F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Adding tweeters to base system
Extreme Powerhouse

10-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
excalibur-007
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI

Adding tweeters to base system

Hi,

I have F30 LCI with base audio system (6 speakers) powering by no-nav headunit (EntryNav). Sound is not that bad for me but I want to add tweeters in the front doors to improve little bit sound and car interior.

My solution is to add front door covers with Harman Kardon tweeters and replace front mid-tone speakers as my stock one doesn't have second connector for the tweeter.
This thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=tweeter

My question for you guys is this metode safe for the system and headunit.
I know that front mids and subs are connected in parallel. Will just adding OEM HK tweeter and changing mid to HK make any damage in terms of total impedance. Think that OEM HK tweeters have some sort of crossover.

Thanks for help I just want to be sure before ordering parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You don't need to replace the midbasses to get the tweeter output, just tap the wires to the midbasses. You do have to be sure the tweeters are capacitor protected. Impedance isn't a problem, because the impedance of the midbasses rises as frequency rises, going up rapidly above 4kHz.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
excalibur-007
Rep

Here are tweeters and mids in set that that I am watching. I think these HK tweeters have capacitors on the wire. These mids have already connector for tweeter so this is better option for me because I dont want splice any wire on the car.

Other option is to use wire splitter from ebay or HIFI mid-range speaker (both are 4 oms I think).

I just dont want to damage my headunit with new speakers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Splicing wires isn't exactly brain surgery, but it's your money.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 03:05 AM   #5
excalibur-007
Rep

My idea is if I already remove door trims to replace tweeter why not replace midrange speaker also to achive better sound. I saw on forum that few memebers done that with harman kardon upgrade but other people saying that it can be dangerous for the amp in the headunit.

Thats way I asking for little help
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 07:18 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur-007 View Post
My idea is if I already remove door trims to replace tweeter why not replace midrange speaker also to achive better sound.
Logical, if the replacements are actually better. That's easily determined by examination of the driver Theile/Small specs and measured response charts for both the original drivers and the replacements. What's not easy is finding Theile/Small specs and measured response charts for either the original drivers and the replacements. Hen's teeth are far easier to obtain.

I have measured the specs and response of the stock drivers of my hi-fi system, and they are very high quality, replacement driver advertising claims to the contrary notwithstanding.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
excalibur-007
Rep

So you think that harman kardon mids arent any better than my stock base audio front speakers.

But I still have my concern if I can replace front speakers and add tweeters. I dont wont to damage my idrive with amp overload.

At the and I just wont to add tweeters without cutting wires. Can somebody tell me can I do this and how?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If the Harmon speakers are better it would only be in their power handling. You don't have enough power from your head for it to matter.

I already told you why adding the tweeters won't cause an impedance problem. I can see that it's probably not an explanation that you understand, but you don't have to understand it. I understand it, because I design speakers for a living.

Splicing into the wires to the midbasses is very easy. Find a friend who's done it to help.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
excalibur-007
Rep

Thanks for your help I understood your answer but I don't have much experience in car audio and just a little bit confused reading many articles on net what can be done and what cant.

I will buy than only two Harman Kardon tweeters and two plastic door covers than connect directly to existing stereo system speakers in parallel.

I hope that will improve sound a little.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I should have mentioned before another tweeter option. I added these to my rear doors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is how they look:

JBL (a Harmon company) is sold worldwide, so I assume you could get them, or the Infinity REF-275tx 135W, which is exactly the same. The high pass filter that comes with them is much better than just a capacitor as comes with the BMW Harmon tweeter. I would think it could be mounted on the original pieces on the front doors the same way I mounted them on my rear doors. They will work at least as well as the Harmon tweeter and probably save you a lot of money as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #11
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I should have mentioned before another tweeter option. I added these to my rear doors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

This is how they look:

JBL (a Harmon company) is sold worldwide, so I assume you could get them, or the Infinity REF-275tx 135W, which is exactly the same. The high pass filter that comes with them is much better than just a capacitor as comes with the BMW Harmon tweeter. I would think it could be mounted on the original pieces on the front doors the same way I mounted them on my rear doors. They will work at least as well as the Harmon tweeter and probably save you a lot of money as well.
I'm sorry drag an old thread up. I too want to just add a set of tweeters. I have the stock 6 speaker setup at the moment.

If I was to buy a set like the jbl one and just fit those would it do any damage or should it be ok?

Thank
Stu
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:23 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Read Post #2.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:52 PM   #13
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Understand that adding tweeters to the Stereo (BMW name) system will make your audio sound brighter than standard. This is because the OEM HU output signal is tuned for the mids to make up for the lack of tweeters - adding tweeters will make two drivers output highs instead of only one.

You may compensate for this brightness by using a 2-way crossover with adjustable tweeter attenuation with your tweeters. Instead of wiring the tweeters in parallel with the mids, wire the mids and the tweeters to the 2-way crossover and then adjust the tweeter output to your taste.

MB Quart and Eton offer adjustable 2-way crossovers or a fixed crossover designed especifically for the BMW Stereo system.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #14
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Understand that adding tweeters to the Stereo (BMW name) system will make your audio sound brighter than standard. This is because the OEM HU output signal is tuned for the mids to make up for the lack of tweeters - adding tweeters will make two drivers output highs instead of only one.

You may compensate for this brightness by using a 2-way crossover with adjustable tweeter attenuation with your tweeters. Instead of wiring the tweeters in parallel with the mids, wire the mids and the tweeters to the 2-way crossover and then adjust the tweeter output to your taste.

MB Quart and Eton offer adjustable 2-way crossovers or a fixed crossover designed especifically for the BMW Stereo system.
Thank you. I really appreciate your time.

Thanks again👍

Thanks Bilifitz.

I was just double checking I had read it right.

Thanks again 👍
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Sure. It's wise to be concerned about the effect on impedance when adding another driver, because the overall load is the square root of their sum. However, because of the inductance of the midrange voice coil its impedance rises with frequency. This is an impedance sweep of the Hi-Fi midrange:

The minimum impedance is roughly 3 ohms, rising above 1kHz. At 4kKz, where the tweeter comes into play, the midrange impedance is up to 5 ohms, rapidly rising above that, so the combined impedance of the two remains within the amp's comfort zone. Below 4kHz the tweeter impedance rises as well, from the effect of the high pass filter.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #16
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur-007 View Post
So you think that harman kardon mids arent any better than my stock base audio front speakers.

But I still have my concern if I can replace front speakers and add tweeters. I dont wont to damage my idrive with amp overload.

At the and I just wont to add tweeters without cutting wires. Can somebody tell me can I do this and how?
CIC/NBT OEM HU (Navigation Professional) units are stable down to 2ohms, Business Navigation or Media HU may or may not be stable at 2 ohms depending on the manufacturing date.

This means that Navigation Professional HU outputs will be stable if you add a 4ohms tweeter to the mids - OEM tweeter + mids + woofers in parallel = 2ohms. For OEM HU that are not 2ohms stable then BMW adds a cap to the mid to keep it from becoming 2ohms in parallel with the woofers.

The capacitor is to protect the OEM HU output impedance limit, not for sound quality.

The easiest way to know if your OEM HU will be stable when adding 4ohms tweeters to the Stereo system is to check if the OEM mid has a cap in it or not - if there is a cap in the mid then OEM HU is not stable at 2 ohms, no cap then OEM HU is stable at 2ohms.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 06:22 PM   #17
andredequeiroz
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 2015

Quote:
You don't have enough power from your head for it to matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
The easiest way to know if your OEM HU will be stable when adding 4ohms tweeters to the Stereo system is to check if the OEM mid has a cap in it or not - if there is a cap in the mid then OEM HU is not stable at 2 ohms, no cap then OEM HU is stable at 2ohms.
I'm sorry for reviving an old thread.
I have a basic F30 2015 with stock 6 speaker setup at the moment (and a slim subwoofer under the passenger seat (that I can remove it if I can achieve my main objective detailed below).

I'm looking for the best value for money option (and less invasive process) to improve the sound experience (power and quality).

The biggest difficulty would be buying the original wiring harness and dismantling the entire car to install OEM solutions (HK or HI-FI)(besides the harness + amplifier being super expensive here in Brazil). For all these reasons I decided to buy the VIBE POWERBOX 65.4 BMW3 amplifier.

The problem now is choosing the ideal speaker option for this configuration (that are compatible with this amplifier).

I'm a little lost about the impedance and the OEM setup of the speakers (front speakers in parallel, how the subwoofers works with the door speakers, etc). (The HI-FI subs seems to have 2 ohms).

Can you help me with that? Can I use BMW HI-FI speakers with this Vibe amplifier?
Should I keep my stock speakers and just install this amp?

My IDrive is the CIC.

Hope you can help me.
Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 09:34 PM   #18
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If you have the base system, with no separate amp, you should upgrade the speakers to handle the extra power that the Vibe amp will provide. The Hi-Fi or H-K speakers are as good as any, and can usually be found used at a low price, being sold by those who believed the advertising and replaced them with third party speakers. There are threads by others who've added amps to their base systems, search them out. It's an easy enough job if you know what you're doing, but if you don't it's probably best to get professional help.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 05:41 AM   #19
andredequeiroz
Rep

Quote:
If you have the base system, with no separate amp, you should upgrade the speakers to handle the extra power that the Vibe amp will provide. The Hi-Fi or H-K speakers are as good as any, and can usually be found used at a low price, being sold by those who believed the advertising and replaced them with third party speakers. There are threads by others who've added amps to their base systems, search them out. It's an easy enough job if you know what you're doing, but if you don't it's probably best to get professional help.
Thanks for the help!
And about the impedance of the HI-FI subwoofers?? Can I change my stock subs (4 ohms I think) to the 8" HI-FI 2 ohms ones??

I'll look for these threads!!
Thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 07:56 AM   #20
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The Hi-Fi woofer nominal impedance is 3 ohms, with DCR of 2.4 ohms. If you have the base system your current woofers are 6.5 inches, so you may need to replace the enclosures as well as the woofers.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 08:37 AM   #21
andredequeiroz
Rep

Quote:
The Hi-Fi woofer nominal impedance is 3 ohms, with DCR of 2.4 ohms. If you have the base system your current woofers are 6.5 inches, so you may need to replace the enclosures as well as the woofers.
Exactly!! I have the base system with 6.5" woofers. This change of impedance is ok?? Call to mind that I'm going to install the Vibe amp.

Here in Brazil I can find it used, woofers + enclosures (the HI-FI. HK is hard to find).

Its plug and play, right?!

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 11:30 AM   #22
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Your Vibe owners manual will tell you what impedance loads it will handle, along with how to set it all up.
Appreciate 0