F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Total noob AT question
Studio RSR

03-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Total noob AT question

Is there a way to put 8 speed AT on an F30 M sport 335i into "manual mode?"
I know you can use the paddle shifters, but does the AT override and shift if you take it up near redline?

I guess what I'm asking is: can you get a significant MT feel from the paddle shifters of the AT?

All my BMWs in the past have had MT. I'm compromising since I will be using it as a daily driver and not tracking the car (like I did all my others). It would be good if I could open it up on a back road and feel like I am actually controlling the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Slap the shifter to the left and its full manual control with the paddles or shifter.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
vitchie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Garage List
If you put the car in manual in Sport+ mode it will bounce on the limiter and not upshift for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

If you move the AT to the left it will be in manual mode, and it will let you shift with the lever or paddles (and not intervene). As far as getting the feel of manual with this? No, I find that 8 gears is way too much for manual shifting, and without the clutch you don't get the same feel. I decided to go to AT because of the comfort, and the fact it's a very good auto. There is no right or wrong decision. I'm just happy with the AT.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Slap the shifter to the left and its full manual control with the paddles or shifter.
Thanks. When I test drove the car, the SA didn't show me that.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
If you move the AT to the left it will be in manual mode, and it will let you shift with the lever or paddles (and not intervene). As far as getting the feel of manual with this? No, I find that 8 gears is way too much for manual shifting, and without the clutch you don't get the same feel. I decided to go to AT because of the comfort, and the fact it's a very good auto. There is no right or wrong decision. I'm just happy with the AT.
I'm definitely set on AT too. It's good to know you can at least play with it a bit.

I assume it does not have the same feel as an e46 m3 with smg. That does not have a manual clutch either, but it works like a manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitchie View Post
If you put the car in manual in Sport+ mode it will bounce on the limiter and not upshift for you.
Really?! I didn't expect that. Sport+ sounds a bit crazy for the road. Is it true there is no traction control with it on?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm3 View Post
Really?! I didn't expect that. Sport+ sounds a bit crazy for the road. Is it true there is no traction control with it on?
Traction control stays on. Stability control is greatly reduced. I think. I might have that backwards.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
joeyb26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Traction control stays on. Stability control is greatly reduced. I think. I might have that backwards.
I think you have it backwards, not 100% sure but i believe its the other way around
      03-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That makes more sense (though I think joey is right). On my e46 you could disable traction control by hitting the dsc button and by holding it for 5 seconds turn off stability control.

Does anybody know if you can further turn both traction and stability control off?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #11
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
That makes more sense (though I think joey is right). On my e46 you could disable traction control by hitting the dsc button and by holding it for 5 seconds turn off stability control.

Does anybody know if you can further turn both traction and stability control off?
"Sport +" mode. However the eLSD will remain active.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:05 PM   #12
chopshop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M Sport Estoril Blue

Nothing wrong with tracking the zf8hp? Thought it would hold up fine. I wouldn't do the 6-hour in it, but still....
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 02:03 AM   #13
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Does anyone know if there's a difference in shifting/speed between the manual vs auto shift? I almost feel like it's faster when the shifter is pushed over for sport mode, but manual shifting is not used.

Could just be my imagination though.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #14
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
yes. Sport+ puts the traction control/stability control in "dynamic" mode which means it's turned way down, but still there as a last resort.....though weak.

Press and hold the button and it says it's OFF. I have not had it on a track to test the difference yet and no way I am testing it on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
Does anyone know if there's a difference in shifting/speed between the manual vs auto shift? I almost feel like it's faster when the shifter is pushed over for sport mode, but manual shifting is not used.

Could just be my imagination though.

-Don
Sport tightens the shift points and holds RPMs higher, using manual mode when in Sport will retain the faster shifts as well. So yes, putting the shifter in SPORT will result in quicker shifts.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #15
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Do yourself a favor and stick to Sport mode; instead of Sport+.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...black+sapphire
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #16
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post

Too many Fast and Furious wanna be's out there. They are amazing drivers and don't need no traction control.

Yeah, there really are very few good reasons to disable traction control/stability on the road. I used to have to disable traction control on the GTI but only because with the Stg 2+ it would freak out and pulse the brakes even without it getting out of control, didn't want to warp my rotors and ruin my pads early. Stability control was always on when on public roads.

That OFF setting is for the track only.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #17
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:

Definitely a bummer this guy accidentally lost control, but it may have nothing to do with Sport +.

I'm starting to use Sport + a lot more lately, as it seems to have the best compromise of throttle response, quick shifting, safety and...well...fun. When Sport + is on, DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) is enabled (but DSC is still on)...so you get a wee bit of slip while accelerating, but it's quickly reigned in.

I've yet to try everything disabled (holding down DTC button for 5 seconds). Too skeered. Here's a handy table I've seen posted elsewhere on this forum.

Also, the 8AT shifts way quick when in manual mode, and with either Sport or Sport +. Love it!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Definitely a bummer this guy accidentally lost control, but it may have nothing to do with Sport +.

I'm starting to use Sport + a lot more lately, as it seems to have the best compromise of throttle response, quick shifting, safety and...well...fun. When Sport + is on, DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) is enabled (but DSC is still on)...so you get a wee bit of slip while accelerating, but it's quickly reigned in.

I've yet to try everything disabled (holding down DTC button for 5 seconds). Too skeered. Here's a handy table I've seen posted elsewhere on this forum.

Also, the 8AT shifts way quick when in manual mode, and with either Sport or Sport +. Love it!
That's exactly what I was looking for. Glad to know there is still the option to turn it all off. No plans to track this one, but that's what I said about my 330.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #19
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
I'm starting to use Sport + a lot more lately, as it seems to have the best compromise of throttle response, quick shifting, safety and...well...fun.
But according to the chart, there is zero difference in all those things between Sport and Sport+, the only difference is the DTC.....which you don't need on the street.

BTW, thanks for the chart, really makes everything clear. I have my SPORT setup to only change the suspension/steering because if I want performance driving I will be in MANUAL anyway, but it looks like I still lose some throttle response that way even though the manual shift speed is the same.

Dang. LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
But according to the chart, there is zero difference in all those things between Sport and Sport+, the only difference is the DTC.....which you don't need on the street.
Supporting the findings in the chart, BMW F30 Chassis Dynamics data gives DTC as the only difference above Sport, when using Sport+. DTC is a change in thresholds to sub functions within the DSC suite, Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Driving Dynamics Control (FDR). Translates to a little less rear brake intervention when moving off the mark and when out on the road and pushing on a bit.

Not sure where some users get the idea Sport+ changes all the settings to another level.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #21
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

I can tell you, from experience, that the yaw correction in Sport+ is significantly diminished (if present at all), compared to Sport. Took a turn on a slick surface (purposely) and goosed the throttle hard and the back end rotated significantly to where I was almost unable to correct with the steering to "catch" it. This.....in a situation where I willfully induced a yaw moment.

I'm wise enough to know that I'm no Senna; should the above have happened, unanticipated, I would not have been able to stop it.

Again, do yourself a favor and stick to Sport setting.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #22
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
I can tell you, from experience, that the yaw correction in Sport+ is significantly diminished (if present at all), compared to Sport. Took a turn on a slick surface (purposely) and goosed the throttle hard and the back end rotated significantly to where I was almost unable to correct with the steering to "catch" it. This.....in a situation where I willfully induced a yaw moment.

I'm wise enough to know that I'm no Senna; should the above have happened, unanticipated, I would not have been able to stop it.

Again, do yourself a favor and stick to Sport setting.
If there is any chance of a slick surface, I'd never use Sport +. Otherwise, for me, Sport + is preferred. It's the whole reason to have RWD.
Appreciate 0