F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 320i AWE Tuning Exhaust Review – F30 N20
ARMA SPEED

02-24-2016, 12:59 AM   #1
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

320i AWE Tuning Exhaust Review – F30 N20

Over the weekend I installed an AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust. This includes the Performance Mid-Pipe. As a note, I'm running factory downpipe and AFE intake, as well as JB4 and ER Hard Intercooler Piping (TIC and Charge). Also have 2TB Coding.

I've broken my review down to a few key areas. As a reference, I've been very in touch with the exhaust world for the last 5-7 years. I was heavily engaged in developing one of the leading aftermarket drone-free systems for the GM Zeta Platform in 2008-2010 with a company in Canada, so I have a distinct appreciation for a good exhaust when I see one. I also can't stand Drone, or the occasional snap, crackle, pop on the deceleration. I love a good burp between gears.

I'm writing this review, well because I can't seem to find a single 320i owner out there who has installed this system, and then made a video to go with it, so here it is. 320i Owners, This is for you! Long live the A la carte 320i!

Overall: Absolutely incredible. Seriously, this company knows exactly what they are doing. I really don't know what else to say, I am truly speechless. The attention to detail was there, and I felt it with my purchase. 10/10

Quality / Craftsmanship: The pictures will do justice, but the system looks absolutely gorgeous. The welds are very professional, the fitment is exactly where it needed to be. I only had one wish, and that is for them to weld the exhaust tip to the end of the pipe. I know this allows for fine tuning adjustment and customization, but part of me wishes for the clean look with a weld, and no excess pipe inside of the tip itself. 9/10

Kit / Packaging: This is where AWE earned another 10, they include an additional clamp so I don't have to re-use the OEM clamp off of my downpipe. It's the little things that matter, and once again, the attention to detail was there. All clamps and tips were included, making my life very easy to install. Box was huge, but very well packed. 10/10

Installation: I was fortunate enough to lift my car in a matter of 45 seconds, un-bolt the factory system in about 10 minutes, piece together the new one in about 10 minutes, and then fine tune the adjustment with an air gun in 20-25 minutes. This was the easiest exhaust I've ever installed. No finagling above axles, this was very simple to do. The included instructions were very proficient and typed up professionally. Even with ramps this wouldn't be bad at all. 10/10

Sound (Exterior): Sounds fantastic in my opinion. I'm always surprised at how deep and throaty the N20 is for a 4 cylinder. Great motor, and I even get a wonderful burp on WOT between shifts. See video for that. I don't have any deceleration popping or chatter, it's very smooth through the decal as well. 10/10

Sound (Interior): Upon start-up, the exhaust is a bit loud, but quickly tames down I first 20 seconds. It's really not too loud for my preference or neighbors. I was surprised when I was traveling 65-85 MPH on the highway and the exhaust was completely silent. It was OEM silent, I kid you not. It was as quiet as OEM. There is zero drone. This within itself should be the sole reason to purchase this kit. AWE's Patented 180 Technology is great! 9.5/10

Customer Service: Josh at AWE is an absolute pleasure to work with, I would do business with AWE any day of the week, I trust them very much. 10/10

Value / Price: I think that AWE is right where it should be. I'm a believer you get what you pay for in life. If it were $2K, would have some reservations, but sitting around $1,500 shipped isn't bad considering the refinement in the system. 9/10

Closing thoughts: I personally am a strong advocate for the 320i, and I feel that this exhaust complements it very well. The system remains true to what an enthusiast, aftermarket BMW exhaust should be. In Eco Pro, the exhaust is very quiet, Comfort, you know something is slightly there, and Sport mode, you know it's visible. I drive with the windows cracked now, not to smoke, but to listen to the beautiful note that has been created. It's a feast for the senses, my ears that is!Â…

Hit me with questions!

Last edited by CntryClub007; 07-06-2019 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: New Video
Appreciate 5
      02-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
m4rcus
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i: Sport, 6sp manual

Thank you so much for doing this review! At one point I was wondering if I was the only one with a 320i that's considering the AWE exhaust. The review and video was awesome. Thanks again.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Awesome review, thank you!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rcus
Thank you so much for doing this review! At one point I was wondering if I was the only one with a 320i that's considering the AWE exhaust. The review and video was awesome. Thanks again.
If you are considering the AWE, I would most definitely go for it. I'm quite happy with my purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Project Elite
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
If you are considering the AWE, I would most definitely go for it. I'm quite happy with my purchase.
How long did it take you to get your exhaust?

I ordered mine 2.5 weeks ago and it's still building
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Elite
Quote:
How long did it take you to get your exhaust?

I ordered mine 2.5 weeks ago and it's still building
From Order -> Delivery was 4 weeks flat. Transit was about 3 days for me (shipped on Monday, arrived on Wednesday).

I'm guessing you are close to the final stretch.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
crazy-frog
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Over the weekend I installed an AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust. This includes the Performance Mid-Pipe. As a note, I'm running factory downpipe and AFE intake, as well as JB4 and ER Hard Intercooler Piping (TIC and Charge). Also have 2TB Coding.

I've broken my review down to a few key areas. As a reference, I've been very in touch with the exhaust world for the last 5-7 years. I was heavily engaged in developing one of the leading aftermarket drone-free systems for the GM Zeta Platform in 2008-2010 with a company in Canada, so I have a distinct appreciation for a good exhaust when I see one. I also can't stand Drone, or the occasional snap, crackle, pop on the deceleration. I love a good burp between gears.

I'm writing this review, well because I can't seem to find a single 320i owner out there who has installed this system, and then made a video to go with it, so here it is. 320i Owners, This is for you! Long live the A la carte 320i!

Overall: Absolutely incredible. Seriously, this company knows exactly what they are doing. I really don't know what else to say, I am truly speechless. The attention to detail was there, and I felt it with my purchase. 10/10

Quality / Craftsmanship: The pictures will do justice, but the system looks absolutely gorgeous. The welds are very professional, the fitment is exactly where it needed to be. I only had one wish, and that is for them to weld the exhaust tip to the end of the pipe. I know this allows for fine tuning adjustment and customization, but part of me wishes for the clean look with a weld, and no excess pipe inside of the tip itself. 9/10

Kit / Packaging: This is where AWE earned another 10, they include an additional clamp so I don't have to re-use the OEM clamp off of my downpipe. It's the little things that matter, and once again, the attention to detail was there. All clamps and tips were included, making my life very easy to install. Box was huge, but very well packed. 10/10

Installation: I was fortunate enough to lift my car in a matter of 45 seconds, un-bolt the factory system in about 10 minutes, piece together the new one in about 10 minutes, and then fine tune the adjustment with an air gun in 20-25 minutes. This was the easiest exhaust I've ever installed. No finagling above axles, this was very simple to do. The included instructions were very proficient and typed up professionally. Even with ramps this wouldn't be bad at all. 10/10

Sound (Exterior): Sounds fantastic in my opinion. I'm always surprised at how deep and throaty the N20 is for a 4 cylinder. Great motor, and I even get a wonderful burp on WOT between shifts. See video for that. I don't have any deceleration popping or chatter, it's very smooth through the decal as well. 10/10

Sound (Interior): Upon start-up, the exhaust is a bit loud, but quickly tames down I first 20 seconds. It's really not too loud for my preference or neighbors. I was surprised when I was traveling 65-85 MPH on the highway and the exhaust was completely silent. It was OEM silent, I kid you not. It was as quiet as OEM. There is zero drone. This within itself should be the sole reason to purchase this kit. AWE's Patented 180 Technology is great! 9.5/10

Customer Service: Josh at AWE is an absolute pleasure to work with, I would do business with AWE any day of the week, I trust them very much. 10/10

Value / Price: I think that AWE is right where it should be. I'm a believer you get what you pay for in life. If it were $2K, would have some reservations, but sitting around $1,500 shipped isn't bad considering the refinement in the system. 9/10

Closing thoughts: I personally am a strong advocate for the 320i, and I feel that this exhaust complements it very well. The system remains true to what an enthusiast, aftermarket BMW exhaust should be. In Eco Pro, the exhaust is very quiet, Comfort, you know something is slightly there, and Sport mode, you know it's visible. I drive with the windows cracked now, not to smoke, but to listen to the beautiful note that has been created. It's a feast for the senses, my ears that is!Â…

Hit me with questions!

Sounds pretty good, though potentially a tad loud for me - I can't really tell. Like you, I very much dislike drone, and popping when coming off the revs, I do love a good idle burble though, but nothing too loud.

Have you got any other videos, perhaps thinking closer to the car when starting and staying there for a minute to see how it dies down, and moving off in comfort mode - basically thinking, I love a nice bit of noise after I've left where I live, don't wanna be waking up the neighbours!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meph137 View Post
Sounds pretty good, though potentially a tad loud for me - I can't really tell. Like you, I very much dislike drone, and popping when coming off the revs, I do love a good idle burble though, but nothing too loud.

Have you got any other videos, perhaps thinking closer to the car when starting and staying there for a minute to see how it dies down, and moving off in comfort mode - basically thinking, I love a nice bit of noise after I've left where I live, don't wanna be waking up the neighbours!
I'll see if I can shoot a couple of videos with a cold start. Will follow-up. In all honestly, it's really not loud.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
crazy-frog
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'll see if I can shoot a couple of videos with a cold start. Will follow-up. In all honestly, it's really not loud.
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Cheers!
Video is up for your morning pleasure...under post 1.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #11
crazy-frog
Private
Rep

Quote:
Nice one, cheers! I'm assuming you took these before and didn't put the OEM exhaust back on just for this video?

Where were the extra bits taken? Looks like in a parking garage - just wondered because a lot of videos are taken outdoors, which would make it sound different.

I'm not 100%, I like the sound of the AWE after it's quietened a bit, and on revving, perhaps a tad rumbly for me on cold start, would be great to hear one in the flesh but I doubt that's gonna happen

Cheers for the video
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #12
crazy-frog
Private
Rep

Quote:
Oh and also, what do you reckon to your 2TB coding? Sounds pretty spot on!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #13
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nice one, cheers! I'm assuming you took these before and didn't put the OEM exhaust back on just for this video?

Where were the extra bits taken? Looks like in a parking garage - just wondered because a lot of videos are taken outdoors, which would make it sound different.

I'm not 100%, I like the sound of the AWE after it's quietened a bit, and on revving, perhaps a tad rumbly for me on cold start, would be great to hear one in the flesh but I doubt that's gonna happen

Cheers for the video
Yes - They were some old videos that I didn't put in the final video because I thought it would be too long. Anyhow, they are now in, yes a parking garage so everything is a little more amplified. It is a bit loud on cold-start, but like I said, nothing that bad. A lot quieter than my 6.0 V8, that sounded like a power boat, that is for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh and also, what do you reckon to your 2TB coding? Sounds pretty spot on!
Highly recommend it, changed the car for me quite a bit.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=19278028
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #15
Josh/AWE
Rep

Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Cheers, JA
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #16
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Hey Josh - Hope you are well...I'm about 1500 miles in on this exhaust, still loving it. No complaints, exhaust sounds great and receives many compliments.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #17
Josh/AWE
Rep

Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Great to hear! Keep rumblin'
Appreciate 0