F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 Voice Command
proTUNING Freaks

12-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
TreborDrolet
Panfilo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 28d

F30 Voice Command

Hi,
Venting.
Just took delivery of a 2013 328iX. My 2010 323 was a gem. This one I don’t know yet? So I press the Voice Command button on the steering wheel: NOTHING HAPPENS. I scratch my head. It worked in my 323. Button worked! Voice Command made driving safer for me. After some research time I learnt that apparently I had to order an option to get a simple Voice Command on a $50,000 car? I never paid attention to the order process, it’s totally boring, my fault; but it makes NO LOGICAL SENSE to deny what I believe is a safety feature on a 50K car. My wife’s 2010 VW TDI Highline has it!

You have to be mean and desperately anal to show a Voice Command Button on 50K car and deliberately ensuring it won’t work unless you fork over another $300. It kinda feels like “screw you” customer, next time do your home work marketing approach. I’m gonna get even by ordering a TDI Tiguan for my wife in 2013, not a X1.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
G16grancoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 f90

Agreed I have the button and was dumb founded when it didn't work.
I didn't use the voice command feature on my last car but having a button on the wheel that doesn't do anything makes me feel like something's almost "broken"
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
TreborDrolet
Panfilo
Canada
Rep

BMW manufactures very good products. They are a disciplined secretive outfit. They simply lack basic emotional IQ. They are inflexible, they are right and everybody else is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Kuonji
Rep
Drives: 328i

They seriously shouldn't have put the button on at all if the car doesn't support it. They follow this rule with just about everything else.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Welcome to the wonderful world of BMW options, where just about everything cost extra.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Koca
Rep
Drives: In the factory

The Voice Command may be an option, but the button is there, i believe, for Iphone owners - Siri intergration. Bmw was one of the first to have adopted this technology in a car as far as i remember.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuonji View Post
They seriously shouldn't have put the button on at all if the car doesn't support it. They follow this rule with just about everything else.

Not exactly because that is not entirely possible from a cost of manufacturing point of view. My car has icons in the dash for lane departure warning but I don't have that option. It also has the dreaded "clown nose" hanging from the rear view mirror but I don't have the factory alarm so it is useless.

It also amazed me how many capabilities my car has that are "off" from the factory. You can gain access to many cool features through "coding". These are things you can take advantage of with a little research.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

How funny as OP mentioned.

I knew that I wouldn't have nor I wanted the voice commend when I ordered my car. At the time when I took my delivery a month ago, the CA did his best to show me how everything works before I driving away.

I took sweet time allowing him to demo the voice commend, which was not working for sure ! He was sweating and tried to get the SA over...I didn't have the heart to allow that to go on...I told him about why and drove away with 7 miles on...full of rattles and pig squealing from brakes which were another story entirely -

Germens !
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

It's laziness, but at the end of the day someone in the supply chain said "hey, rather than having 2 part numbers for a steering wheel, one with this button and one without it, let's just not have that button work"

There are so many configuration options with these cars you can imagine what would happen when you ordered a replacement wheel after an accident and had at least 6 choices (Standard, M Sport, M performance).

Not saying you can't be upset, but all car manufacturers do things like this all the time. Usually they at least have the decency to add a fake cap or remove the label.
      12-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
TreborDrolet
Panfilo
Canada
Rep

Voice Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koca View Post
The Voice Command may be an option, but the button is there, i believe, for Iphone owners - Siri intergration. Bmw was one of the first to have adopted this technology in a car as far as i remember.
OK. Wasn't aware. I will try it ASAP. Let everybody know if it works.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

i wonder if google now works with it. i will try later.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
elgandashvili
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

I had voice command on E92 and during 3 years never used it but as others said, it seems odd or lazy on BMW part to have a button that does nothing. I assumed it was standard. Would not have ordered separately if I knew but still.....just one disappointment, other than that all good
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

I have the voice command option and it might as well be a dummy button. The voice command works about as well as talking to a jungle fart. I would GIVE you my voice command if I could. It is so useless. Seriously, if I had the option of not ordering it, I would have not ordered it in a heartbeat.

It was the first option my CA wanted to show us when the car was delivered. He was so excited about it. He couldn't even get the voice command to locate their own dealership. After 5 tries, it started getting awkward. Finally my wife said, "Uh, can we move on to something else? I don't think I'll ever use that."

For kicks, I've tried it on several occasions. Not once has it ever got any commands correct. NOT ONCE. POS.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
Koca
Rep
Drives: In the factory

I personally have yet to see a voice command that works as it should - that you maybe have to repeat a command twice and it should get it right.

Also, I do think it has a problem with accents
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

My voice command mostly understands me. I just haven't learned that many commands yet. I remembered "display off", but then I thought "display on" or something would turn it back on. I was wrong. Still don't know what that command should be, or if it even exists.

The navigation works fairly well if I enunciate properly. But definitely not 100%.

A little more RTFM time for me would help...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
nikneo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

so.. what option is required to get voice commands to work? and what voice commands exactly? I was under the impression that controlling the idrive through voice commands was a standard feature

Not that it matters too much to me - I don't really want to talk to my car. I will however talk to my phone when its in the car
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
Latinnftl
Rep
Drives: MY 13 328i Mineral Grey

My voice command is great. I have a 2013 328i. It understands perfectly the commands. There is a glitch when I say play track when search for an artist unless I say all albums first. But otherwise I have had great luck using it for phone calls and for searching my iPhone for music. I have only tried once to use it for address input in the nav. That didn't work well but either does the manual input on any car I've had.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
TreborDrolet
Panfilo
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koca
OK. I tried the. SIRI and it works. Short test, I'll try it again tomorrow. Therefore, If you have an iPhone Holding the Siri button down Appears to activate the BMW Voice command
I asked for a name in my phonebook And it went directly to the name I didn't say dial But pressed the I button to dial.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
TreborDrolet
Panfilo
Canada
Rep

Voice Command

This from:
boltjames
Banned

Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
I noticed that when I push the Siri button, I can fully initiate an ask through the F30(via bluetooth). Is there any way to do this without using the iphone (ie. on the steering wheel)? I tried holding the talk button, but no luck. Thoughts?
No, but you can end the Siri session by pushing the phone button on the steering wheel.

For those that didn't realize, you can use Siri 99% handsfree and eyesfree in your F30. Just push and hold the Home button on the iPhone, put it down, and from there you can use just your voice to do the rest, no looking at the screen, no button pushes needed.

I never needed Siri out of the car, but in it it's an amazing help. You can have texts read to you and you can dictate outbound texts too. If you get a text while driving, Siri will read it to you and ask if you want to reply.

Push and hold the Home button, put the iPhone in the cupholder, and ask:

"What's the weather like tomorrow?"

"How windy is it out there?"

"What's the score of the Yankees game?"

"What movies are coming out this weekend?"

"Post on Facebook 'On my way to the beach in my 3 Series'"

"Remind me to call my mom when I get home"

"Any new email from Michael today?"

"What is today's date?"

"What's the date this Saturday?"

"Wake me up tomorrow at 7am"

"What does the rest of my day look like?"

"What's on my calendar for Friday?"

"When is my next appointment?"

"Schedule a planning meeting at 8:30 today in the boardroom"

You can do this right now in your F30, just have to hit the Home button then put your iPhone down.

Full list of Siri commands here:

http://www.windowstablettv.com/iphon...siri-commands/

BJ
boltjames is offline Reply With Quote
Appreciate 0