F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB stage 1 to JB4
GetBMWParts

10-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
aaron529
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

JB stage 1 to JB4

Hey guys,

I have an otherwise stock 2014 335i with the exception of a JB stage 1 tune which I truly enjoy without any issues.

I am considering upgrading to the JB4 for a $175 with the flexfuel wires.

My question is, is it even worth the 175$ since my car is basically stock with no exhaust etc?

I would like the option to use the flexfuel since it is easy accessible around me.

Also does any have the JB4 with the extended dash (Digital navigation instructions)? How do they like it with the JB4 and any issues?

Much appreciated

2014 335i | 6MT | M Sport | M sport brakes | Nav | Harmon Kardon | 19in factory performance rims | JB4 | K40 radar detector and laser jammer
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
WickedC5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive BSM/Coral Red

If youre not going to get a DP at least, then I really dont see it being worth the upgrade. In order to fully utilize the JB4 Youd want a DP to be able to run higher maps/more boost.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedC5 View Post
If youre not going to get a DP at least, then I really dont see it being worth the upgrade. In order to fully utilize the JB4 Youd want a DP to be able to run higher maps/more boost.
This.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedC5 View Post
+1

I have the stage 2 on an otherwise stock car and it's not noticeable from the stage 1. Just more of an annoyance to remove when you take it in for service.

Feel free to do a quick search as this has been discussed a handful of times over the past year or two.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
+1

I have the stage 2 on an otherwise stock car and it's not noticeable from the stage 1. Just more of an annoyance to remove when you take it in for service.
Why does everyone insist on removing mods before taking the car to the dealer? What is everyone so scared about? Boggles my mind...I've never encountered such a paranoid bunch.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Why does everyone insist on removing mods before taking the car to the dealer? What is everyone so scared about? Boggles my mind...I've never encountered such a paranoid bunch.
Because car manufacturers dont like you to mess with their ECU parameters and if something failed and they know you did just that they'll probably void your warranty and blame it on your mod?

If it was an exhaust mod or wheels and your engine blew, no biggie. But if your engine has issues and they know you had a mod that raised the boost on your car among other things, they'd probably take that opportunity to say that it was the fault of your mod making the car operate out of manufacture specs. Not really all that surprising.

But if you're not worried about it then by all means leave it fully modded and rock on. To each their own. The odds of this actually causing an issue is very very low. Probably lower than your car just having an issue in general without a mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

If your car is stock, stick with the Stage1. Because you can maximize the JB4 Stage 2 with your condition.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 04:29 AM   #8
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Because car manufacturers dont like you to mess with their ECU parameters and if something failed and they know you did just that they'll probably void your warranty and blame it on your mod?

If it was an exhaust mod or wheels and your engine blew, no biggie. But if your engine has issues and they know you had a mod that raised the boost on your car among other things, they'd probably take that opportunity to say that it was the fault of your mod making the car operate out of manufacture specs. Not really all that surprising.

But if you're not worried about it then by all means leave it fully modded and rock on. To each their own. The odds of this actually causing an issue is very very low. Probably lower than your car just having an issue in general without a mod.
Even though I have extended warranty, (3 years), I don't dismantle my mods. -Why lie?! I asked the guy´s and fx the piggy tuning they'll just remove if there is a problem. If the DME burns due to the piggy,- you pay if they find it caused the mess. If not they'll cover it. They are reasonable guy's.
Recently I had my motor for the window hoist covered

Another thing is the noise/emmision tests.. In order to pass these you'll have to return to standard with mods like: "muffler delete" , "DP" or NOS
/Krelle
      10-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Agree with you... i actually never remove my mods but then each dealership is different.

As for OP the Jb4 stage 2 has more features (+ more safety too) and it also has smoother power delivery.
It won't necessarily give you more power with a stock car but it is supposed to be get you a better driving experience

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1 MSport

The Dealership put my JB4 in, so I am never going through the hassle of removing it and reinstalling it. A lot of the BMW employee's also like to enjoy the hidden power of their cars too. Especially the guys who work in the service department. If you're nervous, ask your Service Advisor. Mine have always been straight with me about mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosturbos View Post
The Dealership put my JB4 in, so I am never going through the hassle of removing it and reinstalling it. A lot of the BMW employee's also like to enjoy the hidden power of their cars too. Especially the guys who work in the service department. If you're nervous, ask your Service Advisor. Mine have always been straight with me about mods.
It truly depends on the dealer. My dealer used to ask me all the time to tune my cars, little did he know I used to remove it before I brought the car in for service as well as the other mods. I got my car at the cusp of when the 09 N54 vehicles were going through their growing transitions of fuel pump and injector failures so it wasn't worth the risk. Nowadays most of the failure have leveled off. If your dealer is comfortable take advantage of it.

Only problem I see is sometimes your favorite SA or mechanic jumps ship to another dealer and you are left praying the new SA or tech will warrant the repairs, that also happened to me.
Appreciate 0