F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > FHP now pulling people over for "daytime driver's license and vehicle inspections"
Studio RSR

02-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

FHP now pulling people over for "daytime driver's license and vehicle inspections"

http://www.abcactionnews.com//dpp/tr...on-checkpoints

Quote:
The Florida Highway Patrol Troop C (Hillsborough, Pinellas, Polk, Pasco, Hernando, Sumter and Citrus counties) has announced the roads it plans to target with driver license and/or vehicle inspection checkpoints in February. FHP says the checkpoints will be conducted during daytime hours, and generally cause delays of five minutes or less. Scroll down for a list of all affected roads.
Here are your questions (submitted via Facebook and Twitter @TampaBayTraffic ) about the checkpoints:

Q: Is this legal?
A: There is a policy established by the Florida Highway Patrol that specifies the legal guidelines that must be undertaken by the agency to conduct driver license and vehicle safety inspection checkpoints. The information provided below comes directly from that policy, which was provided by FHP.

Q: How will this impact my drive? Won't these checkpoints cause big traffic jams?
A: Initially, every third vehicle will be stopped, however the Checkpoint Supervisor will monitor traffic to ensure a backup doesn't occur. If delays of more than three to five minutes occur, the Checkpoint Supervisor may order an alternate vehicle count (i.e. every fifth vehicle). If the traffic conditions cause a back up that cannot be easily alleviated by the alternate vehicle count, the Checkpoint Supervisor may temporarily suspend the checkpoint until the back-up has been cleared. Once cleared, the checkpoint can be reactivated using the last vehicle count method that was in place. Per the policy, the degree of intrusion to motorists and the length of detention to each driver should be kept to a minimum.

Q: Do these checkpoints affect trucks and buses too?
A: All vehicles and drivers, including commercial vehicles, buses and large trucks, that enter the checkpoint are subject to screening. The only exception is emergency vehicles.

Q: Isn't this profiling?
A: The FHP police states "vehicles and drivers shall not be stopped on a discretionary basis (i.e., due to the 'looks' of the vehicle or it occupant(s)."

Q: What's a "driver license checkpoint”?
A: Troopers will request the driver license and vehicle registration from each driver detained. If a driver is also the owner or registrant of the vehicle, the Trooper also may request proof of personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. FHP says violations will be enforced pursuant to Florida law and Division policy.

Q: What are" vehicle inspection checkpoints"? Troopers aren't mechanics, so why are they checking my car?
A: Per FHP, defective vehicle equipment, such as bad brakes, worn tires and defective lighting equipment, poses dangers to the public.

Q: What will officers inspect on my vehicle if I'm stopped?
A: Troopers may inspect the following equipment on vehicles:
Horn
Windshield wipers
Brakes
Tail lamps
Directional signals (required on all vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1972)
Stop lamps
License plate lamp
Headlamps
Steering mechanism
Tires
Exhaust system
Other readily visible equipment (windshield, bumpers, etc.)

Q: Am I going to get a ticket? How much do they cost?
A: During the vehicle inspection checkpoints, Troopers may issue a Faulty Equipment Violations, which are non-moving violations and do not carry points for the driver's record. Fees for non-moving violations vary by county. In Hillsborough County, a non-moving violation fee is $103, however if a citation is issued, drivers may have the faulty equipment replaced or repaired, provide proof of those repairs, and have the fine reduced to $83. The non-moving violation fees for other counties included in the checkpoints are: Citrus $116; Hernando $114; Pasco $114; Polk $114; Sumter $11
During the driver license or vehicle inspection checkpoints, citations may be issued for seat belt violations ($103-$116 fine). Drivers that appear to be impaired may be arrested, and their vehicles may be towed.

Q: What times will the checkpoints occur?
A: Any time between sunrise and sunset, according to FHP.

Q: Are these actually DUI checkpoints?
A: No. However if an officer suspects a driver is impaired, the vehicle will be moved off of the roadway and standard procedure for DUI investigation will be conducted. When probable cause exists to believe that the driver has committed DUI, the driver will be held/processed per Florida law and local procedures for DUI offenders. If there's probable cause to believe that the driver or any passenger in the vehicle has committed an offense involving the possession or use of any contraband drug, the driver or passenger will be secured and processed in accordance with Florida law and local procedures for contraband drug offenders. Additionally, when reasonable suspicion exists to believe that the driver or any passenger in the vehicle has committed an offense involving the possession or use of any contraband drug, a K-9 officer may be requested to conduct a K-9 sniff of the vehicle in order to detect and locate contraband drugs.
      02-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Are you fucking SERIOUS? So let's say an average Joe is trying to get to work and is pulled over by a police officer at random and is late because someone who is not a mechanic spend time inspecting his vehicle. It's good to know that all other crimes have been solved and the police have time to do this. First our government starts disarming us by trying anti-gun legislation and gun buybacks and now this shit. I smell a police state brewing.
      02-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
DAMN! I thought Cali was bad. Sounds like it's a fund raiser to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is absolutely outrageous. I would 100% sue them if that happened to me (it's nice having an attorney on retainer sometimes).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

only in florida
      02-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

everyone remain calm. a cop can just pull you over if he has probable cause. If your car is legal and you have a valid DL you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

Literally laughing my ass off. The cop will perform brake inspections?? Didn't know they were mechanics too.
Wonderful use of tax money.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
everyone remain calm. a cop can just pull you over if he has probable cause. If your car is legal and you have a valid DL you'll be fine.
Your car will be picked out at random just as if you were caught in a speed trap. Even if everything checks out you'll still be pulled over for at least 5 minutes. It may seem like nit picking but when you're trying to get to work on time and there's that small time gap between light traffic and gridlock, it's easy to see why people are already very upset.
      02-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

Really?
I don't understand the problem. I would rather be pulled over for 5 minutes and be sent on my way when everything checks out, than get hit by some guy who either does not have a license or is driving a car with bald tires.

Sure the cop isnt a mechanic, but he can spot obvious faults with your car. ie. Tyre wear / broken lights etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

^^I tend to agree with pete.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
Arben72
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Happens all the time in Europe. This means less drivers with un-roadworthy cars, less suspended license drivers, and less drivers with no insurance. I don't see how any of those things will hurt most bmw drivers.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Glad I don't live there.
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
This is absolutely outrageous. I would 100% sue them if that happened to me (it's nice having an attorney on retainer sometimes).
Having an attorney "on retainer" isn't necessary to sue someone, nor would it provide the client any real benefit in a situation like this. This fact is completely irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Having an attorney "on retainer" isn't necessary to sue someone, nor would it provide the client any real benefit in a situation like this. This fact is completely irrelevant.
I didn't say it was necessary, learn to read.

My business (owned by me) has an attorney on a 12 month retainer @ a certain minimum billable hours per month, with rollover (capped at a certain number of hours). I have enough rollover hours where all I have to do is give the word and it won't cost me anything out of pocket to sue anyone. The even funnier thing is, this Florida thing is (admittedly tangentially) related to my business so it wouldn't even be that hard to justify.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Well this just happened to me sort of..

I'm on the highway during the usual traffic. A cop is just walking around stopped traffic trying to find a reason to give out tickets. My dad got a warning for no front plate.

I'm sure the cop could be doing something else :/ probably meeting monthly quota.