F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Center Channel for Bimmertech amp/dsp
Extreme Powerhouse

05-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
constantin_md
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X5 sDrive35i

Center Channel for Bimmertech amp/dsp

Hi everyone, i'm in the process of upgrading my base hi-fi audio system.

So far i installed the Bimmertech PP82DSP
SWS-8xi subs under seat.

subs are crossed at 150hz +2db
mids are crossed at 170hz/front 180/rear Center at 240/hz -1db
Sound is very good and much cleaner than with stock amp. At max volume most of the genres play with no problem, except for techno - speakers bottom out on some tracks. Sound is also boomier than i'd like at the moment.

Upgrades i'm thinking of for front stage
Focal 100krs
or
Morel Hybrid 402
I found speaker and wire adapters for f30 so the installation should be easy for both.

Focal is much cheaper, but will i be able to cross them at say 120hz and play them loud without distortion?
What center speaker should i look for? Maybe an oem HK, or a bavsound? I did some research and found out that the depth installation is very limited.

Please advice
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
PuterPro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 320i Alpine White

Sounds like my upgrade path!

Hi Constantine!

I just put the PP82DSP in 2 days ago, and you sound like you're ahead of me on the curve, but doing the exact same thing I'm planning!

I understand that Bavsound does make a drop in center speaker. You're right, it is very shallow.

I haven't seen it myself yet, but I understand there's a small 4" mid and a tweeter too. The mid doesn't have the same mount as the 4" door speakers, FROM MY RESEARCH.

Why are you not looking at the Bavsound kit? It seems to get rave reviews, and gives you all the pieces you need at once.
The Morel Hybrid 402 does seem to get better reviews, but as you probably know...$$$

People seem a bit divided on the Focals, some say they're beautiful and accurate, others think they're a bit too bright.

Your PP82DSP can be profiled to correct that somewhat, but a speaker's sound is a speaker's sound if you get my drift.

Again, all this is STRICTLY from some extensive research, I welcome anyone to feel free to jump in and correct me!

Best of luck!
PuterPro
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
constantin_md
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi PuterPro,
I rushed and bought the focal 100krs yesterday for a great deal, but i'll probably resell them because i researched that they don't play that well below 250hz and my sws-8xi subs can't play well above 150hz so there will be a 150hz-250hz gap.
Morel seems to have better results in the low hz department, i'd say the best on the market at it's size.
Bavsound are great indeed, but i'd rather spend same money for better quality front stage only because it's all the sound that matters.
Let me know if you'd like morel at better price, i can hook you up with a trusted seller in Israel. (~20% cheaper morel than anywhere else)
Right now i'm thinking if i even should replace the center speaker, or just lower the volume -2db on it and leave it at that.
Good luck with your setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #4
PuterPro
Private
Rep

Speaker choices & Center channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantin_md View Post
Hi PuterPro,
I rushed and bought the focal 100krs yesterday for a great deal, but i'll probably resell them because i researched that they don't play that well below 250hz and my sws-8xi subs can't play well above 150hz so there will be a 150hz-250hz gap.
Morel seems to have better results in the low hz department, i'd say the best on the market at it's size.
Bavsound are great indeed, but i'd rather spend same money for better quality front stage only because it's all the sound that matters.
Let me know if you'd like morel at better price, i can hook you up with a trusted seller in Israel. (~20% cheaper morel than anywhere else)
Right now i'm thinking if i even should replace the center speaker, or just lower the volume -2db on it and leave it at that.
Good luck with your setup.
Seems we're having discussions in multiple threads...!

Thanks for the Israel tip, may take you up on that at some point, right now my other half is still grumbling about the amp ($$) ... all the time commenting about how much better it sounds...! LOL! She's a pip. Love her! Scary smart too, I don't get to BS her much, she's too quick, even for me!

There's quite a bit of discussion here and elsewhere about just deleting the center in the amp's software to provide a better stage. The 2db down is an interesting thought.

I'm hoping to have a cheap calibrated mic by today that I can use on my Surface Pro 3 to do some profile playing this weekend (can't wait! FUN!!), I might try that out, thanks!

I, too, was pondering this center channel thing, wanted to do some more reading about peoples experiences. Some of these people have done some serious time, measurement, and playing with parts, then graciously shared their knowledge. Gotta love 'em!

Peace out!
PuterPro
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #5
constantin_md
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Haha, scary smart and none BS taker seems like an ideal woman
About the center channel, if you delete it, you can create a better stage with time alignment only for the driver's seat, it won't sound that good on the passenger seat. If you leave the center it's kind of a compromise.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
PuterPro
Private
Rep

Center channel down 2db

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantin_md View Post
Haha, scary smart and none BS taker seems like an ideal woman
About the center channel, if you delete it, you can create a better stage with time alignment only for the driver's seat, it won't sound that good on the passenger seat. If you leave the center it's kind of a compromise.
Yeah, she's sumthun'. 35 years and she hasn't killed me, that's good for a few points.

Yeah, I get ya on the -2db, does sound like it would be worth playing with. I remember reading somewhere that you ended up driver only profiled with a complete delete, and over the years I've trained her ear with HT upgrades so she's pretty quick to point out bad sound.

I would have a hard time selling any further upgrades if I left her out!

She almost swallowed her tongue one time in my Brother's car (who has a tin ear) when he was bragging about the stereo in his new 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which sounded .... well you know. She was a good girl until we were out of earshot and then told me "Can you believe that?!? It was making my ears bleed!

PuterPro
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
constantin_md
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Lol, our ears are spoiled. If you listen to good speakers for a few months it's going to itch for upgrades when those are gone. (Selling car in my case).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #8
evobda2
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

Mate if you've bought the Focals give them a go before you start spending more on other drivers..

You have the flexibility of the DSP to adjust the tuning. You won't know if they are good or bad until you install, tune and play them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Focal 100krs is good choice, price have dropped a lot since the new model introduced. Great speaker, plays well at 125hz.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
constantin_md
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evobda2 View Post
Mate if you've bought the Focals give them a go before you start spending more on other drivers..

You have the flexibility of the DSP to adjust the tuning. You won't know if they are good or bad until you install, tune and play them.
I wish i could give them a listen but then the price of them would decrease if i decided to sell them used.
I sold them today for $30 more than i got them for, and i'm waiting for a set of Morel Hybrid 402.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
constantin_md
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223 View Post
Focal 100krs is good choice, price have dropped a lot since the new model introduced. Great speaker, plays well at 125hz.

I noticed they dropped in price a lot, that's why i got them in the first place but after doing a lot of research i found that their bass capabilities are very weak. (below 250hz - distortion)
125hz would probably be ok if listening to medium volume, but i listen to max most of the time, hard techno.

I got into morel with Virtus 502 5.25" Which beat my previous Alpine SPR-60c 6.25" by far in the clarity, sound stage and distortion at low hz department.
In fact the Virtus 502 5" components are slightly better than the Morel Hybrid coaxial 602 6" at distortion up to 80hz high pass. I guess coaxials are no that great even from Morel.
Morel Virtus 502

Morel Hybrid 602 Integra

For the Morel virtus 402 4" components things are not that good below 200hz, so the only option was the Morel hybrid 402 components which would be great addition to the sws-8xi subs that play up to 150hz low pass.

Last edited by constantin_md; 05-16-2016 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0