F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30: Brighter and improved Welcome lights for stock halogens
proTUNING Freaks

10-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
re4ryu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Efficientdynamics

F30: Brighter and improved Welcome lights for stock halogens

Hi there,

After playing around a little with BMW coding, I found some codes that I feel improve the welcome lights slightly from their original state. I have an F30 with the stock halogen bulbs by the way, so I'm not sure if the same principle applies for LED lights. If someone could test it on this however that would be great.

First of all, I re-coded the welcome lights all around the car to fade on, as apposed to immediately appearing on. I felt this made the car look a lot more elegant when unlocking, however to each his own. The code for this is:

In FEMBODY:

3062 > mapping_standl_V_L_Part_of_wl > soft_on
3062 > mapping_standl_V_R_Part_of_wl > soft_on

In REM:

3062 > mapping_standl_h1_l_part_of_WL > soft_on
3062 > mapping_standl_h1_r_part_of_WL > soft_on
3062 > mapping_standl_h2_l_part_of_WL > soft_on
3062 > mapping_standl_h2_r_part_of_WL > soft_on
3062 > mapping_standl_h3_l_part_of_WL > soft_on
3062 > mapping_standl_h3_r_part_of_WL > soft_on
3062 > mapping_kennzeichenl_part_of_wl > soft_on
3063 > mapping_small_sl_l_part_of_wl > soft_on
3063 > mapping_small_sl_r_part_of_wl > soft_on
3063 > mapping_universal_1_part_of_wl > soft_on

So essentially, all i've done is changed all the original hard_on values for these parameters to soft_on.

Another thing i wanted to do is change the brightness of the headlamp welcome lights. I've seen a code concerning "WL_Helligkeit" which allegedly changes the brightness of the bulbs through editing it's hex value from 0,64 to 0,99, however this doesn't appear to have any effect. In this case, i found the following code is a a kind of workaround to this issue:

In FEMBODY:

3062 > mapping_standl_V_L_Part_of_wl > not_active
3062 > mapping_standl_V_R_Part_of_wl > not_active
3062 > mapping_tagfahrl_v_l_part_of_wl > soft_on
3062 > mapping_tagfahrl_v_r_part_of_wl > soft_on

What this has done is it has replaced the dimmer headlamp welcome lights/parking lights (standl) with the daytime running lights instead (tagfahrl), which are far brighter in comparison, and can be seen clearly in the day as well.

It's not much, but just a little tweak to make the unlocking look nicer for anyone interested! If there are any cheat sheets/databases this can be added to please let me know
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
rfcoolz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i xDrive

Nice post! This is what I'm trying to do, making DRL as parking lights too to make it brighter since I got LED drl. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
re4ryu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfcoolz View Post
Nice post! This is what I'm trying to do, making DRL as parking lights too to make it brighter since I got LED drl. Thanks!
Glad to help! The small parking lights were just too dim for me, having the DRL's turn on in their place when unlocking the car looked much better!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
rfcoolz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by re4ryu View Post
Glad to help! The small parking lights were just too dim for me, having the DRL's turn on in their place when unlocking the car looked much better!
Do you also know if it is possible to turn on both DRL and parking lights at the same time as the welcome light?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
re4ryu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Do you also know if it is possible to turn on both DRL and parking lights at the same time as the welcome light?
Of course, just keep the parking light parameters the same (i've changed them in my first post to not active).

So your set up will be:

In FEMBODY:

Soft_on means the lights will fade on/off, whereas hard_on means the lights will come on/off immediately.

I've noticed that hard_on tends to suit LED's a bit better. LED's tend to jitter a bit with the soft_on setting and i think its only truly effective with halogens. But give both styles a try and see what suits you.

Last edited by re4ryu; 05-04-2015 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
rfcoolz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Of course, just keep the parking light parameters the same (i've changed them in my first post to not active).

So your set up will be:

In FEMBODY:

Soft_on means the lights will fade on/off, whereas hard_on means the lights will come on/off immediately.

I've noticed that hard_on tends to suit LED's a bit better. LED's tend to jitter a bit with the soft_on setting and i think its only truly effective with halogens. But give both styles a try and see what suits you.
Okay then, I will try the coding tomorrow morning. Thank you again for the help! How can you know that tagfahrl is drl and standl is the parking light? Are there any description or something on the coding software (esys)?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
re4ryu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Okay then, I will try the coding tomorrow morning. Thank you again for the help! How can you know that tagfahrl is drl and standl is the parking light? Are there any description or something on the coding software (esys)?
I don't think there is any description in esys. I did this when i got the car and just searched the words on google translate haha! But i'm sure these translations have been mentioned on the forum numerous times.

Tagfahrlicht means daytime running light, and standlicht means sidelights (same as parking lights, the two little lights which are above the DRL's).

If there are other parameters you don't understand the meaning of, try google translate to save time looking through the forum. Worked for me everytime!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
rfcoolz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think there is any description in esys. I did this when i got the car and just searched the words on google translate haha! But i'm sure these translations have been mentioned on the forum numerous times.

Tagfahrlicht means daytime running light, and standlicht means sidelights (same as parking lights, the two little lights which are above the DRL's).
Nice! I think I just need some more time to get used to coding then since I'm still noob to this thing . Sorry to bother u with another question XD, but do you know if it's possible to run both DRL and low beam at the same time? I got a white halogen bulb, and it would be cool if I could run all 3 (drl, low, parking light) at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #9
re4ryu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nice! I think I just need some more time to get used to coding then since I'm still noob to this thing . Sorry to bother u with another question XD, but do you know if it's possible to run both DRL and low beam at the same time? I got a white halogen bulb, and it would be cool if I could run all 3 (drl, low, parking light) at the same time.
Hmm, sounds interesting! I haven't actually thought of something like that. Unfortunately i'm not sure if that's possible... then again, the BMW's equipped with xenons have their DRL rings running all the time, with and without low beams.

I'll have a check later and see if theres some sort of coding that can be applied to make something like that work.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #10
rfcoolz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, sounds interesting! I haven't actually thought of something like that. Unfortunately i'm not sure if that's possible... then again, the BMW's equipped with xenons have their DRL rings running all the time, with and without low beams.

I'll have a check later and see if theres some sort of coding that can be applied to make something like that work.
That's what I thought. If xenons can do it with drl, then halogens should be able to do it too.
Appreciate 0