F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What would you do if the dealer damaged your car during a repair?
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: What would you do if the dealer damaged your car during a repair?
Bring it back in for a repair attempt 78 83.87%
Demand something free as compensation 14 15.05%
Don't do anything, just let it go, this stuff happens 1 1.08%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

02-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

What would you do if the dealer damaged your car during a repair?

So I brought my car into the dealer to fix my rusted seats. Apparently they had to take both front seats out to make the repairs. When I got the car back I noticed deep scratches where they would have removed the seats. On the passenger side a paint chip and two deep scratches to the hard plastic. On the drivers side two very long and deep paint scratches.

My heart just sank when I saw them. I normally keep my cars in immaculate condition. I was very upset but now I don't know what to do about it.

My question is: What would you do about it?

(I sent an e-mail with pictures to my SA immediately and he said the tech didn't realize how badly he damaged the car and I need to bring it back in. Now I'm worried that there's not much they can do about it and they may make it worse!)

Name:  DRIVER3.jpg
Views: 10929
Size:  557.3 KB

Name:  DRIVER4.jpg
Views: 10755
Size:  594.4 KB

Name:  PASSENGER3.jpg
Views: 10784
Size:  690.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Bring it back in and let them resolve the issue. It appears they have been appropriately responsive.

Unfortunately, we all make errors.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Puri1
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 2012

wow, I didn't scroll down further enough to see the damage and I was like, wtf is he talking about, but man, that's crazy.. they should definitely take care of that.. that's crazy.. I would've gone berserk.. Do bring it back to the dealer.. I'm just scared that the technician might get pissed off and f something else up.. I donno.. This is confusing.. Go to another dealer?? lol
      02-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Uhhhh......yeah, I would have zero hesitation bringing it back to the dealership. This is THE only option in my opinion.
      02-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

It's just so frustrating as I had to work from home once to bring my car in for a new electric cooling fan in which they had my car for 2 weeks. Since the parts for the rusted seats were not in yet, they made me come back again a week later. Now they are asking for me to come in again to do this repair.

I'm just about to say screw it, and complain to the GM, just ask for something stupid like all weather floor mats. I mean these scratches are really deep, I don't think they can do much about it. Dealer Fail.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
It's just so frustrating as I had to work from home once to bring my car in for a new electric cooling fan in which they had my car for 2 weeks. Since the parts for the rusted seats were not in yet, they made me come back again a week later. Now they are asking for me to come in again to do this repair.

I'm just about to say screw it, and complain to the GM, just ask for something stupid like all weather floor mats. I mean these scratches are really deep, I don't think they can do much about it. Dealer Fail.
This is all very valid and I understand your frustration. They can and will fix it. You are getting screwed with a bit, but do not let this go. It's not like you messed the car up and you are asking for a favor. And......if they aren't providing a loaner each time they are making you wait more than one day, the simple answer is go somewhere else and tell them the story. It WILL get fixed on the shops dime. BMW NA talks and communicates to all of these dealers. All they do is report another dealer's mistake and it gets fixed. Good luck man and do not give up!!
      02-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
Arabaci Noyan
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i ED Luxury SOLD

I would just extremely pissed off
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SRT Viper / M3 / X6M / Raptor

Had this happen to my Escalade while it was in for Servicing. Someone ran into the back of it and push the trailer hitch and center portion of the bumper under the truck. Not only was I pissed about the fact it happening, but that the dealership was that careless and never bothered to tell me and allowed me to take the vehicle home with that obvious damage.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I say take it to them get the loaner and have them paint the areas that need painting and change the plastic where needs to be changed. Every part can be changed or fixed so take it back.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I'd be pissed too and want them fix it, but I'd be hesitant about repainting. It'll never be as good as factory paint and they can screw it up further. I'd take it to a body shop that you trust and get an estimate. And then show the dealer the estimate and ask for a check.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #11
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Careless, unprofessional, worse than useless, baboon. And then to say he did not realise how bad it was? At least it is an admission.

I'd be furious and they need to fix it. They can sort the paint scratches with a smart fix. Damaged trim will also have to be repalced FOC.

If I had rusty seat bases, I would leave them well alone to avoid damage like this. The tech should have taped all areas that were subject to his incompetence.

Best of luck getting it sorted.

Last edited by F30AM; 02-23-2013 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

And yet they put down those paper mats on your floor because they're sooooooooooooo concerned about getting your floors dirty and hold such high regard for keeping your car's condition in great shape.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Active Hybrid 3

Be A Smart Consumer!!!

Before I drop my car off for service, I take interior and exterior pictures 30 minutes before I hand over the car to cover myself for things likely to get damaged.

I never mention the car has been photographed or appear overly concerned when I drop the car off. If damage occurs, I calmly bring it to the attention of the CSR and await their decision. If declined, I ask them are they sure. Then, I provide date stamped pictures and ask them how do they wish to handle this NOW. I never have a problem getting dealer caused damaged corrected along with apologies and more. No company wants the reputation of having incompetent employees who will lie to the customer and dealership management.

There is never a need for name calling or arguing. Just need to know how to hold yourself and people responsible for their actions. Following good 'chain-of-custody' procedures when handing your property to someone else avoids ill will between parties.

Be a smart consumer!!

Last edited by MotoEV; 02-23-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I'd also be concerned about whether he repaired the seats correctly. With that level of attention to detail, I'd be worried he left off some screws, etc..

The plastic trim can be replaced. Its likely special order from Germany so expect to wait 2 weeks for those parts.

The paint damage is another story. I recommend you find a high end Euro body shop (the kind that has exotic cars in their shop) and get a quote from them to respray the door sill. The sill can be repaired easily and blended into the body. Good thing its the door sill and not the outside of the car.

You can also look into the touch up pro's that advertise they can make scratches disappear. I think Dent Wizard offer this service. I have no experience.

Good luck.
      02-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

make em fix it
      02-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger
So I brought my car into the dealer to fix my rusted seats. Apparently they had to take both front seats out to make the repairs. When I got the car back I noticed deep scratches where they would have removed the seats. On the passenger side a paint chip and two deep scratches to the hard plastic. On the drivers side two very long and deep paint scratches.

My heart just sank when I saw them. I normally keep my cars in immaculate condition. I was very upset but now I don't know what to do about it.

My question is: What would you do about it?

(I sent an e-mail with pictures to my SA immediately and he said the tech didn't realize how badly he damaged the car and I need to bring it back in. Now I'm worried that there's not much they can do about it and they may make it worse!)

Attachment 823142

Attachment 823143

Attachment 823141
It tells you that the tech was not trained on removal of the seat. I would not trade a rusty seat base for that damage.

Leave it alone brothers.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I don't understand why the post, and a poll no less? It's obviously they did the damage. It's also apparent they're acknowleding this fact. Give them the chance to make it right.

Shit happens. As long as they clean up after themselves it's a non-issue. I personally would rather have had harmless rusty seat bases than have to deal with blended paint work and my car haven't been disassembled and reassembled...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364
I'd be pissed too and want them fix it, but I'd be hesitant about repainting. It'll never be as good as factory paint and they can screw it up further. I'd take it to a body shop that you trust and get an estimate. And then show the dealer the estimate and ask for a check.
I agree. Unless your dealer has a really good paint shop they use, I wouldn't be comfortable. Getting an estimate puts you in the drivers seat getting it corrected properly.

Before getting all frustrated just talk to the service manager and explain the issue. I'm sure they will do right by you. Getting angry or doing nothing are not the right moves here.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEV View Post
Before I drop my car off for service, I take interior and exterior pictures 30 minutes before I hand over the car to cover myself for things likely to get damaged.

I never mention the car has been photographed or appear overly concerned when I drop the car off. If damage occurs, I calmly bring it to the attention of the CSR and await their decision. If declined, I ask them are they sure. Then, I provide date stamped pictures and ask them how do they wish to handle this NOW. I never have a problem getting dealer caused damaged corrected along with apologies and more. No company wants the reputation of having incompetent employees who will lie to the customer and dealership management.

There is never a need for name calling or arguing. Just need to know how to hold yourself and people responsible for their actions. Following good 'chain-of-custody' procedures when handing your property to someone else avoids ill will between parties.

Be a smart consumer!!
That's probably what I'll be doing from now on. Wish I had that idea before I brought it in this last time.

I guess I got my answer with the poll, it seems that most people think this should not just be let go. I'll go in to see exactly how they'll fix it. Gotta take another day off work, ugh. I thought it was convenient having a dealer less than a mile away from my home, too bad they're so shady.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

you just cannot take enough pictures to cover the entire car. In this situation, there's little chance you would have taken pics of those two spots. Most people worry about exterior damage, scratches, rim curb rash, etc. That alone can take dozens of pics to show enough detail if you need to identify something later.

Removing the seat from the car is a 2 man operation. Guaranteed the tech did it himself. His bad for not asking for a second person to sit in the rear seat and assist with removal/reinstall.

Check your door panels as well. Hopefully they didn't bump the seat rails on the doors as the panel material is soft and easily damaged.

Have you looked under the seats to check the job they did replacing the rusted pan?
      02-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
Mamasgotkids
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Definitely make them fix it and make sure they do it until it's fixed to your satisfaction. You didn't pay out that much money for someone to treat your car with disrespect.

We had brand new hardwood floors installed last week. When they moved the oven back into place the worker managed to deeply gouge 8 boards which now have to be re-replaced. No way I didn't make them fix it even though it's the biggest hassle.

That was a floor, I'd go nuts if they scratched up my baby!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #22
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
That's probably what I'll be doing from now on. Wish I had that idea before I brought it in this last time.

I guess I got my answer with the poll, it seems that most people think this should not just be let go. I'll go in to see exactly how they'll fix it. Gotta take another day off work, ugh. I thought it was convenient having a dealer less than a mile away from my home, too bad they're so shady.

With all due respect, why do you think the dealer is "shady". Granted, the tech wasn't as careful as he should have been. Worse that HE didn't point out the damage himself prior to signing off on the work. I suppose there's an off chance he didn't notice, but I'm sure he did. The TECH is shady, not the dealership. From what you posted about the email exchange, they're admitting that they are in the wrong. Give them a chance to fix it before you jump all the way to "shady".
Appreciate 0