F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 17" wheels and non-runflats?
proTUNING Freaks

01-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
nyc_f30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive base

17" wheels and non-runflats?

I've recently purchased a 2014 328i xdrive. It's the base model with non-adaptive suspension and 17" wheels, everything is still pretty much stock but I did take off the all-season runflats and put on a pair of Sottozero serie 2 17" runflats for the winter. I'm a skier, and I do a lot of late-night driving in cold places so run-flat just makes sense to keep from getting stranded someplace cold and nasty.

Thinking ahead to next spring, my question is this: Has anybody personally tried non-runflats (e.g. Conti Extremecontact Sport or Hankooks) in 225 width on 17" with stock suspension? How does this feel?

My intended goals for the car are: I think I may be more of a ride-comfort-oriented driver at heart than a performance enthusiast, though I do get a little spirited at times, think Taconic State Parkway--if you're a New Yorker you know what I'm talking about. :-D I might never ever track this car, but if I do, I'd probably have fun no matter what tires are on it.

The next thing I do, before thinking about switching suspension will be swapping the tires again in the spring. Eventually I'm thinking about upgrading to Bilstein B6 or something like that. Stock suspension seems to float/oversteer in the rear a bit on even relatively small highway pavement bumps, and I don't think I would mind if the dampers were a little stiffer, but I think I want to keep stock ride height.

Last edited by nyc_f30; 01-08-2018 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0