F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Autowatch ghost
proTUNING Freaks

05-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #23
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugrov View Post
Only thing is that you would probably need to tell the dealership that it's installed just incase they test drove your car for some reason when/if it's with them. I can't remember the exact details but with the GHOST in service mode, the car can be driven but if it exceeds certain parameters (speed/time), the GHOST will revert to standard mode once the engine is switched off, this could leave the tech stranded and unable to move the car if he's switched off the ignition during the test drive, i.e. popping into Greggs for a cheeky sausage roll whilst he's out in your car.

As far as warranty is concerned my thinking was/is that a warranty is useless if the car is gone and I firmly believe that the chances of the GHOST causing any issues are negligible.
I think when I enquired they told me that when it's in valet mode (for service) then if it's driven above 31mph it cuts out? Or what I mean is won't start again?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #24
Hugrov
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjames View Post
I think when I enquired they told me that when it's in valet mode (for service) then if it's driven above 31mph it cuts out? Or what I mean is won't start again?
Yeah that's the way I understood it, over 31mph for a period of time i.e. 10 mins and the GHOST will come out of service mode once the ignition is switched off
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #25
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

From the user manual :

Service / Valet Mode

This mode is not meant as a permanent override and will automatically exit when the vehicle exceeds a speed of 30 mph for a continuous period of 3 minutes. After this the Ghost will need a PIN code to disarm on the next start attempt.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Hugrov423.00
      05-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #26
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

It's okay for BMW to tap wires. When an owner does it then it can impede warranty. I had a Viper alarm in the early days. I forgot to put the system to sleep when the car went in. The dealership couldn't update the software. They blamed the alarm and said it had "taken its toll" on the car and interfered with the CAS etc. You won't know until you're in a situation where the dealer tries to wiggle out of a claim.

My point is you need a system where valet mode has a higher speed cut off or none in case they do drive it. It needs to stay in valet unless reactived by the owner.

It sounds like a good product but has room for improvement.

Anyone into their security will know the biggest problem is signal cloning and jamming. The OBD issue was addressed a while ago. Best not to announce the fix on a public forum! So for some the Autowatch is a redundant measure.
Appreciate 0