F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Out of curiosity
Extreme Powerhouse

08-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Out of curiosity

Every 328i or 320d that i have seen as "demos" or that dealers have in their lots all seem to only have the business nav - Why would they not order the prof nav on their demos and avoid to have to order a new car?? - imo once you've seen the prof nav there is no going back.
When ordering my 320d, they kept trying to sell me a car in the lot with business nav, no way that was gonna happen - like going from a 50" plasma to a 32" and telling you it the same picture.
Same goes for seated heats - i had them in my 2009 Z4 and could never go back to not having it - especially if you suffer from any sort of back pain or muscular damage - highly recommended
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
I asked my dealer the same question when I was initially looking and his response was differentiation. The base 3's (318 & 320) don't have the nav standard, the 328 has the business and the 335 has the pro - it's a clear step up and it allows the dealer to use the "do you want fries with that approach". I mean you _could_ buy the 328i and pay to upgrade the nav, but why not just buy the 335i and get the pro nav, the bigger engine and a whole load of other features standard. It's a pretty typical sales gimmick.

The same could be said for why some 3s don't have Nav as standard but all 5s do - it's just another point of differentiation to say why this car is a step up from that car.

When I was looking for my new car, I briefly looked at what Volkswagen had on offer and I considered both the Passat and the CC. The dealer showed me that you could option up the Passat to have _all_ of the features of a base CC (except the body shape of course) and it was still $6k cheaper. It almost seemed silly having two different cars but then the CC had additional options that the Passat didn't.

I sort of lucked out on the Nav myself. I was originally going to go with the Business Nav, and when I placed my order, I asked for Lane Departure Warning and was told that I needed to add Anti-Glare Side Mirrors. I did this and accepted the discounted price, though when I looked further in to it, I found that the Lane Change Warning, not the Lane Departure Warning needed the Anti-Glare mirrors. My dealer had ordered the wrong system. We got it fixed up and removed the mirrors, but the car was now $670 cheaper and the dealer wanted to redo the discount.

Since I'd already accepted the original price and organised finance, I noticed that the Pro Nav was about $1k more than the Business, but that the Lane Departure Warning was about $300 cheaper when fitted in concert with the Pro Nav. I ended up paying an extra ~$50 to upgrade to the Pro Nav and ended up adding Internet Connectivity as well. Because of the screw around I had gotten and the fact that it delayed my order, the business manager at my dealer ended up giving me the latter free.
      09-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorion View Post
I mean you _could_ buy the 328i and pay to upgrade the nav, but why not just buy the 335i
...because the 328i has a 75k LCT threshold which means you could option a bunch of things and still be cheaper than a base model 335.

Having had a N54 car tuned to 300kw I understand the appeal but putting my 328 on the track I didn't miss the power as the cars handling was fantastic. I'm a big fan of the adaptive suspension and the N20 is a great engine IMO for its capacity.

Anyway, back on topic but I agree that pro nav is the only way to go, but we've got to remember that to some people a car is an appliance and they don't overly care about the features.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

You've tried it on the track?! Awesome.

You'll nvr go back once you've had the bigger screen... Not sure why I even got profnav when i order HUD lol
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Ppl that treat their F30's as appliances probably don't even know these forums exist. The salesman was trying so hard to sell me a luxury on their floor that had all I wanted except the prof nav and no matter what he said that i would eventually get used to it, there was no way I was going from having prof nav on two previous cars to going back to that minuscule screen on the business nav. Lol he even tried to sell me an X1 with no nav whatsoever and a Tom Tom stuck on the dash LOL. Some of us like our gadgets to feel good while driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

You're absolutely right, I believe that many people do not know that even you could configure your bmw to exactly what you want.

That is exactly what we are paying money for something that would match your needs to the "T". I would say 8/10 people just buy floor stock.
Appreciate 0