F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Modifying the 335d...Is this stupid?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #45
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezm3 View Post
Hi all
Maybe I Should have been a bit clearer in my original question .
I was wondering if the adaptive suspension needed recalibrating to the updated spring rate not how difficult it is to change coil springs as that's a given ( not rocket science ) unless your the type of individual who daren't change a plug incase you cause an electrical fire dure in the night.
No it doesn't that I'm aware of. The only recalibration of the adaptive damper software that I'm aware of is that by Alpina on the B3 and D3 and by a the US tuners Dinan.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #46
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezm3 View Post
Hi all
Maybe I Should have been a bit clearer in my original question .
I was wondering if the adaptive suspension needed recalibrating to the updated spring rate not how difficult it is to change coil springs as that's a given ( not rocket science ) unless your the type of individual who daren't change a plug incase you cause an electrical fire dure in the night.
Don't think this is a requirement. What BMW have done, almost across the board on the F20/30 series, is over-damp on relatively soft springs. Seems 15-20% stiffer spring rate is a better match to the damper rates. As Guy reports his ride is no more crashy, this almost certainly guarantees that the springs are too soft for the damping rates to start with. Don't get me started on BMW's suspension strategy
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 03:48 AM   #47
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Interesting thread. Sorry I've been away for the weekend or I would have joined in.

Regarding the warranty we warrant our springs and any affected components for 2 years. If there is an issue on a car fitted with our components BMW will look at it and if they decide the failure is due to the modification we will pay for the repairs at the dealer, whoever fitted the part (providing they have been installed correctly of course). If the failure is just a routine parts failure then BMW will cover it. As a recent example of this we had an M5 with our springs suffer a damper leak. This was replaced under BMW warranty as the leak was clearly not caused by the springs, but if BMW had declined it due to the springs being fitted we would have covered it as it's a related component.

Long story short, you're still covered.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #48
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Interesting thread. Sorry I've been away for the weekend or I would have joined in.

Regarding the warranty we warrant our springs and any affected components for 2 years. If there is an issue on a car fitted with our components BMW will look at it and if they decide the failure is due to the modification we will pay for the repairs at the dealer, whoever fitted the part (providing they have been installed correctly of course). If the failure is just a routine parts failure then BMW will cover it. As a recent example of this we had an M5 with our springs suffer a damper leak. This was replaced under BMW warranty as the leak was clearly not caused by the springs, but if BMW had declined it due to the springs being fitted we would have covered it as it's a related component.

Thanks for clarifying Lorcan.

Feel free to add your own thoughts on the best mods to do!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #49
Lorcan
Rep

Fitting instructions if you fancy a crack at it yourself. Scroll to the second half for the English version:

http://preisliste.ac-schnitzer.de/ac...3130230320.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 03:58 AM   #50
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Bizarrely my MPG has gone up to over 41 on the last two tanks. Win win as far as I'm concerned.
This is quite common. Due to the increase in power and torque most of the time you won't be pushing the pedal quite as hard as on the standard car to get where you want to go. The result can be a fuel saving, depending on how lead-footed you are. We don't claim it as such because it varies from driver to driver, and of course if you use the increased power a lot this has to come from somewhere, but I hear of savings in the 2 to 7mpg range quite often. Which, of course, can offset the cost of the upgrade in part.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:37 AM   #51
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post

Thanks for clarifying the warranty of the ACS parts Lorcan. That has put my mind at rest!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #52
matk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Yes I've always liked them, and they always look great on a 3 series! I also like the Avant Garde wheels:
http://avantgardewheels.com

The M310, M359 and M590 in particular I like.

The Morr wheels are very tasty too:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764747
590s would look awesome!!
Appreciate 0