F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Quick help with replacing brakes
proTUNING Freaks

05-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
bobalis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F33 N55

Quick help with replacing brakes

I don’t trust myself to get it right so can someone here please double check my work?

I have a 2014 335I Msport with stock brakes. I want to replace all 4 pads/rotors at once, will this shopping list be all that I need? Do I have the correct parts?

Last edited by bobalis; 05-17-2018 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
edm0nd
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i 2013

I'm in this same boat but with a 2013 328i N26 so this thread interests me. Got this warning this morning.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You should have at least 500 miles left on the pads when the warning goes off.
Appreciate 1
edm0nd23.00
      05-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

I would also reccomend changing the rotor set screws since they can strip very easily if the tool slips. I went with the stainless ones. - https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-F30-32...h/rotor_screw/

Also, cleaning the caliper-pad contact points and hub surface is very important. Get a can of brake clean and some steel brushes and really take your time. Make sure to get ceramic lube on the caliper pins and the surfaces that contact the pad.

For anyone looking to do this job and do not have an iDrive warning like above, you may not need new sensors.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 01:36 AM   #5
bobalis
Private First Class
Rep

Can anyone look at my shopping cart and let me know if I'm ordering the correct parts?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 03:34 AM   #6
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 430d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalis View Post
Can anyone look at my shopping cart and let me know if I'm ordering the correct parts?
I can't really comment on if you've got the correct products without checking part numbers but you could check realoem.com to verify you've got the correct part numbers.

It looks like you have got all the items you need but you will need access to other bits such as copper grease to coat the back of the pads, wire brush and brake cleaners to clean the callipers (don't use this on powder coated callipers) and pins etc.

As above I don't know your exact car but from the basket I'm assuming you have fixed callipers at the front and floating at the back? If that's the case be careful not to split the rubber slide pin boots with the wire brush on the rear brakes when cleaning. For the fronts you will need a punch pin to remove the pins that hold the pads in the callipers.

Also once you've removed the disc remember to completely clean the hub behind it as the new disc will need to sit perfectly flush.
Appreciate 1
bobalis51.50
      05-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
bobalis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshd63 View Post
I can't really comment on if you've got the correct products without checking part numbers but you could check realoem.com to verify you've got the correct part numbers.

It looks like you have got all the items you need but you will need access to other bits such as copper grease to coat the back of the pads, wire brush and brake cleaners to clean the callipers (don't use this on powder coated callipers) and pins etc.

As above I don't know your exact car but from the basket I'm assuming you have fixed callipers at the front and floating at the back? If that's the case be careful not to split the rubber slide pin boots with the wire brush on the rear brakes when cleaning. For the fronts you will need a punch pin to remove the pins that hold the pads in the callipers.

Also once you've removed the disc remember to completely clean the hub behind it as the new disc will need to sit perfectly flush.
I appreciate the insight. I don’t have the ability to do the service myself so I’m trying save as much as I can by purchasing the parts myself. I just want to make sure I’m not missing any major components.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 430d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshd63 View Post

I appreciate the insight. I don’t have the ability to do the service myself so I’m trying save as much as I can by purchasing the parts myself. I just want to make sure I’m not missing any major components.
Ahh I see, then yes you certainly have everything you need if you were to take it someone to fit for you. I would say they are a lot easier than most (certainly I) first thought to replace and maintain
Appreciate 0