F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is it time for me to switch from VW to BMW?
GetBMWParts

01-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #45
Boosteddub
Rep
Drives: 2015 VW GLI SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MforLove
My former Gli to my current baby lol
Your new whip looks badass!
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2016, 10:03 PM   #46
MforLove
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosteddub
Quote:
Originally Posted by MforLove
My former Gli to my current baby lol
Your new whip looks badass!
Thanks! Winter beater wheels on too lol
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #47
Signal513
Sarging 24/7
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, C300, Audi Q7

Garage List
definitely do what makes you happy. For me, I ALWAYS have a BMW hanging around, but thats not to say I dont like other cares. I had a 2013 GTI that was absolutely fantastic in my opinion.

If I had a GLI, I would think the same. If you are on the fence though, give a couple of BMWs a spin. See if they are to your liking.
      01-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #48
Boosteddub
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal513
definitely do what makes you happy. For me, I ALWAYS have a BMW hanging around, but thats not to say I dont like other cares. I had a 2013 GTI that was absolutely fantastic in my opinion.

If I had a GLI, I would think the same. If you are on the fence though, give a couple of BMWs a spin. See if they are to your liking.
Yeah GTIs are pretty nice. They were/are made in Germany vs the GLI is made in Mexico. There's definitely a difference in quality between the two.

I actually received a letter from my VW dealer saying they'd give me 115% the KBB value. I'm going to see if they'd buy my car without me buying one from them. Then I'd have to find a bimmer I want which is a whole other issue lol
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #49
st3v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider a Golf for my main car. A Golf R is still a Golf. Not sexy. Your GLI is better looking.

A BMW is a good upgrade, but don't over extend yourself. I've been leasing BMWs since I was 25, and can't seem to break the addiction...

I'd rather have a 320i with a Sport package + Lighting package, than a Golf R.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #50
Boosteddub
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v
Honestly, I wouldn't even consider a Golf for my main car. A Golf R is still a Golf. Not sexy. Your GLI is better looking.

A BMW is a good upgrade, but don't over extend yourself. I've been leasing BMWs since I was 25, and can't seem to break the addiction...

I'd rather have a 320i with a Sport package + Lighting package, than a Golf R.
Yeah I agree. I'm not a hatchback fan so I've always avoided GTIs and Golf Rs. I'm pretty much keeping it until I can get rid of it for an acceptable loss/month. If I would have financed it my payments would have been $420/mo so when the numbers work out I'm switching for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #51
Boosteddub
Rep

So the dealer that I want to do business with just got in the exact car I want. I figured it out and currently my total car expense (estimated payment amount, insurance, gas, misc) accounts for 14% of my gross income or 19% of my net income. Upgrading to the BMW and paying nothing down would be 21% of my gross income and 28% of my net income.

http://www.bmwofminnetonka.com/certi...m#&gid=1&pid=3
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 12:08 AM   #52
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
I figured it out and currently my total car expense (estimated payment amount, insurance, gas, misc) accounts for 14% of my gross income or 19% of my net income. Upgrading to the BMW and paying nothing down would be 21% of my gross income and 28% of my net income.
Some finance people say the rule of thumb is not more than 10% of your gross income may be spent on automobiles. This includes car payment, insurance, fuel, tickets, maintenance and traffic lawyers.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #53
Boosteddub
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded
Quote:
I figured it out and currently my total car expense (estimated payment amount, insurance, gas, misc) accounts for 14% of my gross income or 19% of my net income. Upgrading to the BMW and paying nothing down would be 21% of my gross income and 28% of my net income.
Some finance people say the rule of thumb is not more than 10% of your gross income may be spent on automobiles. This includes car payment, insurance, fuel, tickets, maintenance and traffic lawyers.
Yeah I've read that too. Last night I made a spreadsheet with my net income and subtracted out my expenses and budgeted for incidentals, clothing and food. I also have it so I'm maxing out my Roth at $5,500 and putting 6% of my income into my 401k. With my current car I'd have 33.29% of my income left over after all of that and with the BMW I would have about 25% left over (about $3200 difference). I already have a pretty good nest egg saved up too. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #54
sjpaul
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
So the dealer that I want to do business with just got in the exact car I want. I figured it out and currently my total car expense (estimated payment amount, insurance, gas, misc) accounts for 14% of my gross income or 19% of my net income. Upgrading to the BMW and paying nothing down would be 21% of my gross income and 28% of my net income.

Don't do it. It's too much money to spend on transportation right now.

Even your GLI is a good bit more of your income than you should be spending. But that's already done, and the GLI is a nice car. Especially for a young guy just starting his career.

Enjoy your VW for now and forget about BMW til you've got a few more promotions under your belt. BMW will still be around when the time is right.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #55
Boosteddub
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaul
Quote:

Don't do it. It's too much money to spend on transportation right now.

Even your GLI is a good bit more of your income than you should be spending. But that's already done, and the GLI is a nice car. Especially for a young guy just starting his career.

Enjoy your VW for now and forget about BMW til you've got a few more promotions under your belt. BMW will still be around when the time is right.
Yeah you're most likely right. I'm in the prime situation for financial success, but the car enthusiast in me hates my GLI. My two concerns with the Bimmer are the additional cost and the fact that I like brand new cars. With that being an m-sport and used who knows how it was treated.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #56
sjpaul
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosteddub View Post
Yeah you're most likely right. I'm in the prime situation for financial success, but the car enthusiast in me hates my GLI. My two concerns with the Bimmer are the additional cost and the fact that I like brand new cars. With that being an m-sport and used who knows how it was treated.
Word, you're making the right decision. And the GLI is a perfectly good car for an enthusiast, have fun with it.

WRT the BMW - pick a number that you want to hit, something that you'll be motivated to accomplish. Then get the BMW when you hit that number.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #57
sjpaul
Private
Rep

Additionally, food for thought...

I think you said earlier in the thread that you're still living with you parents to save money. Good decision. It'll pay off for you later.

But. Don't spring for a nice car until you're well established on your own.

Two reasons. 1) you don't want a car to prevent you from being able to go out on your own, and 2) you'll have a hard time getting people to take you seriously if you live at home and drive an expensive car. Doesn't matter how big your nest egg is, its the optics of the situation. People (girls, bosses, etc) will question your priorities.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #58
Boosteddub
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaul
Additionally, food for thought...

I think you said earlier in the thread that you're still living with you parents to save money. Good decision. It'll pay off for you later.

But. Don't spring for a nice car until you're well established on your own.

Two reasons. 1) you don't want a car to prevent you from being able to go out on your own, and 2) you'll have a hard time getting people to take you seriously if you live at home and drive an expensive car. Doesn't matter how big your nest egg is, its the optics of the situation. People (girls, bosses, etc) will question your priorities.
That's a very good point. That was also a concern of mine. I don't know what people would think if a 24 year old comes rolling up to work in a new(er) BMW. Most of the partners/managers drive big trucks or Escalades/Denalis as I live in Wisconsin. There are BMWs in my city but I fall below their radar easier driving a VW, other than the fact that I have loud exhaust haha. I guess I'll just keep building on to my nest egg in hope that I'll be able to afford a new 335i in a few years or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #59
Boosteddub
Rep

I just confirmed one more thing.... I'm not ready to switch over to automatic. My VW is in for the radio, rattles and recall so I've been driving my moms 328i. When I'm driving alone it just doesn't give me the rush my dub does when driving aggressive. Looks like I'll be waiting a few years and hopefully getting a new or CPO 340i manual. Thanks again for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #60
sjpaul
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosteddub View Post
I just confirmed one more thing.... I'm not ready to switch over to automatic. My VW is in for the radio, rattles and recall so I've been driving my moms 328i. When I'm driving alone it just doesn't give me the rush my dub does when driving aggressive. Looks like I'll be waiting a few years and hopefully getting a new or CPO 340i manual. Thanks again for all the help!
Yes - save the manuals!
Appreciate 0