F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Doors and trunk lack that quality feel
proTUNING Freaks

02-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #45
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Yeah and if it's a female passenger I always open and close the door for them--and it ain't because I'm chivalrous.

careful...with you having to walk around the car, it gives your hitchhiker/passenger enough time to lock the car and start it (keyless starter) and drive off.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #46
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
careful...with you having to walk around the car, it gives your hitchhiker/passenger enough time to lock the car and start it (keyless starter) and drive off.
I don't pick hitchhikers. However, hypothetically with the key fob always in my pocket, I suppose the car would start. But what happens when the person gets to a destination and tries to get out without the fob in proximity?
      02-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #47
Spartan
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Precisely.

The trunk feels tinny. A little sound treatment quickly, cheaply and easily addresses this.
I don't know how much something like dynamat weighs, but I would imagine that treating all the areas on a F30 to give it that "solid" feel would result in a weight increase that would be detrimental to performance.

Personally, I am fine with the doors and trunk as is. I'd rather have doors that are lightweight and strong vs. heavy and sound solid.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #48
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I don't pick hitchhikers. However, hypothetically with the key fob always in my pocket, I suppose the car would start. But what happens when the person gets to a destination and tries to get out without the fob in proximity?
strip the car for parts. if you have a M-sport, it's "as good as gold" hahaha

seriously though, 3 pages about door weight?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #49
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
It's just an expensive cheap car. You're expecting too much. A dollar just doesn't go as far as it used to.
+1...extra quality skimpage vs the e9x...To bad the car is such a great driver or Id toss it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #50
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I don't know how much something like dynamat weighs, but I would imagine that treating all the areas on a F30 to give it that "solid" feel would result in a weight increase that would be detrimental to performance.
It is not heavy, and one does not apply it to add weight.

Instead, it dampens the tinny sound as the unsupported, thin sheet metal resonates with closing the trunk. Adding a bit of dampening material deadens this sound. It is akin to removing a rattle from the interior; it makes the car feel more solid.

It only takes a couple of ounces of dampening sheet to stop the vibration. If the weight is of concern, do not up size your happy meal at lunch and you will be all set.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #51
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk
If the weight is of concern, do not up size your happy meal at lunch and you will be all set.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #52
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520d -15

This thread is just comedy gold.

First world problems at its best...
      02-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #53
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

doors and trunk solid here
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #54
TomDenmark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' 320i ActiveFlex

Sounds and feels good here.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #55
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Instead, it dampens the tinny sound as the unsupported, thin sheet metal resonates with closing the trunk. Adding a bit of dampening material deadens this sound. It is akin to removing a rattle from the interior; it makes the car feel more solid.

It only takes a couple of ounces of dampening sheet to stop the vibration. If the weight is of concern, do not up size your happy meal at lunch and you will be all set.
had the whole front doors dynamat when I had new speakers installed and it does slam a bit better than the rear doors.

I wouldn't dynamat for a more solid door closure. it was for the audio upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #56
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by focal
Quote:

had the whole front doors dynamat when I had new speakers installed and it does slam a bit better than the rear doors.

I thought about doing that. How much did it help? Worth it?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #57
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I was impacted by the same storm and with the same timeframe as you.

You should also look at the other side of the equation. Now more than ever, companies are running as lean as they possibly can. Laying people off. Not hiring back. All that in the name of increasing their profit margin, because, after all, what good is a company that doesn't post a steady and unlimited increase in its profit margin year after year, right? At one point you have to cut corners somewhere. The fact that PECO only employs 2,500 employees for a customer base of 1.6 million seems odd to me. That they had to get people from as far away as Canada to help them out with this storm just proves how lean they are running their company. What if Canada said "tough luck". What is plan B?

It is the customer's right and duty to express his satisfaction or dissatisfaction with a service he's paying hundreds of dollars a month for. It has nothing to do with bitching at the people that are trying to help them. It's bitching about the execs in charge. In a monopoly people can't vote with their wallets so they vote with their voice. Sorry if that bothers you, but I see this as normal, healthy and necessary.

Obviously you haven't experienced PECO's response time with service connections in times of calm weather. I'm sure you would change your tune if you had experienced several weeks of delays in a construction project due to PECO's lack of professionalism. Unless you work for PECO. Of course my bills are always right on time.

PECO reminds me of Septa in their management style... Wonder if you ever tried taking the bus or train on a regular basis. Sorry, Septa and "regular" don't belong in the same sentence. lol.

You're missing the bigger picture. For the 99.99% of the time that there aren't outages requiring line crews, what would they do with all of those idle crews? They DO have a game plan in place. They mobilize crews from all over the country. There's a commitment on both ends so there never would be a "touch luck, we're not coming" scenario. This is the way it's done by all utilities, not just Peco. My company happens to be one of those on the storm response roster. We were involved with the Sandy restorations last year as well as numerous hurricane recoveries including Katrina.

And while I don't disagree that it's everyone's right to vent when they're frustrated, it's utterly selfish to do so to the very people who are trying to help you. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the guy scaling that pole in front of your house has zero influence on the decisions the company as a whole makes.

Oh, and "right and duty"? You're paying hundreds of dollars a month based on your actual consumption. It's not a fixed amount. Use less and you'll pay less. Don't like Peco - sign with one of the alternative suppliers.

I'm not interested in a debate. I'm just amazed that anyone is so short sighted that they think it's OK to complain about the fact that they're dissatisfied about something that rarely (if ever before) happens that is so far from business as usual.

You're welcome by the way.
We had a similar situation here a few years ago. It was during fall though so only an inconvenience. I didn't yell at anyone. However, the expectation of thank you's is a little much. I don't get thank you's for doing my job.
      02-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #58
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40
Quote:
Originally Posted by focal
Quote:

I thought about doing that. How much did it help? Worth it?
Hard to tell. Put new speakers in also at the same time. I know the extra $100 for materials isn't a big expense and in theory it should be helping. I didn't dynamat previous cars (e60 and mk4 Jetta) and didn't notice resonance in the door at loud volumes neither. But maybe if I added after I would hear the improvements.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #59
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
We had a similar situation here a few years ago. It was during fall though so only an inconvenience. I didn't yell at anyone. However, the expectation of thank you's is a little much. I don't get thank you's for doing my job.
That's a shame. You should. It's quite nice. I get both money AND recognition - from my boss, my peers, and our customers - and it makes for a significantly more pleasant work experience than money alone.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #60
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
That's a shame. You should. It's quite nice. I get both money AND recognition - from my boss, my peers, and our customers - and it makes for a significantly more pleasant work experience than money alone.
That must be nice. Hang on to that job.
      02-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #61
bbq
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Wrong. It's an expensive car, that is expensive. BMW always have been expensive and exclusive. If your reference point is your old 7 series or whatever, then yeah I can see a 3 series feeling less expensive than a 7 series... Duh.
They are "marketed" as expensive cars in North American.

In Europe or other Asian countries BMW are not that expensive nor exclusive. You can buy very stripped down Bimmer (small engine, manual cloth seat, etc) outside of NA. It shouldn't be a surprise otherwise what do you expect average people in German going to drive? There are plenty of more expensive European and Japanese cars for the rich people in those countries.

In fact in some countries BMW are associated more with taxi than luxury cars.

Last edited by bbq; 02-19-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #62
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq View Post

In Europe or other Asian countries BMW are not that expensive nor exclusive. You can buy very stripped down Bimmer (small engine, manual cloth seat, etc) outside of NA. It shouldn't be a surprise otherwise what do you expect average people in German going to drive? There are plenty of more expensive European and Japanese cars for the rich people in those countries.

LOL. I'm European dude. BMW IS luxury in Europe and considered a car brand for the upper crust of society. I see you don't have a location in your profile. I don't know where you're from, but if you're from Europe then you must be really disconnected from the realities of your fellow countrymen. In Germany you do see more BMWs than other European countries (obviously) but it's still a hell of a lot of money for the average German. Only place I can think you might be from is some oil rich Scandinavian country or one of the tiny countries over there. Protip: you should travel to western Europe and get a taste of the average life there.

And Asia? Let's not even talk about it. I mean where the hell do you go in Asia for BMWs to be "not that expensive". It's only like.... 100,000 the average salary or something? Please don't say Singapore or some other non-representative location where you have a class system where only the upper class gets to buy those luxury goods while 99% of the population is starving. Japan is richer but people are not rolling in money to buy BMWs like it's a Toyota hatchback.

The US is the country where BMWs are the most affordable in the world. And people still consider it a car of the rich.

Get real man.

Last edited by ft1330; 02-19-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #63
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq View Post

They're still classified as a luxury car...yes even in Europe and Asia. They just have a more robust selection in Europe because there's demand for those types of cars over there.

If BMW figured it could make money by selling those cars in the States, they would.

And your last sentence is categorically incorrect. Yes in Europe I've seen E-Classes and 5 Series as taxis (pretty common), but it does not mean that they're "associated more" as taxis. In fact, pretty much everything you said is false.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:19 PM   #64
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

bbq isn't so misinformed, due to running cost many of the larger displacement optioned out mercedes & BMW's that are standard in the U.S. are the upper echelon of their European counterpart model ranges and a range of small displacement less optioned cars are available for lesser running cost and insurance.
There have been 4cylinder E-classes in G.B. for twenty years before the high powered clean diesel E arrived for the first time this year in the U.S.
And cars like the Honda Accord can be seen as the equal to - for instance - a Mercedes C- class where as in the U.S. most people wouldn't associate their equality.
No doubt Mercedes & BMW cars are premier brands, but whereas Mercedes buses and trucks are common in other continents they don't exist in the USA except for the Sprinter.
Back in the early nineties cars like the Honda Civic and Nissan 240SX not sold in N. Africa ( mainly due to leaded gas ) had very high cache in those markets.

Point being there is some truth in all the post on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #65
s0nu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 428i AW/CR

I definitely feel that way about the trunk, but it's because of the how the drunk is made. Wish at this point that power trunk was something that was provided in the premium or tech package in the F30's.. Guess not (unless they changed that post 2012, who knows)
[Jet Black 2009 328xi E90]
[BSM 2004 330CI E46 6MT ZHP]
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #66
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
LOL. I'm European dude. BMW IS luxury in Europe and considered a car brand for the upper crust of society. I see you don't have a location in your profile. I don't know where you're from, but if you're from Europe then you must be really disconnected from the realities of your fellow countrymen. In Germany you do see more BMWs than other European countries (obviously) but it's still a hell of a lot of money for the average German. Only place I can think you might be from is some oil rich Scandinavian country or one of the tiny countries over there. Protip: you should travel to western Europe and get a taste of the average life there.

And Asia? Let's not even talk about it. I mean where the hell do you go in Asia for BMWs to be "not that expensive". It's only like.... 100,000 the average salary or something? Please don't say Singapore or some other non-representative location where you have a class system where only the upper class gets to buy those luxury goods while 99% of the population is starving. Japan is richer but people are not rolling in money to buy BMWs like it's a Toyota hatchback.

The US is the country where BMWs are the most affordable in the world. And people still consider it a car of the rich.

Get real man.
+1
Appreciate 0