F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 Navigation and Audio not working
Studio RSR

10-08-2022, 02:57 PM   #1
ReaperF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

I have a 2016 bmw 328i and the navigation is stuck on "starting navigation system" and I have no audio in the car whatsoever including door chimes, Bluetooth, radio. 2 days ago I managed to get everything operational by rebooting my head unit but as soon as I turned the car off and on it went back to how it was, and rebooting it again has no effect. Does anyone know how to fix this problem ?

UPDATE: the ASD (Active sound design) module had gone bad which caused the sound to not work, and for the "navigation is starting" I just reloaded maps.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #2
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperF30 View Post
I have a 2016 bmw 328i and the navigation is stuck on "starting navigation system" and I have no audio in the car whatsoever including door chimes, Bluetooth, radio. 2 days ago I managed to get everything operational by rebooting my head unit but as soon as I turned the car off and on it went back to how it was, and rebooting it again has no effect. Does anyone know how to fix this problem ?
Need more info. Is it stock? Installed anything OEM upgrade or aftermarket? Did you upgrade the maps? What type head unit (NBT, EVO)? Did you code it? What are the factory VO codes? Did you clear the error codes already? What are/were the error codes?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Could be the hard drive dying. My wife’s X3 with an NBT unit did some odd things - it said starting navigation but never did and it would reboot itself all the time amongst other things. If you put you ear near where the actual head unit area is can you hear any clicking noises?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #4
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
Quote:
Need more info. Is it stock? Installed anything OEM upgrade or aftermarket? Did you upgrade the maps? What type head unit (NBT, EVO)? Did you code it? What are the factory VO codes? Did you clear the error codes already? What are/were the error codes?
Everything is stock as far as I know and it's an NBT Evo ID 4 with HiFi sound system
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
Could be the hard drive dying. My wife’s X3 with an NBT unit did some odd things - it said starting navigation but never did and it would reboot itself all the time amongst other things. If you put you ear near where the actual head unit area is can you hear any clicking noises?
I thought so but theirs no problems in the head unit, I don't hear any clicking, date and time works (which isn't supposed to if head unit is dying) and I can access the user manual, I can also connect BT and turn on radio, I just don't get any audio whatsoever and navigation never starts.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #6
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Everything is stock as far as I know and it's an NBT Evo ID 4 with HiFi sound system
Try to look up the error codes if any.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:28 PM   #7
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Try to look up the error codes if any.
I'm new to bmws, do you know how I'm supposed to do that ? I used the OBDII scanner and nothing came up
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:39 PM   #8
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm new to bmws, do you know how I'm supposed to do that ? I used the OBDII scanner and nothing came up
It's not an easy setup and takes time. But the best person to ask is shawnsheridan (Shawn) here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...05618&page=152

Nobody should ask for money to use them (Shawn will never ask...but there may be others). All these tools are for free, but need to look for some of the guides as they may be dispersed.

What I would do in your case is to go the easy way and get a cheap ($10) OBDII ELM327 dongle and use Bimmercode or Carista, or other apps (some are free) that can read the error codes in more detail vs a handheld cheap scanner. https://www.ebay.com/itm/14442687687...Bk9SR9Tt6Zj3YA

I am not an expert on EVO (I have NBT), but maybe you can make sure that your headunit has the latest firmware. The BMW USA website has that info, you need to type in your VIN code and then you can download the file (if needed). And try to update/install the correct maps. If I remember that does not require any hacking, etc. Shawn can help you with that too. Some people had issues with NAV after loading the wrong map.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #9
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's not an easy setup and takes time. But the best person to ask is shawnsheridan (Shawn) here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&page=152

Nobody should ask for money to use them (Shawn will never, but there may be others). All these tools are for free, but need to look for some of the guides as they may be dispersed.

What I would do in your case is to go the easy way and get a cheap ($10) OBDII ELM327 dongle and use Bimmercode or Carista, or other apps (some are free) that can read the error codes in more detail vs an handheld cheap scanner.

I am not an expert on EVO (I have NBT), but maybe you can make sure that your headunit has the latest firmware. The BMW USA website has that info, you need to type in your VIN code and then you can download the file (if needed). And try to update/install the correct maps. If I remember that does not require any hacking, etc. Shawn can help you with that too.
Alright I'll make sure to try it out, thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:45 PM   #10
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Factory BMW software update for Infotainment: https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

Last edited by fe7565; 10-08-2022 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:50 PM   #11
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maps: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1588392&page=6
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 05:23 PM   #12
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Maps: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...392&page=6
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 08:32 AM   #13
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

UPDATE, I recently connected my phone to the car and played music with the volume to max and I could hear extremely paint sounds of music playing, do you guys think that this could be a problem related to the amp?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 08:41 AM   #14
sgrutt22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Based on your symptoms of no audio, it seems to be a manifestation of a MOST Fiber Optic Network issue. I'd do some research into the MOST Fiber Optic Network that runs all of the entertainment modules on these vehicles so you have a better understanding of how the system works.

Headunit is always master unit on these networks so if its having an issue, the rest of the modules on the bus won't operate properly either(christmas tree light concept, if one module is bad, the rest won't communicate).

I'm having similar issues on my '14 328i without Nav. Delayed startup time of the unit with no audio whatsoever until the headunit decides to start up then everything works normally. BMW dealer diagnosed as internal short of headunit and recommended replacement for $2500. I have another appointment this week at a independent shop to get a second opinion b/c I don't trust these flat rate dealer techs. Check out this link that I found when I was researching the issue for my car.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 08:44 AM   #15
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

For $2500, you better off buy a used NBT EVO unit that comes complete with the touch screen and new idrive controller. With coding. Even at the higher end price, it would be less than $2000 max.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 08:48 AM   #16
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrutt22 View Post
Quote:
Based on your symptoms of no audio, it seems to be a manifestation of a MOST Fiber Optic Network issue. I'd do some research into the MOST Fiber Optic Network that runs all of the entertainment modules on these vehicles so you have a better understanding of how the system works.

Headunit is always master unit on these networks so if its having an issue, the rest of the modules on the bus won't operate properly either(christmas tree light concept, if one module is bad, the rest won't communicate).

I'm having similar issues on my '14 328i without Nav. Delayed startup time of the unit with no audio whatsoever until the headunit decides to start up then everything works normally. BMW dealer diagnosed as internal short of headunit and recommended replacement for $2500. I have another appointment this week at a independent shop to get a second opinion b/c I don't trust these flat rate dealer techs. Check out this link that I found when I was researching the issue for my car.

I tested the audio system today by playing music and putting the volume on max and I heard faint sounds coming from the speaker which leads me to believe it might me a faulty amplifier, also in my head unit I can connect to Bluetooth but I see on yours it grayed out. My navigation system is still stuck on "starting navigation system" same as yours but I've seen a few posts saying that a bad amp can mess with the MOST system and cause the navigation not to work either, anyways idk I'll probably have to take it to the dealer and get it diagnosed before anything else.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 08:51 AM   #17
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Oh and I'd recommend buying the unit your self and then getting someone to code it rather than paying $2500, I've got someone who's willing to sell the NBT evo head unit for $350 and it's like another $100 for coding, so paying $2500 is not worth it
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 09:08 AM   #18
sgrutt22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I tested the audio system today by playing music and putting the volume on max and I heard faint sounds coming from the speaker which leads me to believe it might me a faulty amplifier, also in my head unit I can connect to Bluetooth but I see on yours it grayed out. My navigation system is still stuck on "starting navigation system" same as yours but I've seen a few posts saying that a bad amp can mess with the MOST system and cause the navigation not to work either, anyways idk I'll probably have to take it to the dealer and get it diagnosed before anything else.
As I mentioned, my car has NBT Entry(without Nav) and this is not my video. This is just a video I found online while researching my issue, but since it mentions Nav I thought I'd share it with you. And I agree, $2500 is not the best route to go.

Unless you have a good relationship and established trust with your dealership, I would strongly advise bringing it to a reputable independent shop. I have a feeling there is something else in my car that caused the unit to go bad which is why I'm getting a second opinion. The guy who's looking at my car this week has over 3 decades of experience diagnosing BMW electrical problems and has diagnosed plenty of MOST system failures throughout his career vs the 6 years of experience the BMW dealer tech had that "diagnosed" mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 09:11 AM   #19
ReaperF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
As I mentioned, my car has NBT Entry(without Nav) and this is not my video. This is just a video I found online while researching my issue, but since it mentions Nav I thought I'd share it with you. And I agree, $2500 is not the best route to go.

Unless you have a good relationship and established trust with your dealership, I would strongly advise bringing it to a reputable independent shop. I have a feeling there is something else in my car that caused the unit to go bad which is why I'm getting a second opinion. The guy who's looking at my car this week has over 3 decades of experience diagnosing BMW electrical problems and has diagnosed plenty of MOST system failures throughout his career vs the 6 years of experience the BMW dealer tech had that "diagnosed" mine.
Alright thank you I'll probably take it to a reputable shop in my area before the dealership, because I don't really trust them either
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 09:11 AM   #20
sgrutt22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
For $2500, you better off buy a used NBT EVO unit that comes complete with the touch screen and new idrive controller. With coding. Even at the higher end price, it would be less than $2000 max.
Looking to sell the car soon and prefer selling with all factory equipment that matches features when decoded by VIN. Don't want to get low balled when whoever I'm selling to realizes its been retrofitted. Appreciate the suggestion though!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 09:47 AM   #21
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Looking to sell the car soon and prefer selling with all factory equipment that matches features when decoded by VIN. Don't want to get low balled when whoever I'm selling to realizes its been retrofitted. Appreciate the suggestion though!
If you wanna keep it all original, buy a used nbt unit for less than couple hundred bucks. Then pay coders to match your vin.

Nobody would know that you replace the HU

Used unit can be found on ebay for cheap.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #22
sgrutt22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
If you wanna keep it all original, buy a used nbt unit for less than couple hundred bucks. Then pay coders to match your vin.

Nobody would know that you replace the HU

Used unit can be found on ebay for cheap.
My car hasn't even hit 45k miles on it as a 2014 so with that said, any used unit I purchase will likely develop the same issue assuming that it will from a higher mileage car than my own. Not to mention, these units came in multiple variations dependent on factory options and would need to be coded accordingly unless it was an exact P/N match.

There is a company in the states that offers rebuilding services for comparable cost to buying a used replacement and will eliminate all design flaws and reprogram to VIN. Thanks for the input though!
Appreciate 0