F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > This nav system is hilarious.
Studio RSR

05-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
lauruskamj
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

The best system I have used by far is on an Acura. They really seemed to have nailed it. The worst on the planet that I have used is lexus. The passenger can't even aded an address while your driving, it couldn't be more annoying. So far the BMW seems pretty good although I really haven't used it enough to really gain a full opinion on it. At least you can input destinations while the car is moving, that is huge.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I had a good experience with VW's nav in Europe. Of course I wouldn't have had much clue if it took me hundreds of miles out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
Yet another reason why I'm not going to pay $2500 for it, even if the head-up display is cool.

Exactly. Garmin Nuvi for me. I'll use the $2500 elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
jims2321
Rep
Drives: 1994 Mustang GT Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
I don't think that was the case. I left at 4:30 am so there wasn't any traffic. On the way back, it wanted me to get off the interstate and take the business route through a couple of towns.
Probably looking for an all nite restaurant for breakfast, you know how your bimmer worries about you not eating!

On a stranger note, my TomTom never had an issue finding a Hooters, but locate the a public landmark, forget.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #27
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauruskamj View Post
The best system I have used by far is on an Acura. They really seemed to have nailed it. The worst on the planet that I have used is lexus. The passenger can't even aded an address while your driving, it couldn't be more annoying. So far the BMW seems pretty good although I really haven't used it enough to really gain a full opinion on it. At least you can input destinations while the car is moving, that is huge.
I agree, Acura has the best nav system and their sound system is very good as well, too bad their grille is so ugly and the sheet metal are as durable as a tin can. The Lexus system is the worst, it locks you out of everything while you are moving. If you are on the highway, you need to pull over or exit the highway just to input a destination or look for a POI. The BMW navi seems to be as good as the Audi.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I agree, Acura has the best nav system and their sound system is very good as well, too bad their grille is so ugly and the sheet metal are as durable as a tin can. The Lexus system is the worst, it locks you out of everything while you are moving. If you are on the highway, you need to pull over or exit the highway just to input a destination or look for a POI. The BMW navi seems to be as good as the Audi.
IMHO Infiniti makes a good system as well
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
lsbuffs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i

I just recently moved into an F30 (my first BMW) from the Acura RL. While I have no idea if Acura has the best navigation system, I can tell you the directions/routing that this BMW provides is absolutely worthless. It is truly a joke. I have tried various configuration options (fastest, ECO, etc.) without success. If I followed the direction this system spits out, I'd never get where I was going. Never had this problem with my Acura RL.

That said, I do like having the larger display and the HUD, so not overly bothered by the add'l cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #30
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

i agree with most here that, unfortunately, your iphone or droid provides better directions than your $2500 nav. H/w, it is not really safe to be referencing your phone when you get a much larger map on your nav. I wish there was a better soln.
      07-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #31
yujyh
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Luxury S-Automatic

How does the extended panel display show GPS route indicators? Is it well designed?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #32
Blue_Sky
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: --

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
i agree with most here that, unfortunately, your iphone or droid provides better directions than your $2500 nav. H/w, it is not really safe to be referencing your phone when you get a much larger map on your nav. I wish there was a better soln.

I found this on Amazon with some good reviews.. I can let you know when I receive it though.. Just sharing

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i01
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #33
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yujyh View Post
How does the extended panel display show GPS route indicators? Is it well designed?
The extended display shows what's shown on the HUD if you turn the HUD off.

It looks mostly like the arrow display that's shown on the split screen.

It's useful and designed pretty well, but I only enabled it once on the extended display as it's much more convenient to look at in the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #34
cavm335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i GC MPPSK

I used it to go to ft worth & dallas from Houston this weekend, it was OK but I am spoiled with Google navigation on my phone. I really just wanted it for the bigger screen and local map in perspective mode without having to dig out my phone.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #35
yujyh
Rep

If you don't have the HUD then I guess it always shows in the extended display then?
tks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #36
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yujyh View Post
If you don't have the HUD then I guess it always shows in the extended display then?
tks
What if you don't have HUD or extended display?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #37
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
What if you don't have HUD or extended display?
Extended display is included with Nav.

2012 F30 335i 6MT - Imperial Blue w/Everest Gray: Sport, Adaptive M, Premium, Tech & Parking Pkgs, Assist, Apps
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #38
yujyh
Rep

Does the nav take advantage of the size of the extended display (as u know most of the info is showed in a small rectangle which is stupid as u can't see the mileage well due to the tight size of the upper wheel see-through *******, not sure the Nav in the UK shows it on the extended display but I guess it would; even if u don't have the HUD
tx
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #39
yujyh
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #40
Silver F30
Rep
Drives: F30 Sportline

How To....

Quote:
One serious annoyance is that I can go to the scroll feature and highlight a spot but I can't drop a point on it to set as a destination, its as if I have to highlight the spot, take notes on the address then go all the way back out of the nav and enter it in the destination... Am I doing something wrong?!
@ 1.fresh.f30.335
If you go to interactive map and find the place you want to go press the idrive wheel down then scroll up one notch and that should guide you to the point you selected without having to enter the address. I do it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #41
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
It doesn't seem to be as good as the Garmin I have. I recently took a trip going through Indianapolis. I couldn't have done a better job at getting lost myself. It didn't indicate the exits I needed to take and then it rerouted me to a turn around to get back to the exit it missed. I'd much rather use my Garmin.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #42
BXL4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Alpine White

HI gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache
Not to mention the streetnames being awkwardly off in Hawaii :/
I found that both Google maps and MapQuest had some serious issues with addresses on Oahu and Big Island. Must be problems in source data.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #43
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

I had forgotten about the strange nav routes, here is Australia the prof nav on my X5 took us through some unsealed back roads that resembled old paddock trails, that we didn't know even existed on our way to Jenolan Caves (tourist caves in the blue mountains) the distance might have been shorter but it took longer due to the unsealed roads it took us through. Needless to say we had a good laugh as we felt we were lost at some time as it took us across the top of an old dam.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #44
pej7445
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Garage List
2019 x3 m40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Maybe thats the problem, the dynamic routing detected traffic on the normal route and automatically detour you around the traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.fresh.f30.335 View Post
I use a nav as a reference, if you live by it you'll find yourself in the ocean or a pond or a rock wall... Trust your instincts not the artificial voice in a box!

One serious annoyance is that I can go to the scroll feature and highlight a spot but I can't drop a point on it to set as a destination, its as if I have to highlight the spot, take notes on the address then go all the way back out of the nav and enter it in the destination... Am I doing something wrong?!

-> Audi has the best imo, bmw's isn't too bad and both are decades ahead of the porsche system I had in my cayenne...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbuffs View Post
I just recently moved into an F30 (my first BMW) from the Acura RL. While I have no idea if Acura has the best navigation system, I can tell you the directions/routing that this BMW provides is absolutely worthless. It is truly a joke. I have tried various configuration options (fastest, ECO, etc.) without success. If I followed the direction this system spits out, I'd never get where I was going. Never had this problem with my Acura RL.

That said, I do like having the larger display and the HUD, so not overly bothered by the add'l cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauruskamj View Post
I agree, the Honda/Acura Navi systems are really clean and easy to use. They do lack the connected functionality of Audi and BMW though (Send to Car).
Appreciate 0