F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > bee..beep..beep..BEEP..BEEP..WTF BMW really?
proTUNING Freaks

08-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
bee..beep..beep..BEEP..BEEP..WTF BMW really?

Not even sure if this is the right place to post this.

I had this beeping issue since I got the car new, it was faint and hardly noticible.

Today I got the car back from the dealer getting a software update, more specific ''DME" flash or some bull like that..

Well the beeping is unbearable! And what I mean by unbearable its so annoying, my fiance automatically said WTF is that?!

Well see and hear for yourself. By the way. ITS NOT PHONE INTERFERENCE! I drove around with the phone bluetooth OFF! Nope still did it! I drove around with the phone OFF, nope still does it. Phone not even in the vehicle, yep you guessed it still does it. This is just bull S***!

08-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Did you take it back to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Did you take it back to the dealer?
I honestly had the radio up on the way home with all the windows down, never noticed it.

I just literally discovered it about an hour ago and recorded it and posted the video. I contacted my friend who is a tech at my local BMW and who actually did the DME upgrade, he said thats "crazy" never heard such a thing.

Its going back tomorrow.
      08-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

My car has done exact same thing. Comes and goes. Fortunately, haven't heard it for a couple months. There was another thread on this board discussing same issue.
      08-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post

I had this beeping issue since I got the car new, it was faint and hardly noticible.

Today I got the car back from the dealer getting a software update, more specific ''DME" flash or some bull like that..

Well the beeping is unbearable! And what I mean by unbearable its so annoying, my fiance automatically said WTF is that?!
So you have a 2012 335i and the beep has been an issue since you got the MY 2012, though less audible.

Had the car at the dealer for other upgrades and you did not ask about it - nor have you ever -on a 2 MY old car you purchased new that has done if from the beginning?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
My car has done exact same thing. Comes and goes. Fortunately, haven't heard it for a couple months. There was another thread on this board discussing same issue.
Wow. Yeah its been doing it since I bought it. I posted about a while back. But its so LOUD now its ridiculous.
      08-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
So you have a 2012 335i and the beep has been an issue since you got the MY 2012, though less audible.

Had the car at the dealer for other upgrades and you did not ask about it - nor have you ever -on a 2 MY old car you purchased new that has done if from the beginning?
No because it was very faint, to be honest it didnt bother me that much. Plust it went away. But now that its this loud its so annoying. Quite a few people on here have reported this issue but none that are this loud.
      08-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quite a few people on here have reported this issue but none that are this loud.
Mine has been that loud. I've been on BT calls and had the other side ask me about an annoying noise on the call.

I've already isolated several items that are not causing it. Still does it with A/C off (completely off, no blower). Also tried changing A/C modes and switched to heat. Same noise.

Also does it without Nav/entertainment running. Did a forced reboot of Nav while I heard noise and nothing changed even during reboot cycle.

I think its an electronics module or LP fuel pump under rear seat.
      08-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Mine has been that loud. I've been on BT calls and had the other side ask me about an annoying noise on the call.

I've already isolated several items that are not causing it. Still does it with A/C off (completely off, no blower). Also tried changing A/C modes and switched to heat. Same noise.

Also does it without Nav/entertainment running. Did a forced reboot of Nav while I heard noise and nothing changed even during reboot cycle.

I think its an electronics module or LP fuel pump under rear seat.
Same here, I tried a/c on and off. Still same result. I was thinking a module under the dash or the Fuel pump behind the fire wall the HPFP. Not sure but I would love to know what it is.
      08-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
dli1237
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13 328xi

Mine does that as well, I can't determine if any louder than the video. But its loud enough both me and passenger can hear it.

Most of the time it beeps at the beginning of the drive, goes away after several mins... However I am not able to duplicate the issue, its here and there.

Havent taken it in yet, last time I had fuel injector replaced it took over a week, sort of dont want to live without my car that long.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #11
gomichaelkgo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Mine too. The service writers acted like they had never heard of the issue. The mechanics said they hear of it all the time and the service writers are trained to do that.

I sincerely hope there's a fix for it soon.

Here's what mine sounds like:

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dli1237 View Post
Mine does that as well, I can't determine if any louder than the video. But its loud enough both me and passenger can hear it.

Most of the time it beeps at the beginning of the drive, goes away after several mins... However I am not able to duplicate the issue, its here and there.

Havent taken it in yet, last time I had fuel injector replaced it took over a week, sort of dont want to live without my car that long.
Yeah I know how being without it feels. Just curious why did it need a new injector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomichaelkgo View Post
Mine too. The service writers acted like they had never heard of the issue. The mechanics said they hear of it all the time and the service writers are trained to do that.

I sincerely hope there's a fix for it soon.

Here's what mine sounds like:

I knew me posting up this video would bring more people in here with the same issues. The service writers never know or "act" like they never heard of any issue. I always get a puzzled look. Then I speak to my Technician friend and he says oh yeah "that's common" or "known".

We just need to bring and keep bringing this issue to BMW until they stop pretending their hearing doesn't go below 10dB.
      08-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
dli1237
Enlisted Member
Rep

The injector issue was another issue that many of us had to deal with.

Symptoms: Rough idle, stalling, during bumper to bumper traffic, car will try to die. In park if you rev the engine (as a test), you will see RPM drop all the way down then try to pick itself backup, when that happens, Navi and all Electronics in the car will power cycle. auto stopped auto start will not crank over...

The most annoying part, even after the service, it's constantly in my head wondering if rough idle is coming back or if another injector need to be replaced.

Quote:
Yeah I know how being without it feels. Just curious why did it need a new injector?

I knew me posting up this video would bring more people in here with the same issues. The service writers never know or "act" like they never heard of any issue. I always get a puzzled look. Then I speak to my Technician friend and he says oh yeah "that's common" or "known".

We just need to bring and keep bringing this issue to BMW until they stop pretending their hearing doesn't go below 10dB.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Cant you guys in the usa lemon this if they cant fix it?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i
Not sure to be honest. It's not a mechanical defect and everything is functioning properly. It's more of an annoyance then anything else IMO.

I doubt they would even entertain the idea of "lemoning it." But you never know.
      08-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
Though Lemon Law is different in every state, most require the problem to make the car undriveable or a serious safety issue if able to drive.

I guess one could argue that a constant beeping was distracting to the point of causing a safety issue, but I suspect it would be a long fight and most likely one would have to get a lawyer involved (at buyers cost out of pocket) to fight BMW to accept it under Lemon Law.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Though Lemon Law is different in every state, most require the problem to make the car undriveable or a serious safety issue if able to drive.

I guess one could argue that a constant beeping was distracting to the point of causing a safety issue, but I suspect it would be a long fight and most likely one would have to get a lawyer involved (at buyers cost out of pocket) to fight BMW to accept it under Lemon Law.
Ill be the 1st to tell you I'd rather just turn up the music then go that route. Sure it's annoying but I'm not paying a lawyers thousands to go fight something you may not even win.
      08-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
egon0119
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Just a thought but it may not be electronics related at all. I don't have a link to the original thread but someone else had what they described as a "whistling problem". Theirs was mostly a constant beeeeeeep which would sputter in and out. The irregular sputtering suggested to me that it was something mechanical producing the noise. But I'm not a mechanical engineer so I could be completely wrong.

Anyways.

Spectrogram showing the beep/whistle at about 3,000Hz:

And if you have a tech or service writer who don't appreciate how annoying the beep is use this site to demonstrate: http://onlinetonegenerator.com/?freq=3000 (Works on smartphones).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Very cool post . Yeah I'm in agreement it may very well be mechanical. If I had to guess, I'd day fuel pump.

My tech has been updating me via text as he was working on the car he can't replicate the beep. I told him to take the car home, I really want this solved.
      08-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
Sunny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Hey guys, I have an E90 but wanted to post. I have been fighting a very interesting noise that sounded as if it was coming from the dash area. Mine was a high pitched electrical noise, both the dealer and I thought it was the stereo (or a ground loop). Turns out as I figured out today, it was a vacuum line that controls the exhaust valve in the stock sport exhaust! The noise was getting worse and worse and driving me crazy for almost a year. I was messing around today, decided to unplug the exhaust valve and boom, noise is gone!

Just a thought, it may not be what you think...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
The only reason I would say its not the exhaust valve is because on the f30's it's an electronic actuator not vacuum.

But it's still worth looking into, I'll tell them to check it.
      08-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #22
dli1237
Enlisted Member
Rep

Mine is getting worse by the day. the beep beep beep now is constantly......

when my service is due, for certain i will hope be able to duplicate it and have dealer fix that.
Appreciate 0