F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > uh oh. Got a lemon?
proTUNING Freaks

12-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
pardus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19' X3 M40i, '03 Z4

uh oh. Got a lemon?

So had the vehicle a week now. I no longer get any sound from the HK system. doesn't matter if its bluetooth, radio, satellite, connected services etc. tried different key fobs that load independent settings etc. checked fuses.

Trunk is intermittently only opening half way, today wouldn't close using the lock button on the hatch, but after a dozen tries, finally closed.

One of the fog lights randomly works. sometimes both are on and other times only the left side and the right is out. cant figure out how to recreate it. One time I was looking at the reflection in the glass of a business i was parked in front of, both were on while I was backing up, went into drive and the right one went out?

Super pissed off that a $70k freaking vehicle is having stupid problems like this. Not a happy owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
What model, line, etc?
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #3
pardus
Private
Canada
Rep

2015 335i GT xdrive, pretty much fully loaded North American version.

Technology, executive, m sport, premium, connected services
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 11:38 PM   #4
335penguin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

The fog lights actually work like that it depends which way you are turning and they turn on accordingly and when reversing both turn on
"To provide this additional light, the fog lamps are fitted with integrated swivelling reflectors; alternatively, the headlights are equipped with an additional lamp. When the indicator is activated at speeds below 40 km/h, these lights illuminate an area to the side of the vehicle, up to 80° of the direction of travel.
After the corner is taken, the cornering lights dim and extinguish automatically. Cornering lights also facilitate safe reversing: when reverse gear is selected, both the left and right lights illuminate the area around the vehicle."

Last edited by 335penguin; 12-27-2015 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2015, 01:26 AM   #5
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'd bring it to the dealer it's a new car but you can also check the amp connections in the trunk under the carpet. Simple check for the HK issues. Trunk opener you gotta go to dealer most likely. Also fogs ^^^
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

Sorry to hear that. Straight back to the dealership with it.

I hope they will be as keen to sort everything out as they were keen enough to take you bill fold!
      12-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
pardus
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
I'd bring it to the dealer it's a new car but you can also check the amp connections in the trunk under the carpet. Simple check for the HK issues. Trunk opener you gotta go to dealer most likely. Also fogs ^^^

Do you know where about the amp is located one I lift up the floor panel? I looked for it but wasn't quite sure how the carpet came out. Had a leak in my Z4 and the trunk filled with water and fried the amp. $800 for a used one. Sure would hate to think this car is leaking.

Will call the dealer this morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post

Do you know where about the amp is located one I lift up the floor panel? I looked for it but wasn't quite sure how the carpet came out. Had a leak in my Z4 and the trunk filled with water and fried the amp. $800 for a used one. Sure would hate to think this car is leaking.

Will call the dealer this morning.
Doubt it's leaking (I've had the same issue with my S5 vert, sold it a couple months ago still in the market for an F82) I'd guess more along the lines of a loose connection. You need to lift up the floor by the handle and then slide the entire floor out. The amp and rear fuse box are located right behind the rear seats under the flat non folding part of the floor you remove. I find it easiest to work on and access from the rest seats with the seats folded down.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
pardus
Private
Canada
Rep

Update
Ok, in the daylight was able to go through the fuses, thought the fuses in the guide with the speaker icon would be the ones, they all checked out fine, there is another icon for i guess is a head unit, a 40amp fuse was blown so that likely is the culprit. Question is why is that blown? I don't listen to music loud because of my tinnitus. I lifted up the back panel and didn't see anything suspicious but will everything there is kind of covered by a metal panel that needs to be unbolted.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus
Update
Ok, in the daylight was able to go through the fuses, thought the fuses in the guide with the speaker icon would be the ones, they all checked out fine, there is another icon for i guess is a head unit, a 40amp fuse was blown so that likely is the culprit. Question is why is that blown? I don't listen to music loud because of my tinnitus. I lifted up the back panel and didn't see anything suspicious but will everything there is kind of covered by a metal panel that needs to be unbolted.
Fuses are incredibly cheap and are expected to fail occasionally for no apparent reason. Im not saying that there may not be a deeper issue with your car just that a blown fuse is not highly irregular or worrisome. Getting a proper electrical diagnosis done by a shop or using ISTA is the best way to find what may be wrong. For now pop in a new fuse and see what happens. If it blows again then you definitely have a problem if not then it's most likely just a bad fuse nbd.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
pardus
Private
Canada
Rep

Got an Update from dealer today:

Trunk Hatch only opening part way. the alignment on the arms was out and would sometimes get stuck. They have re-adjusted that.

Defective amp and battery: They are installing a new amp and battery today and re-installing all the software on the car? not sure why they have to do the software but lets hope that works.

The behaviour with the lights going on and off is normal when they are not manually turned on. They will auto turn on while parking and turning or something like that. will have to check that out when I get the car back.
Appreciate 0