F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Latest PRO-SAT-NAV problem
Studio RSR

11-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Exclamation Latest PRO-SAT-NAV problem

OK after driving this Loaner (Luxury touring 328i 2013) for nearly a month now waiting for my car to turn up, I have noticed a real "Flaw" in this sat-nav.
What does ( for no apparent reason ) is whilst on a duel carriageway or motorway it will suddenly take you off it, and then immediately back onto it on the same junction you came off on!!!!!!!!!!.
This has happened more than once on the A14, M11 and south circular roads to date. This should not be happening on this supposed "best Sat-nav system out their".
A point in it's favour though is , whilst in navigation mode the bottom righthand info box on the screen will "add delay times" to destination times, these have been quiet accurate. However if you are not always on the ball and blindly following the nav, you will find yourself ( unless this one has a fault) coming off and rejoining routes for F**k all.
      11-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I've got a Tomtom One that does that - wants you to go up the slip road, across the roundabout and down the slip road the other side. Admittedly it only ever seemed to do it on a couple of junctions on the A1 and one junction on the M23.

Not had the pro-nav in my F30 do that to me (yet) but it did once take me along 2-3 miles of 'farm track' in North Yorkshire, so I guess these devices are only as good as the data they're given.

Talking of people who blindly follow their sat-nav, I've heard stories of people driving into rivers and such like because the device "told them to"

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I've got a Tomtom One that does that - wants Talking of people who blindly follow their sat-nav, I've heard stories of people driving into rivers and such like because the device "told them to"
Commonsense is sadly lacking with all the tech freaks of this innit generation. Computer says no, so it must be true. Yeah, right dumbo.
      11-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

As I always tell my clients: one thing I've learned in life is that common sense is anything but common
      11-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post

As I always tell my clients: one thing I've learned in life is that common sense is anything but common
So very true.
      11-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
OK after driving this Loaner (Luxury touring 328i 2013) for nearly a month now waiting for my car to turn up, I have noticed a real "Flaw" in this sat-nav.
What does ( for no apparent reason ) is whilst on a duel carriageway or motorway it will suddenly take you off it, and then immediately back onto it on the same junction you came off on!!!!!!!!!!.
This has happened more than once on the A14, M11 and south circular roads to date. This should not be happening on this supposed "best Sat-nav system out their".
A point in it's favour though is , whilst in navigation mode the bottom righthand info box on the screen will "add delay times" to destination times, these have been quiet accurate. However if you are not always on the ball and blindly following the nav, you will find yourself ( unless this one has a fault) coming off and rejoining routes for F**k all.
I had exactly the same problem on the north circular and M11 today whilst using NAVFree an iPhone app!

I assumed it could be due to the fact that newly built fly overs/road changes haven't yet been updated in the software..but who knows maybe technology has become self aware with the sole purpose of driving humans mad...so don't worry your not suffering in silence..

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 03:36 AM   #7
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Satnav plunges £96k Merc into river - Lucky escape for misguided woman driver

Sat-nav catastrophes

Man follows sat-nav to cliff edge (alternative link)

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0