F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire alternatives
Studio RSR

02-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
Espi2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

Tire alternatives

Not trying to start a tire war here, so let me say in advance I'm not looking at MPSS due to pricing. I commute to and from work roughly 5 miles, so just want a summer performance tire that will be better than the OEM runflats and that are affordable and perform well enough. So far, it appears that the sumitomo htr z III are the best bang for the buck at about 100 per tire. Was also considering the hankook v12 but have been. Reading bad things about the soft sidewall. Anything else I should consider? Would like to be 500 or less for 4 tires. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
I've heard that Nitto's are pretty good budget tires. Maybe try looking into that? Though I haven't tried them myself.

I went for MPSS's for my summer set up.
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi2 View Post
Not trying to start a tire war here, so let me say in advance I'm not looking at MPSS due to pricing. I commute to and from work roughly 5 miles, so just want a summer performance tire that will be better than the OEM runflats and that are affordable and perform well enough. So far, it appears that the sumitomo htr z III are the best bang for the buck at about 100 per tire. Was also considering the hankook v12 but have been. Reading bad things about the soft sidewall. Anything else I should consider? Would like to be 500 or less for 4 tires. Thanks!!
For $500, you need to look at third-tier tires. Probably should check out Les Schwab, Discount, Big-O and other tire shop house brands. Better drop you expectations down to an all-season non-speed-rated tire, too.

Your car is going to drive like cr@p on things that cheap. Even good snow tires cost more than that. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M-Sport track pkg

Check out this article

Quote:
I just ordered the Hankook Ventus V12s based on this article

245-35-20
275-30-20

Total cost shipped with prection certificate from discount tire direct for ~ $841

It would be much cheaper if the size was more conservative.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
      02-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
Espi2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

Thanks for the feedback. Based on some reviews I'm seeing, the sumitomo is rated higher than the v12 and is substantially less.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...&affiliate=FH8
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
It would not surprise me if the Michelin Cult started selling off their MPSS in the Classifieds around 3/15 as they ditch them for the MSP4S. Considering your low mileage requirements, I would wait 30-60 days and see what you can pickup in the classifieds.

Even used MPSS would perform better than some of your cheap alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
superherorockstar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335

I was going to start a thread regarding this exact topic. Ive narrowed my selection down to the P zero Nero gt in 245/30/20 and 255/30/20. They seem to be the best in regards to quality and price.
Appreciate 0