F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Powder coating stock rims
Studio RSR

05-15-2017, 12:00 AM   #1
miked07
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 B58 340i x drive

Powder coating stock rims

I plan on powder-coating my stock rims tomorrow and was told by my dealership that it won't be a problem come time for the lease return. I actually have it in writing in an email. Has anyone had a problem returning their lease with powder-coated wheels? Obviously I'm going to a professional and reputable shop, doing them in gloss black.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked07
I plan on powder-coating my stock rims tomorrow and was told by my dealership that it won't be a problem come time for the lease return. I actually have it in writing in an email. Has anyone had a problem returning their lease with powder-coated wheels? Obviously I'm going to a professional and reputable shop, doing them in gloss black.
Yes lots of people have had problems. Getting it in writing is probably best you can do to protect yourself. Not sure who you spoke with but I'd confirm with sales manager, they tend to stick around whereas just regular sales and service guys can be in and out.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 06:23 AM   #3
MrMarvin
electrified
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330e -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Yes lots of people have had problems. Getting it in writing is probably best you can do to protect yourself. Not sure who you spoke with but I'd confirm with sales manager, they tend to stick around whereas just regular sales and service guys can be in and out.
That's a good way of getting a no when you already have a yes

The person who sent that mail sent it on behalf of the dealership, it doesn't really matter if the person has quit by then.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2017, 04:29 AM   #4
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked07 View Post
As the Dealership has no ownership in the car (between you and BMWFS) a note from your mom would be just as valid.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
To OP - make sure you read every clause in your lease contract before modifying your car. Even something like powder coating rims, can be considered a modification from the original state of the car and the dealership will make you buy another set of wheels at lease closeout.

If you intend to do a buyback at the end of your lease - powdercoat away. BTW, emails mean nothing if your contract states something entirely different. Your signature is on the contract and that is legally binding.

Maybe a note from your mom might help...lol
Appreciate 0