F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > False brake vehicle issue message?
GetBMWParts

11-17-2023, 07:54 AM   #1
bootlegatc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330I

False brake vehicle issue message?

Hi, I bought my first BMW a 2018 330i with 53k km 2 weeks ago and the computer showed me I was almost due for an oil change and a brake fluid change (No problem there). The other day after my drive to work, I got a new message indicating my rear brake pads were due for a change in 2'000 km. For context the previous Owner had them replaced at a shop in September and when I installed my winter tires a couple of days ago they were obviously brand new. I was wondering if the mechanic who did the brakes just neglected to go into the computer and mark them as changed or if the brake sensor got damaged. (Someone suggested that could be the case in another forum but I'm skeptical and optimistic). Your input will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 08:03 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That warning is usually mileage based, so whoever last did the brakes didn't update the iDrive. You can update it yourself, no computer required. Search it in youtube videos.

The same applies to the oil and brake fluid. You should have one of these to test the fluid, if it's not broken there's no need to fix it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

As for the oil it should be changed in the late spring, no matter what, to get rid of the crud that builds up in it over the winter. I change mine every late spring even though I only drive about 3,000 miles a year. If you change it now you should still do a late spring change.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 04:26 PM   #3
bootlegatc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330I

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0