F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Removing Front Bumper / Fascia and License Plate Bracket
GetBMWParts

06-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Removing Front Bumper / Fascia and License Plate Bracket

I just want to start of by saying, if you are attempting this and you damage or break something, I am in no shape or form responsible. So be careful take your time and have fun with it. If you get frustrated walk away for a while and have a beer.

The reason I did this was even though I live in a state where a front plate is not required for some reason they mounted a bracket on my fascia so I wanted to remove it. Plus this will help the future M-Sport fascia upgrade if anyone chooses to do so...

Dont try to drill out the rivets, because they are not rivets! They are T-25 screws shot from the inside of the fascia, I just by chance wanted to do it the harder way and remove my fascia, plus I was curious to how its done.

Tools: Really all you need is screwdrivers and ratchets, but i have a right angle Makita so I prefer that.
8mm socket and ratchet
T-25 bit
T-30 bit
Pin Puller or pick tool

Start on Top
I would protect the bottom of the fascia with something, and lay some sort of tarp blanket what ever you have underneath it so you dont scratch it.
Remove the weather strip from the hood/facia.
PIC 2. You will see the exposed T30 on top 6 total. The 2 t25's are already visible they are located on the right and left sides there are only 2 of them. Undo all of these and place in ziplock bags for safe storage.

PIC 3. Then move to the wheel well splash shield. You will need to start the car a few times and turn the wheel to create space. This is where the 8mm's are (4) note you may not need to remove the inboard 8mm but I did. Unscrew the 8mm's in the splash shield and (2) long 8mm's in the shoulder of the fascia screwed into the fender. Do this to both sides. NOTE PIC 4 shows 2 shoulder 8mm screws.

Move underneath the fascia. You will see 8-8mm screws and 6 push pin style scrivets. Remove all of these. Pretty straightforward you may need a pin puller to take out the scrivet, I used a pick just pull straight down.

Its almost ready to come off. But 1st there are some electrical connections to undo and the washer hose.

PIC 5 shows the camera disconnected, do this on both sides if you have a camera. Both sides, Left and Right. Directly Underneath that will be your fog lamp connection undo that as well.

PIC 6. Now on the Right side of the car is the washer hose connection if you have this option. Locate the little spring like device on it and push down while pulling up on the hose it will pop right off. CAUTION washer fluid will start to pour out, so immediately stow it up, I used the fender as a stow and no fluid will come out, shown in picture. Again dont forget to disconnect the camera on this side if you have it.

PIC 7 Disconnect the fog lamp connections on the RH side this one has 2 connections shown in picture. You are ready to start pulling off the Fascia.

PIC 8 This shows you where the plastic arrow tab is still holding the Fascia on, gently pull up on it with your finger, you may have to do it from underneath the car. Then slowly start pulling the Fascia off, DO NOT FORCE anything! Just play with it and it will come right off.

Place it somewhere aside and you are ready to reove the plate bracket. Just unscrew the 6 t25 screws and it pops off. Unfortunately now there are holes, but maybe a vendor can chime in here and provide us with some painted push pins of some sort to cover the holes . Also they used 4 way locators for the bracket so there are 2 extra holes to cover up.

To reassemble just follow in reverse and take your time. Good Luck, and have fun. Make sure to reconnect everything and start the car make sure your cameras work, and fog lamps work.

This took me maybe an hour. I do work on cars alot, its my life. I can say that this was one of the easiest front bumpers I have ever removed.

Hope this helps you guys in the future.

EDIT: Added a few more photos, just for the visual.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jadar; 06-19-2012 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: Adding INFO
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Great writeup, thanks for sharing!
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Yes you do

If you are from Chicago. Illinois law requires you to display a front and rear plate. The section is 625 ILCS. 5/3-413.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
If you are from Chicago. Illinois law requires you to display a front and rear plate. The section is 625 ILCS. 5/3-413.
Lol im very clear on Illinois front plate law. But Nope Indiana resident. I did disclose above I live in a state where a front plate is not required.

I work in Chicago, and I also grew up in Chicago. My car was also purchased by my Indiana dealer from Germany, I'm not sure why the put the bracket on this particular car because all other brand new cars at this dealer did not have the brackets pre installed.
      06-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
lol they have a law for that here in HI as well but I do see lots of people who simply do not care about it

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
lol they have a law for that here in HI as well but I do see lots of people who simply do not care about it
Yep, I see alot of people in Illinois runnin only the rear plate. I mean in all honesty if I lived in Illinois I would def run a front plate, its just not worth the hassle by the cops.
      06-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Yep, I see alot of people in Illinois runnin only the rear plate. I mean in all honesty if I lived in Illinois I would def run a front plate, its just not worth the hassle by the cops.
Required here in Ohio too, but I've never installed a front plate on any car I have ever owned since my very first car 17 years ago. I've never been pulled over for it, and it was never mentioned the handful of times I have been pulled over for other reasons. Same with window tinting- the law is 50%, but I have had 20% on every car with no questions. I will continue to take the risk until I actually get a ticket.
Appreciate 1
killit9.00
      06-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's a bit how I feel about it. I know people who don't have front plates here and never get into trouble with the cops but I just know I would get into trouble... I don't know why but I just attract that I guess

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's a bit how I feel about it. I know people who don't have front plates here and never get into trouble with the cops but I just know I would get into trouble... I don't know why but I just attract that I guess
I hang out downtown alot, I know Id get a ticket, they dont play there. One minute late on the meeter and youre getting a fine! Thats mainly why If I lived there id just follw the rule cuz it be too much trouble.
      06-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hang out downtown alot, I know Id get a ticket, they dont play there. One minute late on the meeter and youre getting a fine! Thats mainly why If I lived there id just follw the rule cuz it be too much trouble.
That's probably what's my problem. I often visit certain areas such as Waikiki, or the airport, and those places are crawled with cops xD

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's probably what's my problem. I often visit certain areas such as Waikiki, or the airport, and those places are crawled with cops xD
Yeah but urban life gets boring so fast whats the point if you cant take a nice ride in your nice car....ya know.
      06-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #12
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah but urban life gets boring so fast whats the point if you cant take a nice ride in your nice car....ya know.
lol tell me about it.. there are certainly times I miss living in Europe, where I could just jump in my car, cross the border and just keep driving to places that I haven't been to before...

Now, not so much lol.. I have covered pretty much every inch of the island and all you can really do here is just drive around the island. It's a nice drive, I have to agree when someone say that, but to be honest, it does get a bit boring sometimes

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #13
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Now, not so much lol.. I have covered pretty much every inch of the island and all you can really do here is just drive around the island. It's a nice drive, I have to agree when someone say that, but to be honest, it does get a bit boring sometimes
You deserve a smack in the face for complaining about living on Hawaii!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #14
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
You deserve a smack in the face for complaining about living on Hawaii!
Haha nah, don't get me wrong, it's really great living here, but the grass is always greener at the other side. When I'm in Europe I miss Hawaii, when I'm in Hawaii I miss Europe lol

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

So are there 6 or 8 holes hidden behind this thing? If I have to put 6 or 8 plugs on my bumper I'm just leaving it...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
So are there 6 or 8 holes hidden behind this thing? If I have to put 6 or 8 plugs on my bumper I'm just leaving it...
8 stupid holes! I figured I take it off otherwise all that work was for nothing.
      07-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Done and it looks 100% better, I installed the m performance grilles as well. I wanna thank you for taking the initiative and posting all the steps. The inner shoulder long 8mm was the hardest to take off.

Did you find any solution to the holes left in the front bumper. My car is black and the holes r hard.to notice but I was just wondering.
      07-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince300 View Post
Done and it looks 100% better, I installed the m performance grilles as well. I wanna thank you for taking the initiative and posting all the steps. The inner shoulder long 8mm was the hardest to take off.

Did you find any solution to the holes left in the front bumper. My car is black and the holes r hard.to notice but I was just wondering.
Youre welcome, Im glad it helped you. Yes that 8mm shoulder screw snuck up on me as well, but I dont force anything. I take my time.

As far as for the holes, I had leftover black saphire touch up form my e90. I found the smallest possible push pins and was able to prime and paint them. You can buy these from a few vendors on here already painted, but I just did my own. No chipping or peeling issues. Im still not 100% happy with the way it looks, I may take it to a shop and get them filled.

This is what it looks like with the pins installed. It would have been ok if it was 4 holes like they do on the e90 but some genius got the idea to secure it with 6 screws and on top of that use 4 way locators as if the screws werent enough. I wanna beat the guy that did it!
Attached Images

07-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

me too
      07-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
Youre welcome, Im glad it helped you. Yes that 8mm shoulder screw snuck up on me as well, but I dont force anything. I take my time.

As far as for the holes, I had leftover black saphire touch up form my e90. I found the smallest possible push pins and was able to prime and paint them. You can buy these from a few vendors on here already painted, but I just did my own. No chipping or peeling issues. Im still not 100% happy with the way it looks, I may take it to a shop and get them filled.

This is what it looks like with the pins installed. It would have been ok if it was 4 holes like they do on the e90 but some genius got the idea to secure it with 6 screws and on top of that use 4 way locators as if the screws werent enough. I wanna beat the guy that did it!
Holy shit, talk about overkill

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
1.fresh.f30.335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xdrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Live in New England area and all of the states require it, but I think of them more as guidelines, I mean the cops are only going to see the back of the car anyways

'14 535i xdrive M-Sport Carbon Black w/Mocha Nappa
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.fresh.f30.335 View Post
Live in New England area and all of the states require it, but I think of them more as guidelines, I mean the cops are only going to see the back of the car anyways
You're right. I have NEVER seen the front of a car. Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids....
Appreciate 0