F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Stolen Navi screen and unit
ARMA SPEED

09-16-2022, 08:29 AM   #1
biosdi
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d Gran Coupè

Stolen Navi screen and unit

Hi.

Sadly this morning I found my car (EU F36 420d 2015) open with stolen Navi screen and central unit (photo attached). Some only few cut wires.

A couple of questions:

1. Can I buy the screen and unit, and mount myself? Is there any coding required?

2. Some BMW dealers offered me “refurbished “ devices. I called BMW and they stated that it’s not an official BMW behavior. So I suspect that “refurbished” units are “stolen” units. Is there any way to know exactly which unit was installed in my car in order to compare data with “refurbished” one?

Thanks a lot
Attached Images

Last edited by biosdi; 09-16-2022 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 07:15 PM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

My guess is a "refurbished" one is a customer upgrading their NAV, and left the old unit behind. That royally sucks. At least they had the decency to remove the screws in a nice way, but why cut the wires???

I think as long as you get the same version (mine is the NBT EVO Idrive 4 for example) you can just install and use it. Someone else may chime in and say otherwise though.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #3
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Quite concerning how many of these threads we're seeing these days. I presume that head unit/iDrive screen theft has always been a thing but has it stepped up in recent months or what?

Whatever head unit you buy will need coding to your car. It may need more than that too, such as FSC codes for NBT/NBT Evo to activate navigation and other features.

Quadlock is intact but they've clearly cut your MOST optical cable for some reason. Luckily this can be easily replaced as, on my car at least, it's actually a really short cable (30cm or so?) that goes from the head unit to another connector below and to the right of the head unit recess. They've cut the USB cable and that looks some one of the antenna cables too.

The other connector you've got there looks to be an OABR connector so given that your car is a 2015, I'd say you had NBT Evo and most likely ID4.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 01:08 PM   #4
AntF32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive - Carbon Black

Was speaking to a friend last week who had his F32 stripped whilst he was out of the country. The car was parked in a garage at the rear of his property, they literally stripped it to a moving shell!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #5
biosdi
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d Gran Coupè

Thank you guys for your contribution. I upgraded to a ID5/6 unit, replacing MOST cable (10euro on Aliexpress!) and USB (5euro on Aliexpress), and re-soldering FM/AM and Bluetooth cable.

Thanks again for your information
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 05:09 AM   #6
BBB_lover
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Hi Bro! sounds great

Is it possible that you share a little more detail?
I have the same issue and want to replace the entire unit with a used one.
I can do some DIY stuff, but a little guidance would be appreciated

thanks!
Appreciate 0