F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > "Lighting system failure, stop carefully"
GetBMWParts

09-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
re4ryu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Efficientdynamics

"Lighting system failure, stop carefully"

Hi,

I seem to be having an odd error on the dash which mentions a "lighting system failure, stop carefully."

Ive had a read about this error and apparently its to do with a faulty light control module (LCM). The error seems to affect some lights into not working, such as the indicators, high beams and foglights. Also apparently the low beams stay on constantly, even if the light switch is set to off. A lot of people say to check the battery, but my battery is fine.

However, the issue doesn't appear to be actually affecting me - the error comes on the dash now and then for about 5 seconds, and then goes away again. Today for instance, the error came randomly at three times in the day, and stayed for about 5 seconds each time, then went away. I got out of the car and checked all my lights, there were no problems.

I have replaced my car lights with LED's all round earlier this year (except for high/low beams, so i don't have those aftermarket HID's with their boxes) and coded out bulb checks for them - is this part of the issue at all?

I hope i don't have to dish out the cash to the dealers for such an odd and random issue... perhaps some connection issue? has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

Last edited by re4ryu; 09-06-2015 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

My best bet would be if it's still under warranty, put all the old bulbs back in and code everything back and take it to them and see what they can come up with
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
re4ryu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
My best bet would be if it's still under warranty, put all the old bulbs back in and code everything back and take it to them and see what they can come up with
You're right, seems like the only thing i can do right now. I'll replace the original bulbs/coding and take it to the dealers to figure out. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2015, 03:02 AM   #4
keltis99
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by re4ryu View Post
You're right, seems like the only thing i can do right now. I'll replace the original bulbs/coding and take it to the dealers to figure out. Thanks for your help!
I had similar error on my dash and i traced it to physical connection issue.
after replacing the lights (i also had this done) make sure the the plug fixer/holder is on tight (mine was missing altogether; part nr 61132359991
). when i was driving on bumpy roads the xenon plug simply loosened up and some lights would stop working. once i fixed it all worked fine.
      09-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
re4ryu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltis99 View Post
I had similar error on my dash and i traced it to physical connection issue.
after replacing the lights (i also had this done) make sure the the plug fixer/holder is on tight (mine was missing altogether; part nr 61132359991
). when i was driving on bumpy roads the xenon plug simply loosened up and some lights would stop working. once i fixed it all worked fine.
Thank you for your reply keltis99!

Where can i find this plug in the car please? I may be having the same issue as you. Ah but also, i have original halogens, so the part you mentioned may not apply for my car? Or shall i just try and secure all bulb connectors?

The error hasn't occurred for me commonly since though, just happened on the day i posted the topic and once more two days ago. But it does seem like a weak connection somewhere as you've pointed out, so i'd like to find it and secure it myself if possible
Appreciate 0