F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Any way to "upgrade" iDrive?
proTUNING Freaks

05-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Any way to "upgrade" iDrive?

Hey guys, newbie here on Bimmerpost...

I'm aware that you can update the iDrive software in your BMW via a USB flash drive, but was wondering if there's any way to actually upgrade the iDrive to a newer version.

I'll explain: I have a 2014 F30 320i, without navigation. I took my car in for an oil change the other day and got a loaner car, which was a 2015 F30 320i, without navigation. Pretty much the same options, just a different color interior and no sunroof... But I noticed the interface of the iDrive in the loaner car was slightly different than mine. The layout and menus were the same, but the way the screens switched was a little more animated, and it was a little smoother-running than the iDrive in my car.

The changes were very subtle, but enough to make me want it! Lol. Anyone know if it would be possible to upgrade my version to that version? I'm assuming I'd probably have to find somewhere/someone to download the software from and then do some coding...

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post

I'm aware that you can update the iDrive software in your BMW via a USB flash drive, but was wondering if there's any way to actually upgrade the iDrive to a newer version.

I'll explain: I have a 2014 F30 320i, without navigation. I took my car in for an oil change the other day and got a loaner car, which was a 2015 F30 320i, without navigation. Pretty much the same options, just a different color interior and no sunroof... But I noticed the interface of the iDrive in the loaner car was slightly different than mine. The layout and menus were the same, but the way the screens switched was a little more animated, and it was a little smoother-running than the iDrive in my car.

The changes were very subtle, but enough to make me want it! Lol. Anyone know if it would be possible to upgrade my version to that version? I'm assuming I'd probably have to find somewhere/someone to download the software from and then do some coding...
Yeah, I think you are referring to this as the more animated version

Vs. this older one.

The new one is supposedly new infotainment system - NBT introduced in 2013. I have a 2013 vehicle with built day 11/2012 but the interface looks like the second picture.
I would love to know if anybody can tell me how to upgrade. When I go to update the software, BMW shows mine is the latest version with the less animated version.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post

Vs. this older one.

The new one is supposedly NBT introduced in 2013. I have a 2013 vehicle with built day 11/2012 but the interface looks like the second picture. I would love to know if anybody can tell me how to upgrade. When I go to update the software, BMW shows mine is the latest version with the less animated version.
You can't without upgrading the headunit. Different/newer hardware is required for the updated iDrive software.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Vs. this older one.

The new one is supposedly new infotainment system - NBT introduced in 2013. I have a 2013 vehicle with built day 11/2012 but the interface looks like the second picture.
I would love to know if anybody can tell me how to upgrade. When I go to update the software, BMW shows mine is the latest version with the less animated version.
Yes Jon, that's the one! I love it. I'm just wondering why the newer head unit wasn't put in my vehicle if it was introduced in 2013 and my car was manufactured mid-2014. I guess because it's a 320i and they don't usually offer all the available features. Or maybe they had too many left over and had to use them up in the new vehicles. Probably both, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
You can't without upgrading the headunit. Different/newer hardware is required for the updated iDrive software.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Ah well, my lease will be up in 2.5 years, so hopefully by then I can get my 2017/18 440i M Sport with all the latest and greatest!
      05-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

If you ordered the pronav then you would have the first one (NBT), the second one is based off the CIC interface.

If you really want it then you can retrofit the NBT into your car. No dealer will offer it but it's been done loads of times by members on this forum. I've done it myself and boy does it lift the interior.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
If you ordered the pronav then you would have the first one (NBT), the second one is based off the CIC interface.

If you really want it then you can retrofit the NBT into your car. No dealer will offer it but it's been done loads of times by members on this forum. I've done it myself and boy does it lift the interior.
Did you go for the full Nav NBT etc? How much and how long did it take you? Did you end up coding yourself?

I haven't started learning about the coding yet, but I am pretty good at software and hardware (electrical engineer), hopefully get up to speed really quickly.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I know BimmerTech offers the NBT Navigation retrofit with full coding, but I'm not sure if that kit alone comes with all the parts necessary to make it function properly. Also, I'm not sure I want to spend that much on the retrofit, it's a bit of an investment for me if I'm only gonna have the car a couple more years or so.

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...ation-retrofit

I like DIY projects and I'm pretty confident I could do the hardware installation myself, but not the coding. Did you do the coding yourself or did you use a 3rd party such as BimmerTech?
      05-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
kabamaru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f20 ed

Go for the NBT retrofit. I did the same upgrade a few days ago, the bigger screen + the more functions definitely are a huge (and must have in my opinion) improvement. Installation is actually pretty easy, if you already have bluetooth is almost plug and play. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours and after you do this once, then you should do this in 15-20 minutes.
The best place to find cheap nbt's is the ebay. In europe you can buy anything needed + the emulator at a cost of 700 euros.
Coding the nbt is not difficult at all but you can always ask for the help of a pro at a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Honestly guys, I would just order it from the factory when you purchase the car. I went from CIC to NBT on my 2012 328i and functionality was pretty much exactly the same. NBT isn't that great if you don't have built in Telematics and you can't use the system to its full potential without it.

I have NBT EVO on my new 2015 228i xDrive Convertible and I have much more functionality compared to before like Live Traffic, Internet, Remote Services, Concierge and also built in LTE connectivity.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 05-13-2015 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Honestly guys, I would just order it from the factory when you purchase the car. I went from CIC to NBT on my 2012 328i and functionality was pretty much exactly the same. NBT isn't that great if you don't have built in Telematics and you can't use the system to its full potential without it.

I have NBT EVO on my new 2015 228i xDrive Convertible and I have much more functionality compared to before like Live Traffic, Internet, Remote Services, Concierge and also built in LTE connectivity.
I know, but when I bought my car. It goes for about 2k under invoice for a "on-the-lot" sale so custom ordering wasn't on my mind at that point. If I could do it over, I would have added the lighting, the M, the tech, and the NAV.
Now the car is two years old and almost paid off, I don't feel like starting a car loan to get another one. The trade-in route was basically a ripped off after taking it to the dealers. They wanted me to pay almost 10k more for those options and give me a used one with more miles, I rather modify my current car.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #11
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru View Post
Go for the NBT retrofit. I did the same upgrade a few days ago, the bigger screen + the more functions definitely are a huge (and must have in my opinion) improvement. Installation is actually pretty easy, if you already have bluetooth is almost plug and play. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours and after you do this once, then you should do this in 15-20 minutes.
The best place to find cheap nbt's is the ebay. In europe you can buy anything needed + the emulator at a cost of 700 euros.
Coding the nbt is not difficult at all but you can always ask for the help of a pro at a reasonable price.
By bluetooh, do you mean the regular phone bluetooth or the "enhanced blutooth" I have the former but not the latter. What is the emulator for?
I did find some NBT retro fit around 800USD so might pull the trigger at some point. Still cheaper than factory $3000 :\
Do you think the touch and the non-touch version are interchangeable? I have the non-touch in the car right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F10-F11-...c11750&vxp=mtr

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #12
kabamaru
Enlisted Member
Rep

There are many reasons why people don't actually spec what they want when placing an order for a new car. The NBT is miles better than HU_ENTRY and at a very reasonable cost when retrofiited. Bmw wants more than 2000 euros...
Also you can find used NBTs with Live traffic, internet etc, the NBT EVO is not much better than those NBTs.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know BimmerTech offers the NBT Navigation retrofit with full coding, but I'm not sure if that kit alone comes with all the parts necessary to make it function properly. Also, I'm not sure I want to spend that much on the retrofit, it's a bit of an investment for me if I'm only gonna have the car a couple more years or so.

I like DIY projects and I'm pretty confident I could do the hardware installation myself, but not the coding. Did you do the coding yourself or did you use a 3rd party such as BimmerTech?
Bimmertech has great customer service from what I heard but they also mark up the part at least 300% compared to doing it yourself. Forum members could be helpful too, so depending on your priority: Money vs. Time.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
kabamaru
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
By bluetooh, do you mean the regular phone bluetooth or the "enhanced blutooth" I have the former but not the latter. What is the emulator for?
I did find some NBT retro fit around 800USD so might pull the trigger at some point. Still cheaper than factory $3000 :\
Do you think the touch and the non-touch version are interchangeable? I have the non-touch in the car right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F10-F11-...c11750&vxp=mtr
I mean basic bluetooth with the usb in the armrest. Because you don't have combox the retrofit in your case is very easy.
The emulator is needed to make the car presume that the retrofitted nbt vin is the same with your car's vin each time you start your car. Without this you won't be able to have the nbt fully functional and the navi will not work.
If your car's built is before 2014 the non-touch controller is plug and play.
There is a whole thread for this retrofit, you can find almost anything is needed. I just read it over and with the valuable help of some members i managed to to do the retrofit alone

Last edited by kabamaru; 05-13-2015 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #15
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Bimmertech has great customer service from what I heard but they also mark up the part at least 300% compared to doing it yourself. Forum members could be helpful too, so depending on your priority: Money vs. Time.
I used them a couple months ago to retrofit Sirius satellite radio in my car since it did not come activated. Service was good, the only problem I had was receiving my order, but that was concerning DHL.

I just inquired about that retrofit that I linked in my last response, he said it's $2,500 for all parts (including iDrive Touch controller) and complete coding. That's a little steep for me.

Plus he said I would lose BMW Assist, HD Radio, and Sirius!!! Anybody know if this is true when retrofitting a new head unit? Satellite radio is one thing I cannot sacrifice again, lol!
      05-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #16
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru View Post
There are many reasons why people don't actually spec what they want when placing an order for a new car. The NBT is miles better than HU_ENTRY and at a very reasonable cost when retrofiited. Bmw wants more than 2000 euros...
Also you can find used NBTs with Live traffic, internet etc, the NBT EVO is not much better than those NBTs.
Strictly speaking it's not really Live Traffic, you will get TMC which IHMO utter pants compared to TomTom Live service. A retrofitted NBT will not be/possible enabled for 'Live' traffic aka RTTI because it's paid service plus you car won't have the sim card module.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #17
kabamaru
Enlisted Member
Rep

I can live without live traffic. Not to mention that in my country this service will not work even if you spec the NBT when placing the order. For me, the bigger screen and the navi are the biggest gains updating from HU_ENTRY. Also the office and the EBT are wellcome additions
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #18
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Depending on where you start from (no nav), the retrofit can be very straight forward.

Easiest being:
  • HU_ENTRY with no Combox
  • HU_ENTRY with Combox

If it's the first one you literally just replace the head unit and screen and reconnect the existing connectors, emulator and GPS antenna.

The second option is a touch harder as you need to disconnect the combox (the NBT has a combox built it). Most people will buy additional BT, USB and GPS cables, as moving the cables from the combox (in your boot) to the headunit is a PITA. Also you will need to rewire the microphones to the headunit unit. It's actually not as bad as it sounds!

Both will require coding, again very easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #19
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Depending on where you start from (no nav), the retrofit can be very straight forward.

Easiest being:
  • HU_ENTRY with no Combox
  • HU_ENTRY with Combox

If it's the first one you literally just replace the head unit and screen and reconnect the existing connectors, emulator and GPS antenna.

The second option is a touch harder as you need to disconnect the combox (the NBT has a combox built it). Most people will buy additional BT, USB and GPS cables, as moving the cables from the combox (in your boot) to the headunit is a PITA. Also you will need to rewire the microphones to the headunit unit. It's actually not as bad as it sounds!

Both will require coding, again very easy to do.
I assume I have the HU_ENTRY with no Combox, because I don't have enhanced bluetooth, I just have bluetooth telephone...

So you're saying I just need to find a NBT head unit to replace my CIC, a bigger screen, an emulator, and GPS antenna?

Where did you find your parts? And are there any online resources that teach coding or instruct you on this particular install? I know you said it's easy, but I literally would not know where to begin, as I've never had any experience with it.
      05-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #20
kabamaru
Enlisted Member
Rep

Regarding coding, in my case (HU_ENTRY no combox with basic bluetooth, combi 6WA) everything works fine without any coding (even EBT).
The only "problem" is that when changing driving profiles (from eco pro to comfort etc) the image of an f10 is shown (donor car). I asked the person from which i bought the emulator and he told me that some times the coding is not necessary.
I am thinking to write to my FA all the extras of the donor vin and then VO code NBT. But i am afraid that i will loose some functions.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #21
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I assume I have the HU_ENTRY with no Combox, because I don't have enhanced bluetooth, I just have bluetooth telephone...

So you're saying I just need to find a NBT head unit to replace my CIC, a bigger screen, an emulator, and GPS antenna?

Where did you find your parts? And are there any online resources that teach coding or instruct you on this particular install? I know you said it's easy, but I literally would not know where to begin, as I've never had any experience with it.
For retrofit NBT, ebay is your friend

If your coming from the CIC (HU_CIC), older ProNav then it's little more involved and not as straight forward as I have described.

You can check if you have the combox by look in your boot (top right), near the rear seats, lift up the floor, if you have sliver rectangular box then you have the combox. Note some cars built with no EBT still had the combox so it's best to check.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #22
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

I'm just wishing I could get my NBT istep updated. I have an early build date for MY14, with very early firmware. I can't apply any of the MN/TN updates they have been putting online and I'm doubting they'll ever make any available. I go to the dealer to ask for this and they just look up my VIN and say there are no updates. Yes, I know, that's what I want you to fix!

I just contacted BMW about the upgrade mess.
Appreciate 0