F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Low tire pressure in one of the rear wheels? Flat?
ARMA SPEED

04-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
bimmer21k
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 G20

Low tire pressure in one of the rear wheels? Flat?

I noticed my 3 series has low tire pressure compared to other 3 wheels (33 vs 40ish in others) The car system doesn't detect it as a flat, not sure if something is wrong or not but this is weird? I have had this car for only a month and it is new. Do you suspect a leak or a problem? How frequently do you people go fill up your tire pressure? How do we detect a flat tire on a run flat?

Is this covered under the tire and wheel insurance?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Fill all tires to correct pressure and see if it lowers again in a few days if you don’t want to physically check for a nail. The runflat won’t look flat but that is why you have tpms.

If the tire pressure starts dropping on the runflat it means there’s a leak. Just pull off the offending wheel and look for the leak.

Not sure what is covered or not. If it’s a defect, I’m sure it’s covered. Never heard of a nail being covered. My daughter’s right rear had a leak, I just took it off and pulled a big nail out. Plugged it and she’s good to go. Took maybe 15 mins?

Also what’s the door placard say your tire pressures should be? If it’s like 31 or 32 then the 33 won’t trigger a low tire warning.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 02:23 AM   #3
bimmer21k
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Fill all tires to correct pressure and see if it lowers again in a few days if you don’t want to physically check for a nail. The runflat won’t look flat but that is why you have tpms.

If the tire pressure starts dropping on the runflat it means there’s a leak. Just pull off the offending wheel and look for the leak.

Not sure what is covered or not. If it’s a defect, I’m sure it’s covered. Never heard of a nail being covered. My daughter’s right rear had a leak, I just took it off and pulled a big nail out. Plugged it and she’s good to go. Took maybe 15 mins?

Also what’s the door placard say your tire pressures should be? If it’s like 31 or 32 then the 33 won’t trigger a low tire warning.

Thanks, I visited the dealership and they found a nail sticking inside the tire causing it to lose pressure too quick. They are replacing it under the tire protection. Thanks for the plugging advice. I haven't lived in USA before, I am new her, I have no experience working on cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 02:51 AM   #4
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I’m glad they fixed it under the protection plan. Especially on a new car. I never bought the protection plans because I never needed them in the past.

Most places won’t patch a run flat tire and will replace the whole tire.

When my daughter had her flat, most places wanted $30 because they say they have to patch it from the inside. I’m old and used to just plugging it. Been doing it for over 30 years so I will just be the curmudgeon that I am and keep doing it the old way.

Enjoy your new car! You’ll love it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:02 AM   #5
bimmer21k
Rep

Quote:
I’m glad they fixed it under the protection plan. Especially on a new car. I never bought the protection plans because I never needed them in the past.

When my daughter had her flat, most places wanted $30 because they say they have to patch it from the inside. I’m old and used to just plugging it. Been doing it for over 30 years so I will just be the curmudgeon that I am and keep doing it the old way.

Thanks, very much! Your advice and this forum in general has been super helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #6
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

i would have started with checking for a puncture before posting a thread about low tire pressure in a single tire....

you may want to verify your headlight fluid is topped off as well.
      04-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:

id prefer the more permanent patch from the inside over a temporary plug. the $30 covers that and the balancing. if anything you get a wheel balance for free?
      04-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #8
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
True. It includes wheel balancing but her tires are over five years old. I’m replacing them all next month. Just got to get her through the next week.
Appreciate 0