F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 Navigation and Audio not working
GetBMWParts

10-09-2022, 11:25 AM   #23
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

I will let others tell you but all head units are the same regardless of car options. What i mean by the same is that if it’s an nbt evo unit, then all cars equipped with nbt evo regardless of car options will have the same HU. Same goes with nbt HU and the cic non nbt HU.

Coding can be done by experienced coders to match. Besides all factory options are not HU related, for example heated seat, sport package, luxury package, lighting package, etc.

Mileage won’t matter cause in this case electronics age is by time, not mileage. i am just telling you to save your money. But it’s your money, you do and spend what you believe in.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 07:26 PM   #24
ReaperF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

I went to go check the version of my navigation and it said their was a map from 2015 and an automatic update for 2019, could my navigation be doing an update, hence not working ?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 10:09 PM   #25
sgrutt22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperF30 View Post
I went to go check the version of my navigation and it said their was a map from 2015 and an automatic update for 2019, could my navigation be doing an update, hence not working ?
From my experience, the updates have to be performed manually and wouldn't just automatically update. You typically have to download the update from your computer onto a usb stick, plug it into your car, and then install the update from the usb stick.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 10:30 PM   #26
sgrutt22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
I will let others tell you but all head units are the same regardless of car options. What i mean by the same is that if it’s an nbt evo unit, then all cars equipped with nbt evo regardless of car options will have the same HU. Same goes with nbt HU and the cic non nbt HU.

Coding can be done by experienced coders to match. Besides all factory options are not HU related, for example heated seat, sport package, luxury package, lighting package, etc.

Mileage won’t matter cause in this case electronics age is by time, not mileage. i am just telling you to save your money. But it’s your money, you do and spend what you believe in.
You're correct not all factory equipment is HU related. However, even among NBT Entry and NBT Evo, you will find units with different connectors on the back based on multimedia factory equipment(primary example being backup camera but others exist). I've put eyes on multiple scrap yard units that have different connectors on the back, so they are not "all the same regardless of car options".
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #27
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrutt22 View Post
Quote:
From my experience, the updates have to be performed manually and wouldn't just automatically update. You typically have to download the update from your computer onto a usb stick, plug it into your car, and then install the update from the usb stick.
Got this message when tried updating software
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 10:04 PM   #28
sgrutt22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmm that's interesting. Also makes me think that the hard drive may be going bad in the head unit like another suggested, if the update won't take after multiple attempts.

If your determined and have time on your hands, I would try and locate all the modules located on the MOST bus that your car is equipped with and check for the fiber optic red light at each connection point to ensure signal is traveling from module to module. I've attached a MOST Bus Diagram for F30 and a link of a guy explaining the MOST bus light test on a older BMW. Luckily, newer cars have much fewer modules that older cars making them easier to diagnose. Signal will originate from head unit and travel to subsequent units, then back to head unit to complete the loop.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 10:10 PM   #29
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm that's interesting. Also makes me think that the hard drive may be going bad in the head unit like another suggested, if the update won't take after multiple attempts.

If your determined and have time on your hands, I would try and locate all the modules located on the MOST bus that your car is equipped with and check for the fiber optic red light at each connection point to ensure signal is traveling from module to module. I've attached a MOST Bus Diagram for F30 and a link of a guy explaining the MOST bus light test on a older BMW. Luckily, newer cars have much fewer modules that older cars making them easier to diagnose. Signal will originate from head unit and travel to subsequent units, then back to head unit to complete the loop.

I'll make sure to check it out when I get the time, btw I noticed if I connect by BT or turn on the radio and turn up my volume to max I can hear faint crackles from the speakers, do you think maybe the amplifiers toast ?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 10:28 PM   #30
sgrutt22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll make sure to check it out when I get the time, btw I noticed if I connect by BT or turn on the radio and turn up my volume to max I can hear faint crackles from the speakers, do you think maybe the amplifiers toast ?
Just watch the video and listen to what the guy has to say. Most technicians that don't know these systems incorrectly assume the amp. The head unit is what gives signal to the rest of the bus as its the master unit. Your best bet would be checking the fiber connection at the amp to see if you have solid blinking red light as shown in video.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 10:29 PM   #31
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just watch the video and listen to what the guy has to say. Most technicians that don't know these systems incorrectly assume the amp. The head unit is what gives signal to the rest of the bus as its the master unit. Your best bet would be checking the fiber connection at the amp to see if you have solid blinking red light as shown in video.
Ok thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 10:44 PM   #32
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just checked their is no fiber optic connection on my amp, i thank the amp in the HiFi system isn't connected to the MOST loop but idk, the connection on the amps pic is attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 11:33 PM   #33
sgrutt22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Just checked their is no fiber optic connection on my amp, i thank the amp in the HiFi system isn't connected to the MOST loop but idk, the connection on the amps pic is attached
That's correct, base audio does have MOST bus connection and receives switch-on signal from separate line, only harmon kardon has MOST bus connection.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 03:33 PM   #34
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Sound randomly came back and then went away, wtf bmw XD
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 11:29 AM   #35
sgrutt22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
You can try and buy a Bluetooth OBD diagnostic scanner that connects with an app called BimmerLink. The app is like $35 and the BT scanner would be around $20-30. That would allow you to clear codes and read the system. It's never a bad thing to have when you own a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 09:37 PM   #36
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can try and buy a Bluetooth OBD diagnostic scanner that connects with an app called BimmerLink. The app is like $35 and the BT scanner would be around $20-30. That would allow you to clear codes and read the system. It's never a bad thing to have when you own a BMW.
I've ordered a Enet cable and when that arrives I'm gonna use ISTA+ to check for fault codes
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 07:17 AM   #37
sgrutt22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I've ordered a Enet cable and when that arrives I'm gonna use ISTA+ to check for fault codes
Let me know what you find out. ISTA+ is awesome if you tech savvy enough to get it setup on your computer. I personally don't have it because I only use Apple computers and ISTA only runs on Windows.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 03:02 PM   #38
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Let me know what you find out. ISTA+ is awesome if you tech savvy enough to get it setup on your computer. I personally don't have it because I only use Apple computers and ISTA only runs on Windows.
Everything came out fine with ISTA+, I also replaced the amp with no difference, I fixed the navigation is starting issue by just reloading a new version of the Maps but can't fix the the audio issue for some reason. I also heard that the audio passes through the ASD (Active sound design module) before going to the amp, so maybe that's the problem? Or maybe the wiring to the amp could be shorted or messed up ?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 03:53 PM   #39
shopfoufou
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2016

Quote:
I have a 2016 bmw 328i and the navigation is stuck on "starting navigation system" and I have no audio in the car whatsoever including door chimes, Bluetooth, radio. 2 days ago I managed to get everything operational by rebooting my head unit but as soon as I turned the car off and on it went back to how it was, and rebooting it again has no effect. Does anyone know how to fix this problem ?

UPDATE: the ASD (Active sound design) module had gone bad which caused the sound to not work, and for the "navigation is starting" I just reloaded maps.

Hi ,I'm new here and I have the same issue with my BMW 320i 2016.
Is there any fix for that ? Thank you in advance ✌️
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 04:34 PM   #40
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopfoufou View Post
Hi ,I'm new here and I have the same issue with my BMW 320i 2016.
Is there any fix for that ? Thank you in advance ✌️
If you have the same exact issue, did you try the same exact solution that the OP used to solve it?

Otherwise, you need to be more specific with what exactly are the issues you are having.