F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > broken headlight on 2016 f30
Extreme Powerhouse

07-27-2023, 01:46 AM   #1
ReaperF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

broken headlight on 2016 f30

So I broke my headlights lens on my 2016 328i, the headlight is LED so how do I go about replacing the headlight ? Do I buy an oem one and just install it? or do I have to do some coding as well?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 03:07 AM   #2
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

You'll need to take the front bumper off and I think there are 5 bolts holding the headlight in. 2 of them are pretty awkward to get to though. You should be able to see the part number on the label on the top of the headlight before you take anything apart so you can find a suitable replacement easily enough. If you look that part number up with RealOEM you might find some other alternative part numbers that can work in place of it too.

A replacement will need coding after but it should be pretty straightforward using Esys, just a case of injecting CAFD to the FLE module that will likely be in red then coding it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 09:55 PM   #3
ReaperF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
You'll need to take the front bumper off and I think there are 5 bolts holding the headlight in. 2 of them are pretty awkward to get to though. You should be able to see the part number on the label on the top of the headlight before you take anything apart so you can find a suitable replacement easily enough. If you look that part number up with RealOEM you might find some other alternative part numbers that can work in place of it too.

A replacement will need coding after but it should be pretty straightforward using Esys, just a case of injecting CAFD to the FLE module that will likely be in red then coding it.
Thank you! Is their any tutorial on the headlight coding ?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 12:45 AM   #4
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperF30 View Post
Thank you! Is their any tutorial on the headlight coding ?
You are being given wrong info. There is no possible way to code the headlights if you wanted to.

You can only code the ECUs that are attached to the headlights. There are 2 to 3 per headlight, depending on headlight type and adaptive or not. You simply move the ECUs over and no coding required.

Otherwise, you will spend several hundred extra on ECU modules that are perfectly fine.

Also as a note, you can find Hella lens replacements on eBay. They are not the easiest thing to get off (you need to bake in oven) and plenty of room to screwup. If your seal is truly waterproof is another issue when resealing. Not for the faint of heart, but much cheaper than a new headlight if good with things like that.
Appreciate 2
Billfitz8244.50
Zheez288.00
      08-03-2023, 09:43 AM   #5
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Yep my bad, I made the assumption that you'd buy a replacement headlight with modules intact which is of course unnecessary. Swap your modules to the new light and you're all good.

Last edited by Zheez; 08-04-2023 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0