F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Tesla Model 3...could it tempt you?
proTUNING Freaks

03-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Tesla Model 3...could it tempt you?

Chaps,

Watched the Tesla unveiling of the Model 3 tonight (it's not a new video but the first time I've seen it). Must say that it looks pretty good. Cost they reckon maybe about £35k and range is 215 miles minimum on a charge. Supercharging stations approx 3500 worldwide set to double over next 12 months and these stations provide free charges for the warranty lifetime of the battery which is 8 years. Apparently, charges enough to do 170 miles in 30 mins! Then there is destination charges forecasted to be 15000 worldwide by next year. Not sure on cost to charge at home but seems cheap.

0-60 less than six seconds (base model) and Elon says that some Model 3's will be quicker.

All in all, pretty impressive. Just wondered would anyone consider one of these and should BMW be worried?

Elon Musk might just take over the world!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

On paper it looks ideal for us. It would only need charging once per week and we could use the T car for those rare longer journeys or just hire a diesel for a couple of days.

I would be surprised if it landed in the UK at £35K though. They were speculating that price when the Model 3 was announced and the pound was worth more than $1.50.
      03-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
Mike-
Rep
Drives: E46 330cd

Fantastic prospect these. It's a shame shows like Top Gear that reach such a vast audience poopoo these kinds of cars so much (watch the one with the i3) and use a bit of editing and ineptitude to make electric cars look so shambolic.
      03-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
ioannisG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F30

I'd love to get one. The problem though is that I live in a block of flats and can't plug it in my home electricity plugs. If I owned a house, this would have been my next car though. You plug it in every night and it's available with a 200 mile range by the next morning...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

The reason I looked was that I saw a Model X in the flesh on Thursday. It was behind me and then it flew past me 2 mins later. No turbo lag on those and 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. Pricy though £80k plus.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I wouldn't take the suggested range too literally - rather like official fuel economy figures, they aren't based on normal driving. Interesting car though.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I wouldn't take the suggested range too literally - rather like official fuel economy figures, they aren't based on normal driving. Interesting car though.
Exactly, a claimed 215 mile range is probably more like 120 in the real world, and as I regularly do more than that in a day I'd need a minimum 215 mile range, or at least a 300 mile claimed range! And I'd also need better discipline so I'd remember to plug it in every night!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #8
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

Hmm, I'm not totally sold on the Teslas at the moment and I'm not sure it is the utopia the marketing suggests. For the few, at present, its a great prospect for saving the planet with regard to emissions if you straight compare it to a petrol or diesel guzzler. Once the niche becomes the norm, the benefits will be balanced. Extra electricity production, the producers covering their costs etc, etc. As some have remarked, Tesla have spearheaded the reality of a pure electric car in a useable package but once the rest of the world catches up, they may be consigned to history.

Their styling doesnt make me want to pay a premium just because of pub bragging rights of a ludicrous 0-60 time. Their styling reminds me of generic GTA or other video game random cars....jelly mould, rather dull and regardless of rear gull wing doors or large interior tablet, it isn't enough to push most towards the brand. It may be they've chosen to go down a route of making them look mundane and non assuming so as not to scare the population?

Mainstream manufacturers (BMW for one) have gone towards a rather more radical approach to separate their electric cars (i8 etc).

I had the chance to poke around a Model S at a local car show and I have to say, it looked very nice and very well built and all the staff from Tesla were very 'Apple genius' types. Black roll-necks, sharp haircuts and 'on-message'. Couldn't help feeling that it is still a bit of a novelty in a very hard market of petrol and hybrids. I was troubled by the answer to my question asking if they could throw in an extra long extension lead that was cow and pig chewable proof cos I lived on a farm .....

Most of us on here are fairly conservative and when it comes to our car buying metrics, are quite old fashioned. Reflects the world consumer market too.

The Model 3 could have been a bit more radical in its design. The front end grille area just looks like they couldn't be arsed and took a Ford Puma or Cougar and just deleted the intake area.

Tesla, if you want to sway the majority of the car buying population, you need to offer a look than moves away from the mundane and exploit the advantages of not having to stuff a 4 or 6 cylinder motor in the nose. When I see the Model 3, it just makes me want to drive like a twat through Los Santos until I find a better car to mow down a shit load of drug dealers......
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2017, 02:46 AM   #9
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

As mentioned above, it's great that Tesla are pioneering this technology.

However once the proper car manufacturers get on board, I can see Tesla having to compete with European and Japanese cars, let's face it the Tesla is a bit on the ugly side.

I also believe that the model 3 owners do pay for charging and that all other Tesla's bought after January 2017 only get 1000 miles free and then need to pay.

The question of who is responsible for actually creating a charging network.

Personally I believe the government needs to add say a £200 quid tax on all electric cars (including hybrids) to pay for the update of our electrical infrastructure. Your average street is apparently not scaled for say 40 cars charging at 6pm or overnight.

Then there is the requirement for motorway service stations having more land for charging stations. Imagine bank holiday Monday, driving to cottage some place, pulling in to a service station and finding 10 other electric cars ahead of you.

The government does need to get things sorted with Jaguar and its requirement to build a U.K. Battery R&D - manufacturing centre.

The London taxi company has just developed its first electric taxi, built at its Coventry factory, these start manufacturing this year.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...ickshire-plant
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:12 AM   #10
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

I think he tech is brilliant and I'll have a tesla in a heartbeat,

On the other hand, I feel if I did buy one, I may as well vote for the Green Party. And there is no chance of me doing that any time soon.

So I'll drive around a bit longer, killing a few polar bears along the way.

That and I like the smell of petrol stations...I'm no the only weirdo who does, imagine the smell of a electric station? It would just smell of the bin they place next to it...old Burger King wrappers and a used condom.
      03-26-2017, 03:30 AM   #11
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

This is well built? This pic taken in Tesla showroom in Orlando. Stunning attention to detail these welds!

Problem posting?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:32 AM   #12
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Pic two. Problem posting???
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:39 AM   #13
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
As mentioned above, it's great that Tesla are pioneering this technology.

However once the proper car manufacturers get on board, I can see Tesla having to compete with European and Japanese cars, let's face it the Tesla is a bit on the ugly side.

I also believe that the model 3 owners do pay for charging and that all other Tesla's bought after January 2017 only get 1000 miles free and then need to pay.

The question of who is responsible for actually creating a charging network.

Personally I believe the government needs to add say a £200 quid tax on all electric cars (including hybrids) to pay for the update of our electrical infrastructure. Your average street is apparently not scaled for say 40 cars charging at 6pm or overnight.

Then there is the requirement for motorway service stations having more land for charging stations. Imagine bank holiday Monday, driving to cottage some place, pulling in to a service station and finding 10 other electric cars ahead of you.

The government does need to get things sorted with Jaguar and its requirement to build a U.K. Battery R&D - manufacturing centre.

The London taxi company has just developed its first electric taxi, built at its Coventry factory, these start manufacturing this year.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...ickshire-plant
Bollocks to that. The road tax we have currently should be paying for the infrastructure!

And no more land is needed anywhere, you just need to fit charging stations meant to the existing spaces over time.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:40 AM   #14
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edinburra View Post
This is well built? This pic taken in Tesla showroom in Orlando. Stunning attention to detail these welds!

Problem posting?
Now put that American body shell on....
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:41 AM   #15
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbol-formerly Mr Helmut View Post
Hmm, I'm not totally sold on the Teslas at the moment and I'm not sure it is the utopia the marketing suggests. For the few, at present, its a great prospect for saving the planet with regard to emissions if you straight compare it to a petrol or diesel guzzler. Once the niche becomes the norm, the benefits will be balanced. Extra electricity production, the producers covering their costs etc, etc. As some have remarked, Tesla have spearheaded the reality of a pure electric car in a useable package but once the rest of the world catches up, they may be consigned to history.

Their styling doesnt make me want to pay a premium just because of pub bragging rights of a ludicrous 0-60 time. Their styling reminds me of generic GTA or other video game random cars....jelly mould, rather dull and regardless of rear gull wing doors or large interior tablet, it isn't enough to push most towards the brand. It may be they've chosen to go down a route of making them look mundane and non assuming so as not to scare the population?

Mainstream manufacturers (BMW for one) have gone towards a rather more radical approach to separate their electric cars (i8 etc).

I had the chance to poke around a Model S at a local car show and I have to say, it looked very nice and very well built and all the staff from Tesla were very 'Apple genius' types. Black roll-necks, sharp haircuts and 'on-message'. Couldn't help feeling that it is still a bit of a novelty in a very hard market of petrol and hybrids. I was troubled by the answer to my question asking if they could throw in an extra long extension lead that was cow and pig chewable proof cos I lived on a farm .....

Most of us on here are fairly conservative and when it comes to our car buying metrics, are quite old fashioned. Reflects the world consumer market too.

The Model 3 could have been a bit more radical in its design. The front end grille area just looks like they couldn't be arsed and took a Ford Puma or Cougar and just deleted the intake area.

Tesla, if you want to sway the majority of the car buying population, you need to offer a look than moves away from the mundane and exploit the advantages of not having to stuff a 4 or 6 cylinder motor in the nose. When I see the Model 3, it just makes me want to drive like a twat through Los Santos until I find a better car to mow down a shit load of drug dealers......
Tesla don't need to persuade the majority, they just need to convince a decent and growing niche, who are prepared to put the premium.

Not every company needs to have world domination as an objective.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:44 AM   #16
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEssex330d View Post
I think he tech is brilliant and I'll have a tesla in a heartbeat,

On the other hand, I feel if I did buy one, I may as well vote for the Green Party. And there is no chance of me doing that any time soon.

So I'll drive around a bit longer, killing a few polar bears along the way.

That and I like the smell of petrol stations...I'm no the only weirdo who does, imagine the smell of a electric station? It would just smell of the bin they place next to it...old Burger King wrappers and a used condom.
Not sure why I see why buying a Tesla should make you vote one way or another? Choosing who to vote for isn't that different to buying a car in many ways... you look at what they offer, versus what it's going to cost you, and choose which adds up.
Or in the case of politics, what is least worst!

I would never vote for the greens, but I'd buy a tesla, though only as a second car for foreseeable future.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:44 AM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Bollocks to that. The road tax we have currently should be paying for the infrastructure!

And no more land is needed anywhere, you just need to fit charging stations meant to the existing spaces over time.
But the tax was originally for the general up keep of roads, not from adding an extra 10 sub stations to Solihull and the accompanying electric cable upgrades.

One of the key reasons behind this £40k tax, is to cover the reduced income from zero and very low emissions.

Also what existing space?

Even Cambridge struggles with electric charging spaces.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:46 AM   #18
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Trying again to post pic of welds. Done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:48 AM   #19
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

But the tax was originally for the general up keep of roads, not from adding an extra 10 sub stations to Solihull and the accompanying electric cable upgrades.

One of the key reasons behind this £40k tax, is to cover the reduced income from zero and very low emissions.

Also what existing space?

Even Cambridge struggles with electric charging spaces.
It's not been used for even that for decades so would be a damn fine thing if they did actually use it for road transport infrastructure.

There's lots of parking spaces in the country, and over the years I don't see why charging stations can't be added to more of them. Motorway service stations, train station car parks, shopping malls, multi stories etc.

But as battery tech improves it should make it less of an issue anyway, for those who can charge at home.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:54 AM   #20
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

There are two key issues for me currently.

First is around battery manufacturing and recycling. So if they can sort this and ensure full environmental lifecycle costs are lower then that's great news.

Second is electricity production. Theoretically a power station should be more efficient than a combustion engine at creating propulsive power, so if we can produce enough of it, then there should be theoretically, overall less carbon production. And of course massively less local air pollution in cities where people live.

So it's nowhere near the overall solution, and in the meantime it's for early adopters or the reasonably well off who can take advantage of the tax benefits in certain circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 05:45 AM   #21
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

When they can do circa 400 real world miles on a single charge I will consider one.

Until then the way I see it is that it is technology which is still in it's infancy. Not for me right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #22
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Not designed for arbitrary uk roads. NVH & durability issues, ride and handling problems over poor road surfaces.

All curable with time and volume, hence trying to poach people from UK and german premium/luxury brands, that is those who were left after apple took a load a couple of years ago.