F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Repair NBT Evo Connector
ARMA SPEED

09-23-2023, 09:30 AM   #1
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Repair NBT Evo Connector

Is this repairable? I purchased this off eBay and unfortunately it was a bit damaged during shipping. I feel like I should be able to bend it back, but if not, can I solder a new display connection on?

EDIT: Found the item on DigiKey https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...A991H/13694690

Last edited by rlesko; 09-27-2023 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 02:35 PM   #2
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30

Hi, I managed to break one of the connectors on my NBT too. I had the idea to solder something like this in place: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005996750147.html
However I failed to desolder and remove the broken connector, but maybe with a heat gun it's more duable? With a solder iron alone i could not get the solder to melt.
As a last resort I soldered the wire directly on the PCB which has since worked out.
Appreciate 1
rlesko232.50
      09-25-2023, 02:42 PM   #3
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly30 View Post
Hi, I managed to break one of the connectors on my NBT too. I had the idea to solder something like this in place: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005996750147.html
However I failed to desolder and remove the broken connector, but maybe with a heat gun it's more duable? With a solder iron alone i could not get the solder to melt.
As a last resort I soldered the wire directly on the PCB which has since worked out.
Thanks for the response. Orientation seems like its off by 180 degrees, and color code is not matching. Didn't have any luck searching for "4+2 pin violet lvds pcb mount", "6 pin violet lvds pcb mount". Any other advice on sourcing the proper connector (orientation + color)?

I'm also wondering if its possible to replace the cylindrical part with the 4 pins, with something like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/25234809346...Cclp%3A4429486
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 07:12 PM   #4
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
Is this repairable? I purchased this off eBay and unfortunately it was a bit damaged during shipping. I feel like I should be able to bend it back, but if not, can I solder a new display connection on?

If damaged in shipping, just return it.

What HW version is it and what did you pay?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 09:48 AM   #5
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
If damaged in shipping, just return it.

What HW version is it and what did you pay?
There are a lot of reasons I don't want to just return it.
  1. Its a 4.1 HW Unit
  2. It came as a bundle with VIN matched ATM
  3. It allegedly has CarPlay FSCs already from donor vehicle, greatly simplifying the coding and installation process for me (Basically just needs VO Coding)
  4. I got an INSANE deal on it, like, so good of a deal even if I had to spend a couple hundred dollars on hardware repairs, it would still be a good deal. Accounting for ATM price, the Evo itself was between $350-400.
  5. The 4 pins inside the connector are in tact. I think there is a good chance that its simply cosmetic damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 02:26 PM   #6
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are a lot of reasons I don't want to just return it.

Its a 4.1 HW Unit
It came as a bundle with VIN matched ATM
It allegedly has CarPlay FSCs already from donor vehicle, greatly simplifying the coding and installation process for me (Basically just needs VO Coding)
I got an INSANE deal on it, like, so good of a deal even if I had to spend a couple hundred dollars on hardware repairs, it would still be a good deal. Accounting for ATM price, the Evo itself was between $350-400.
The 4 pins inside the connector are in tact. I think there is a good chance that its simply cosmetic damage.
This will be interesting. So much you are assuming and have incorrect. Look forward toward your further threads for help.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 03:40 PM   #7
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
This will be interesting. So much you are assuming and have incorrect. Look forward toward your further threads for help.
Sure bro. No one wants your overpriced NBT Evo thats been listed for 2 years. Go be a twat on someone else's thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 03:45 PM   #8
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure bro. No one wants your overpriced NBT Evo thats been listed for 2 years. Go be a twat on someone else's thread.
Your deal was so good, you won’t tell us what is was 🤣

And comical you think there is anything magical about a matched pair. ANY HU can match the ATM VIN in 30 seconds or so and work as a system.

You can even get the FSC’s retransmitted from the BMW Servers from the iDrive menu.

But you bought it hook line and sinker.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 03:49 PM   #9
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Your deal was so good, you won’t tell us what is was 🤣

And comical you think there is anything magical about a matched pair. ANY HU can match the ATM VIN in 30 seconds or so and work as a system.

You can even get the FSC’s retransmitted from the BMW Servers from the iDrive menu.

But you bought it hook line and sinker.
I literally listed the price I paid for the unit, but not surprised that your reading comprehension is at a second grade level and didn't catch it.

Where did I imply that anything was 'magical' about it or the FSCs? Again, your reading comprehension is lacking. Its simply a step that I don't need to do, worry about, or pay someone for.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 03:59 PM   #10
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I literally listed the price I paid for the unit, but not surprised that your reading comprehension is at a second grade level and didn't catch it.

Where did I imply that anything was 'magical' about it or the FSCs? Again, your reading comprehension is lacking. Its simply a step that I don't need to do, worry about, or pay someone for.
Guess my reading skills are better than your memory.

“Accounting for ATM” doesn’t give you the price. Only your oerception, which we see is questionable.

Again, lots of luck on your project. There’s a reason people pay a premium for expertise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 05:51 PM   #11
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Guess my reading skills are better than your memory.

“Accounting for ATM” doesn’t give you the price. Only your oerception, which we see is questionable.

Again, lots of luck on your project. There’s a reason people pay a premium for expertise.
I'm glad we agree that I clearly stated the price I paid for the Evo! You asked me what I paid for it, and I told you what I paid for it. Only in your perverse interpretation of my statement can you take my direct answer to your question as some sort of attempt to obscure the price I paid. If you asked me what I paid for both I would happily tell you.

...Nor does it change the fact that I got a 4.1 HW Evo with VIN matched ATM, the ability to subscribe to connected drive services, and factory FSC's with CarPlay unlocked for hundreds less than you are trying to sell just an NBT EVO.

All that being said, I totally agree it is a complex project, and I am grateful that actual helpful members of the community (read: not you) have taken the time to document and provide instruction on how to perform such retrofits! I'm not sure how the difficulty of this retrofit relates to the original post (it doesn't), but I do note your attempt to shift the goalposts of the discussion.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 12:32 AM   #12
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Yet you have not told what you paid for it. Only the way you are accounting for it. Learn the difference.

Your accounting is out of touch with reality btw.

I’ve seen EVO EVo’s for below what you’ve think you paid for it.

And ATMs for $39

So in that regard, you paid 2x too much.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 02:31 AM   #13
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
It's called 4+2 pin HSD connector, maybe you have more luck with 4+2 than 6.
Found this on the net: https://www.delock.com/produkt/90358/merkmale.html but don't know where they are located.

Did you try to bend it back with some pliers?
Otherwise you could maybe buy normal 4 pin connector and make a 2 wire connector:

https://www.amazon.com/License-Stere.../dp/B07ND66ZDZ
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 06:36 AM   #14
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yet you have not told what you paid for it. Only the way you are accounting for it. Learn the difference.

Your accounting is out of touch with reality btw.

I’ve seen EVO EVo’s for below what you’ve think you paid for it.

And ATMs for $39

So in that regard, you paid 2x too much.
You're a complete clown, LMAO.

I never asserted I paid the lowest price ever for an Evo. However, I paid substantially less for the same Evo you are trying to sell for nearly $1000 (I guess its $750 at the latest price drop). But only a real tool like yourself would assert that I got a terrible deal while simultaneously attempting to sell the same item for nearly double. So you're either a scammer or a liar. You pick!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 06:45 AM   #15
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
It's called 4+2 pin HSD connector, maybe you have more luck with 4+2 than 6.
Found this on the net: https://www.delock.com/produkt/90358/merkmale.html but don't know where they are located.

Did you try to bend it back with some pliers?
Otherwise you could maybe buy normal 4 pin connector and make a 2 wire connector:

https://www.amazon.com/License-Stere.../dp/B07ND66ZDZ
I haven't tried yet but I am going to this weekend when I'm at the garage where I'll have access to a wider range of tools. Thanks for the suggestion on the search criteria, I'll keep poking around.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 07:56 AM   #16
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're a complete clown, LMAO.

I never asserted I paid the lowest price ever for an Evo. However, I paid substantially less for the same Evo you are trying to sell for nearly $1000 (I guess its $750 at the latest price drop). But only a real tool like yourself would assert that I got a terrible deal while simultaneously attempting to sell the same item for nearly double. So you're either a scammer or a liar. You pick!
The comical part it was never $1,000. I did have it higher during Covid when the prices went up everywhere. And lowered with the market.

You paid $599 for your NBT EVO and $30 for a non-Wi-Fi ATM, exactly $100 less than i offered to sell mine for this past weekend but the difference:

1) Mine doesn’t have not have a broken plug. Will be interesting to see how much this eventually costs you.

2) mine came with something much more valuable than you purchased. INFORMATION. Info how to make what you want done to actually work, while you still aware unaware what you don’t know. But you’ll find out.

3) and I’ve already saved you once before from making a bad purchase and never tried to sell mine to you. That was never what this was about. It was current market pricing. How many dollars wasted and mistakes you would have already made.

4) as much as you state in the post above in this thread about the process is well documented, about 90% of those have been with my assistance and every single one of them has had a different gotcha that I worked with the person to resolve. In some cases, I even OVERNIGHTED a replacement on me. Where’s your replacement? In fact, simply scanning your posts since May asking questions about this retrofit shows most of the times your posts are ignored and not answered, even when you bump them.

And on top of that, concerning the potential buyer this past weekend, I told him upfront I would most likely talk him out of buying my unit at $700 and I did. Still I spent an hour on the phone with him explaining all the unique things for his specific vehicle that he would need just for an EVO retrofit. Also several things he wasn’t aware he needed to be done for a simple EVO retrofit in his vehicle, including the proper way to install it, as opposed to what most do on the forum.

So think what you may. But most would consider that $100 cheap.

I maybe sell a radio, sometimes two at most every year and never end up making anything off of it given upwards of 10 hours of my time needed in most cases of helping the person install at no additional charge. I just do it as it was never supposed to be possible and doing that gives me a great deal of satisfaction. If I were doing this for a living, I’d be out of business and broke.

So I’ll just sit back with my popcorn and watch your pleas for assistance (such as this thread).

Should be real entertainment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 08:41 AM   #17
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
The comical part it was never $1,000. I did have it higher during Covid when the prices went up everywhere. And lowered with the market.

You paid $599 for your NBT EVO and $30 for a non-Wi-Fi ATM, exactly $100 less than i offered to sell mine for this past weekend but the difference:

1) Mine doesn’t have not have a broken plug. Will be interesting to see how much this eventually costs you.

2) mine came with something much more valuable than you purchased. INFORMATION. Info how to make what you want done to actually work, while you still aware unaware what you don’t know. But you’ll find out.

3) and I’ve already saved you once before from making a bad purchase and never tried to sell mine to you. That was never what this was about. It was current market pricing. How many dollars wasted and mistakes you would have already made.

4) as much as you state in the post above in this thread about the process is well documented, about 90% of those have been with my assistance and every single one of them has had a different gotcha that I worked with the person to resolve. In some cases, I even OVERNIGHTED a replacement on me. Where’s your replacement? In fact, simply scanning your posts since May asking questions about this retrofit shows most of the times your posts are ignored and not answered, even when you bump them.

And on top of that, concerning the potential buyer this past weekend, I told him upfront I would most likely talk him out of buying my unit at $700 and I did. Still I spent an hour on the phone with him explaining all the unique things for his specific vehicle that he would need just for an EVO retrofit. Also several things he wasn’t aware he needed to be done for a simple EVO retrofit in his vehicle, including the proper way to install it, as opposed to what most do on the forum.

So think what you may. But most would consider that $100 cheap.

I maybe sell a radio, sometimes two at most every year and never end up making anything off of it given upwards of 10 hours of my time needed in most cases of helping the person install at no additional charge. I just do it as it was never supposed to be possible and doing that gives me a great deal of satisfaction. If I were doing this for a living, I’d be out of business and broke.

So I’ll just sit back with my popcorn and watch your pleas for assistance (such as this thread).

Should be real entertainment.
I love how you assume you have all the information around my sale. I did not pay $630 for my pair, in fact, it was nearly $100 less than that. Since you're so obsessed with knowing, I paid $550 for the pair.

The broken plug is irrelevant, I can easily return this unit and I've already discussed a partial refund with the seller if I decide to keep it, etc. So its really irrelevant for the sake of this discussion.

In any case, I already have several points of contact ready when I do decide to install the unit, including local expert help. It seems you think you are the only person who is experienced with this retrofit- I assure you, you are not that special.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 09:46 AM   #18
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love how you assume you have all the information around my sale. I did not pay $630 for my pair, in fact, it was nearly $100 less than that. Since you're so obsessed with knowing, I paid $550 for the pair.

The broken plug is irrelevant, I can easily return this unit and I've already discussed a partial refund with the seller if I decide to keep it, etc. So its really irrelevant for the sake of this discussion.

In any case, I already have several points of contact ready when I do decide to install the unit, including local expert help. It seems you think you are the only person who is experienced with this retrofit- I assure you, you are not that special.
Well you are consistent, I’ll give you that.

You can’t tell the truth no matter what you do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 10:41 AM   #19
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well you are consistent, I’ll give you that.

You can’t tell the truth no matter what you do.
Again, don't presume you know anything about my sale. eBay completed listings does not show the correct price if an offer was made by the seller. So, anything else I can help you with?

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 11:14 AM   #20
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Far cry from your $350 NVT EVO you claimed earlier as we get closer to the truth.

And you told us even more about you.

Anyone who uses eBay knows that there is a “make offer” option available for an item and the item is sold for less than asking price, that list price is X out when you look at the sold listing.

And guess what isn’t shown in the eBay listing I posted?

Why is that?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 11:23 AM   #21
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Far cry from your $350 NVT EVO you claimed earlier as we get closer to the truth.

And you told us even more about you.

Anyone who uses eBay knows that there is a “make offer” option available for an item and the item is sold for less than asking price, that list price is X out when you look at the sold listing.

And guess what isn’t shown in the eBay listing I posted?

Why is that?
From what I saw on eBay & car-part I routinely saw ATM between 150-200 range. This aligns perfectly with what I said wrt the Evo (notice how you purposely picked the lower data point to push a narrative). My advice would be that if you saw a $39 ATM, you should buy it right away (or maybe not because if its too good to be true...it probably is)!

Just because I enjoy proving you wrong at every turn...Offers were not accepted on this item. The seller made use of the ability to send offers to the watchers of the item, which I ended up using to negotiate. Are you actually suggesting that I have fabricated the images I just sent? Lmao, please stop embarrassing yourself.

By your logic, I have $150 of headroom on this lot before crossing the $700 price point for your Evo + ATM that you were pounding your chest over as being a great buy. So how $700 from you is a great buy, but $550 elsewhere is "2x the price" remains to be seen. You must really enjoy ripping people off!

Last edited by rlesko; 09-27-2023 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 11:25 AM   #22
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Oh god why you guys care what the value of the damn thing is.
Unsubscribing this thread.
Appreciate 1
YASBBYM3592.50