F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel Damage by Tire Shop
proTUNING Freaks

07-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
eljefe87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i M-Sport

Wheel Damage by Tire Shop

I had my 4 tires replaced yesterday, and once I got home and cleaned the wheels from all the lube the they left on the wheels I noticed multiple scratches that went past the clear on 3 wheels. Also i have found some damage (gouge) in the inner lip from them using a pry bar to remove the run flats. The center caps are all scratched up and areas around them there are nicks on the wheel. By the time I noticed the shop was closed, but I took my car this morning to the shop and talked to the manager. The tire tech did apologize and said that it seems as the damage was caused by him. The manager asked if he did the scratches and he said yes I did, so at least he did not try to lie. The only thing is that this manager is backing up the other manager and the other manager is not back until Saturday. The manager asked that I take my car back on Saturday since the other manager is the one with the contact for wheel repairs. My concern: the non-damaged wheel I had it machined and refinished due to minor curb rash about two months ago. The first time the wheel was painted and I noticed paint was coming off as I was still at the service department at BMW. They took the wheel back and had it powder coated. That seemed to have worked, but 2 month after the refinish the paint is yellowing, and the manager at BMW told me to take it back.

Any one have any experienced with refinishing machined wheels (I have the 19 403 wheel)? I am scared that I will be dealing with the same issues (now with the other 3 wheels) as with my refinished wheel.
Also any experience with dealing with tire shops and having them pay for repairs/replacement of wheels? This was at a chain tire shop, but I am not going to blast them since they were not confrontational about the issue when I told them this morning and the tire tech was apologetic, and he did tell the manager he scratched them when she asked.
      07-15-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe87
I had my 4 tires replaced yesterday, and once I got home and cleaned the wheels from all the lube the they left on the wheels I noticed multiple scratches that went past the clear on 3 wheels. Also i have found some damage (gouge) in the inner lip from them using a pry bar to remove the run flats. The center caps are all scratched up and areas around them there are nicks on the wheel. By the time I noticed the shop was closed, but I took my car this morning to the shop and talked to the manager. The tire tech did apologize and said that it seems as the damage was caused by him. The manager asked if he did the scratches and he said yes I did, so at least he did not try to lie. The only thing is that this manager is backing up the other manager and the other manager is not back until Saturday. The manager asked that I take my car back on Saturday since the other manager is the one with the contact for wheel repairs. My concern: the non-damaged wheel I had it machined and refinished due to minor curb rash about two months ago. The first time the wheel was painted and I noticed paint was coming off as I was still at the service department at BMW. They took the wheel back and had it powder coated. That seemed to have worked, but 2 month after the refinish the paint is yellowing, and the manager at BMW told me to take it back.

Any one have any experienced with refinishing machined wheels (I have the 19 403 wheel)? I am scared that I will be dealing with the same issues (now with the other 3 wheels) as with my refinished wheel.
Also any experience with dealing with tire shops and having them pay for repairs/replacement of wheels? This was at a chain tire shop, but I am not going to blast them since they were not confrontational about the issue when I told them this morning and the tire tech was apologetic, and he did tell the manager he scratched them when she asked.
How often do you clean your rims and what do you use?

I've had rims refinished professionally before and never had issues. I wouldn't be too worried, maybe try a different place?
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
eljefe87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post

I've had rims refinished professionally before and never had issues. I wouldn't be too worried, maybe try a different place?
I use sonax wheel cleaner. I was told that the issue I have is due to the clear coat. I was assured by the service manager that the cleaning products should not affect the finish. I will give theme more try and if they cannot get it right I will see about taking it to another place.
      07-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe87
Quote:

I use sonax wheel cleaner. I was told that the issue I have is due to the clear coat. I was assured by the service manager that the cleaning products should not affect the finish. I will give theme more try and if they cannot get it right I will see about taking it to another place.
Do you use sonax every time? I usually use it when it's really heavy brake dust. Otherwise, I just use some eagle one. Sonax is pretty heavy stuff, maybe try using it in intervals.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #5
eljefe87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do you use sonax every time? I usually use it when it's really heavy brake dust. Otherwise, I just use some eagle one. Sonax is pretty heavy stuff, maybe try using it in intervals.
I dont alway use Sonax. Usually I just clean the wheels with a mild soap. the sonar only when there is a lot of brake dust. I got me well refinished, the wheel that was not damaged by the dealer refinished for the 3rd time. That vendor the service department is horrible. they respired the wheel and didn't clean the wheel good. There is a lot of areas that have dust under the clear. Also they did a bad job refinishing the wheel. I don't expect it to be perfect, but those guys suck. I am not taking the other wheels there.
      07-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
WP7778
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i

happened to me at NTB once when changing out tires, very minor scratches though. Since your rims are oem, just have momentum shop refinish it and send your tire shop the invoice to pay for it.

and I see you're from texas, if you're in houston another alternative would be is to send those rims over to Rollo's Solutions down on richmond. they're great with repairs
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
eljefe87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP7778 View Post
happened to me at NTB once when changing out tires, very minor scratches though. Since your rims are oem, just have momentum shop refinish it and send your tire shop the invoice to pay for it.

and I see you're from texas, if you're in houston another alternative would be is to send those rims over to Rollo's Solutions down on richmond. they're great with repairs
I used Rollos before they do good work but they are quite far for me. Also not sure they have 3 loaner wheels that would fit. I have had the wheel I damaged refinished three times at BMW north. I'm not sure the name of the vendor but either they are not good or the 403 wheel is just a pain to get right. They service manager said I could take it back, but I will take it somewhere else I end up spending more time with their crap work. On the other hand the manager at the tire shop said that damage in my rear wheels is definitely from their machine but he is not sure about the third one which makes me a little mad. He said he was checking with some wheel repair guys but he has not got back to me. I might just end up calling their corporate office to file a claim otherwise they might not do anything as the manager has not reported the issue to their insurance.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 01:51 AM   #8
minkza
Registered
Rep
Drives: black car

minkmink

good post

ร่วมเล่นสนุกๆไปกับพวกเรา ได้ที่นี่ คาสิโนออนไลน์
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
WP7778
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i

Yeah I'm absolutely sure they'll have 3 loaners for you, they got vehicles coming in and out daily. Maybe you can get an estimate from them and send it off to the tire shop to sign off that they'll pay for the damages, if they don't pay it, then use that as documentation to file a claim. In the end, they'll try to prolong the situation and deny as much as possible, gotta get something in writing quick!
Appreciate 0