F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Negotiating when special ordering?
proTUNING Freaks

10-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

Negotiating when special ordering?

How does this work exactly?

In the past when I've bought a car I went in, negotiated the new vehicle price hard, and then once that was settled I negotiated the trade for what it was actually worth. Only then did I sign the dotted line. But I've always bought cars in stock since I've always bought VWs which have everything bundled in the trim lines (thus no need to special order).

But say I want to special order a car from the factory.

Do I negotiate hard based on current incentives and get the dealer to agree to lock them in regardless of what's available when the car comes through? I've always assumed it was such that you at worst will get the incentives that were available when you ordered the car, plus any additional/better incentives that are in place when the car shows up. Is this always the case? I can't imagine agreeing to a higher price at delivery due to worse incentives.

And next question, how about the trade negotiation? I can understand that mileage and condition may change during the eight weeks it takes to get the new car and I could understand the dealer being unwilling to lock in a trade value, but how does the trade work? Again I'd hate to hear a value of X at time of order and then have them say "oh new trade values from NADA or wherever have been published since you ordered so now that your car is here you are getting $1000 less for your trade.

So, since most here special order, how are these issues handled?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
AweSam8
Super Spectacular Awesome Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E70 X5M, 2014 F30 335i M

What I did was email 3 different BMW dealers around me. I told them what I want, and each gave me different prices. Then I went to each dealer to get my car (trade-in) appraised. Waited a few days to make sure I spec'd all the options I wanted, and then emailed the highest 2 priced (including trade-in value) dealers back to ask them to beat it. And that's it! Pick the best price/dealer, lock-in the trade in value and incentives. Then the waiting game begins.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AweSam8 View Post
What I did was email 3 different BMW dealers around me. I told them what I want, and each gave me different prices. Then I went to each dealer to get my car (trade-in) appraised. Waited a few days to make sure I spec'd all the options I wanted, and then emailed the highest 2 priced (including trade-in value) dealers back to ask them to beat it. And that's it! Pick the best price/dealer, lock-in the trade in value and incentives. Then the waiting game begins.
This is good advice. I did the same thing on my e90. Walked into dealer, told them exactly what I wanted and how much I wanted to pay. They tried to negotiate, I went to another dealer and got a better deal, then weft back to original dealer and they beat that one. :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

If you are looking into a 3 or 4 series, you can get $500 over invoice for the car you are "building". Build it on BMWCONFIG.com, and find out what invoice is, and go for $500 over that price.

If you don't get that from a few dealers, walk away and wait a few days. They'll always come around.

Also, get your trade in locked in beforehand, so that they don't budge on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

I dont see the 4 series available to build on BMWconfig???
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
glangford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

I didn't special order, but I did get a quote for a car via Internet first. Buying a 328d, I wasn't sure I wanted the one on the lot or special order. The sales manager confirmed that if I special ordered, I'd get the same amount (in percentage) off on an ordered car. So pick something around your price from their inventory, negotiate on that, then tell him you want to special order and ask for the same off.

I ended up loving the one on the lot and bought that one. It had more on it than I'd get if I had special ordered.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp82 View Post
I dont see the 4 series available to build on BMWconfig???
BMWConfig is out of date. The best way to estimate the invoice price is to take 7% off of the MSRP.

Also, not many people are getting $500 over invoice for the 4 series right now. If you're interested in 4 series pricing, there's a new thread about it every day on this forum

Last edited by mntbiker; 10-17-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
If you are looking into a 3 or 4 series, you can get $500 over invoice for the car you are "building". Build it on BMWCONFIG.com, and find out what invoice is, and go for $500 over that price.

If you don't get that from a few dealers, walk away and wait a few days. They'll always come around.

Also, get your trade in locked in beforehand, so that they don't budge on this.
You know "invoice" isnt dealer cost right?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
That is right, TRUECAR.com, when it first came out, was actually listing dealer cost which is below factory invoice
1. Dealer cost
2. Factory Invoice
3. MSRP
4. Truecar price

Dealers got together and may have actually started a law suit but got Truecar to take off the dealer cost. What a great tool that was, even though it was short lived.

BTW I configured a loaded 428i on truecar and their price was ~5.5% below MSRP
      10-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker View Post
BMWConfig is out of date. The best way to estimate the invoice price is to take 7% off of the MSRP.

Also, not many people are getting $500 over invoice for the 4 series right now. If you're interested in 4 series pricing, there's a new thread about it every day on this forum
Correct and incorrect. People have posted about getting $500 over invoice.

Initial orders have already been picked up. Demand will slowly start to decrease, especially with colder months up ahead for most of BMW's markets. $500 over invoice isn't impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Duh, but do you really think dealer's will sell a car at or below their cost unless absolutely necessary?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
VikH
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
How does this work exactly?

In the past when I've bought a car I went in, negotiated the new vehicle price hard, and then once that was settled I negotiated the trade for what it was actually worth. Only then did I sign the dotted line. But I've always bought cars in stock since I've always bought VWs which have everything bundled in the trim lines (thus no need to special order).

But say I want to special order a car from the factory.

Do I negotiate hard based on current incentives and get the dealer to agree to lock them in regardless of what's available when the car comes through? I've always assumed it was such that you at worst will get the incentives that were available when you ordered the car, plus any additional/better incentives that are in place when the car shows up. Is this always the case? I can't imagine agreeing to a higher price at delivery due to worse incentives.

And next question, how about the trade negotiation? I can understand that mileage and condition may change during the eight weeks it takes to get the new car and I could understand the dealer being unwilling to lock in a trade value, but how does the trade work? Again I'd hate to hear a value of X at time of order and then have them say "oh new trade values from NADA or wherever have been published since you ordered so now that your car is here you are getting $1000 less for your trade.

So, since most here special order, how are these issues handled?

Thanks.
I just negotiated an order on a 2014 335i xDrive. I emailed a bunch of the dealers in the Chicago area and bounced them off each other. In the end I was able to get 10% off MSRP (with incentives) and a good deal on my trade-in.

Always try to keep the rebates/incentives out of the deal until the very end since that is guaranteed cash from BMW NA. The dealership I went with immediately offered to lock-in the pricing for my trade-in so I got lucky. This is contingent that I put on a few thousand miles between now and when the new car is delivered (6-8 weeks). The other dealerships were not willing to lock-in the appraisal, but I believe you would eventually be able to get them there with hard negotiating.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #12
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

OP if you would like a no hassle quote please feel free to shoot David an email at bmwdavid@icloud.com we deal with tons of indiv orders as well as regular orders and we quote great deals. No need to negotiate and waste time we have set pricing. We can also offer you various delivery options since you are out of state

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
james550imanual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw x5, g80 M3

member of costco? Their auto buying service has negotiated pricing with select BMW dealers..most of which are selling close to invoice. Try them as well
Appreciate 0