F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Cheap solution for wider/better tires on the F30
Extreme Powerhouse

08-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Question Cheap solution for wider/better tires on the F30

When I test drove the 335i (luxury line), I slammed the accelerator at a traffic signal and noticed that for a short period the car kind of skidded in-place without thrusting forward. It gave me the impression that the tires just could not provide adequate grip to avoid that from happening.

I have a 335i F30 on the way. If I swapped out the tires for better (wider/summer) tires, would that help avoid the above kind of behavior?

The rest of the questions are assuming that the answer to the above question is "yes".

What would be an inexpensive(no wheel change) solution to improve tire performance?

1) The OEMs are 225/45 on 18x8 wheels. Would going staggered with 245/40 (same wheels) on the rear help? Since the 245s would be mounted on 8" rims they would effectively lose about 0.2" effective width which would actually make them around 240. Still better than 225... right?

If yes:

2) Could I just replace the rear tires with wider summer performance tires while retaining the narrower OEM all seasons in front? Can you mix tires of different classes (summer tires with AS tires)? Would that necessarily improve performance? That way I just need to buy 2 tires and not 4.

3) A 245/40 in the rear will yield approximately 1% smaller overall diameter compared to the the front OEMs(25.72" vs 25.98") . Is that ok? Could that cause the car to feel a bit inclined upwards (I would like this car to remain a F30 and not become an F16)? Would that difference affect the ABS, odometer, speedometer or other electronics in the F30?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly

As a general opinion, the f30 tire choices from the dealer suck. I believe the Goodyears on my sportline are 340 treadwear so changing them even in the same size to something good in the 60 area (pirelli corsa system, michelin sport cup) would fix the problem with the cars stock power although the car comes with too much body roll to begin with and this would make it worse because suspension needs to match the tires and weight of the car.

In general 225x45x18 to 245x40x18 (to keep a similar height) would be about 7% wider and less than 1% longer in contact patch but square area of tire doesn't mean traction nearly as much as compound or even tire pressure (non runflats could be more than 7% wider by just being under inflated)
Appreciate 0