F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Help!!How to retrofit my new cluster into my F30
Extreme Powerhouse

02-16-2014, 05:09 AM   #23
pacmanAUS72
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 320D M-Sport

Can I ask where you got the "S6WAA Instrument panel with extended scope" from ??

Thinking of doing the same retrofit

Interested on how you went in the end
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #24
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mougwai View Post
Hello,

I am using 50.4 data.

retrofit done !

I swapped my FEM Middle line to FEM Max.. wired most ring to the Head unit and now i can see 6WA Kombi in E SYS or INPA: if you do not connect Most ring, you will not able to see kombi for coding: HeadUnit must have most ring : my business navigation comes without most ring ! (no matter i replaced by NBT)

I don't know why, I was not able to see 6WA Kombi with my orginal FEM (middle line version)... with HU NBTconnected.

for shawnsheridan, you are familar with cluster retrofit, i retrofited used kombi, and in eeprom, we changed vin to my vin car: but the red dot still there !

Cluster is running fine, we can reset service, can be coded... and in identification from kombi, we can see correct VIN

Do i need to reset Vin using FF byte ?
You should blank VIN with FF, and then write VIN via Coding. VIN, short and long, may be in more than one place in EEPROM, and both must be blanked.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #25
Serpent720
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 328i

Thanks for your reply Mougwai.
So you mean there are various version of FEM HW? Did you order the FEM MAX line from BMW? What is the approx. cost?

Many thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #26
mougwai
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You should blank VIN with FF, and then write VIN via Coding. VIN, short and long, may be in more than one place in EEPROM, and both must be blanked.
Okay, there are 1 time long vin and 3 times short VIN, i will replace them by FF instead of my VIN.

Maybe the coding do something more to solve the problem
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #27
mougwai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Okay, thanks you, there are 1 time long vin and 3 times short VIN, i will replace them by FF instead of my VIN.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #28
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Okay, there are 1 time long vin and 3 times short VIN, i will replace them by FF instead of my VIN.

Ok. Good luck.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #29
mougwai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent720 View Post
Thanks for your reply Mougwai.
So you mean there are various version of FEM HW? Did you order the FEM MAX line from BMW? What is the approx. cost?

Many thanks,
i ordered from bmw dealer ( around 500€ ), because fem have CAS inside : you need ISTA 50.4 in order to make key alignement and be able to start your engine

I ordered lastet HW FEM 7.1, see part number.

I don't know if it is the FEM that solve my problem, i want to put back my old fem to check again !

Did you code your navi for 6WA ? check your most wiring, if it is not reversed..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #30
mougwai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hello,

We did it, installed a new EPPROM with O Km and reset all occurency of VIN by FF...

I was able to code the kombi (e sys), kombi got the good vin, and is working fine.... but the red dot still there (fyi service can be reseted, and kombi is working corretly).

I run ISTA and check the box Kombi was replaced... IsatP (5.4), do the job key alignement on the kombi with success... but the red dot still there

i checked in INPA, NO ERROR about Kombi !

I do not understand !
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #31
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Tamper dot is VIN Mismatch. You need to flash it to write VIN then.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #32
nfxsh
Rep
Drives: 2013 F35

Quote:
Hello,

I am using 50.4 data.

retrofit done !

I swapped my FEM Middle line to FEM Max.. wired most ring to the Head unit and now i can see 6WA Kombi in E SYS or INPA: if you do not connect Most ring, you will not able to see kombi for coding: HeadUnit must have most ring : my business navigation comes without most ring ! (no matter i replaced by NBT)

I don't know why, I was not able to see 6WA Kombi with my orginal FEM (middle line version)... with HU NBTconnected.
hi, I run into a similar issue on my 2013 F35 328 (F35 is the "longer" version of F30, specifically for PRC Market) - I retrofited to NBT + 8.8" CID last year, now try to upgrade to a 6wa IC. IC is connected to NBT directly with optical cables. Time can be set from NBT and show up in the custer which proves the MOST ring works, but just couldn't find Kombi in ECU list.

My car did come with MOST ring before though - it used to have a Combox, but it's removed during NBT retrofit, but now I just lave the optical cable open in the trunk. So when I install the cluster, I just added a new pair of optical cable and unplugged the old optical cable from NBT which I *think* is useless anyway. The car is a basic model of 328, it doesn't have other fancy MOST nodes such as CD changer, Video module or Amp. It does have the dock circuit for mobile phone such as iphone ( I don't know the professional name for that part), but I don't think it has anything to do with the MOST ring connection, does it?

mougwai, are you sure now the FEM is the root cause? Have you tried swap back the old middle line FEM? I heard others suggesting it might be conflict with some kind of "gateway" , is it the FEM? sorry, I'm pretty newbie on this...

Please help! I'm really appreciated!

Last edited by nfxsh; 03-05-2014 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: add more detail description of request
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #33
nfxsh
Rep

Quote:
Tamper dot is VIN Mismatch. You need to flash it to write VIN then.
so, under any case, if I see the red dot, it's a proof that it's used Cluster? I do see the red dot even I couldn't retrofit it into my car yet..

I'm worried I was cheated by the vendor. He said it's a new one!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #34
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It means there is a VIN Mismatch. In theory, it could still be new with Blank VIN, and that would be a mismatch to your car's VIN.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #35
nfxsh
Rep

Quote:
It means there is a VIN Mismatch. In theory, it could still be new with Blank VIN, and that would be a mismatch to your car's VIN.
Got it, Shawn! thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:03 AM   #36
nfxsh
Rep

Quote:
btw, I remember when I connect the cluster to my car, it actually displayed a mileage that matches, i.e. same as the what the old cluster showed. Does this mean anything on identifying if the cluster is used or new? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #37
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No. It just means that Kombi mileage was less than the car's mileage, so it took the higher mileage from car.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #38
nfxsh
Rep

Quote:
No. It just means that Kombi mileage was less than the car's mileage, so it took the higher mileage from car.
ok, thanks, Shawn. I found some names such as hamfei or larryzhou who are in the same city as me, hopefully I can get a contact with them for some offline helps. I'm really out of ideas now and never thought retrofit a cluster would need such a lot of effort on my car..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #39
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am not sure why you are having so much trouble. If cluster was in fact new, it should only have been a matter of installing it, injecting CAFD into Kombi, and VO Coding it. It acts though as if it was not new, and has a different VIN.

hamfei or larryzhou are too good sources for help though.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #40
nfxsh
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure why you are having so much trouble. If cluster was in fact new, it should only have been a matter of installing it, injecting CAFD into Kombi, and VO Coding it. It acts though as if it was not new, and has a different VIN.

hamfei or larryzhou are too good sources for help though.
by some study, i'm kind of worried that my original system did has a MOST ring with ZGW sit in before, and I just disconnected it during NBT retrofit..

When I did NBT retrofit, the combox is just unplugged, and as I said the two optical cable are just left open in the trunk. Before IC is installed, there is no use of the MOST ring anyway. What I did when installing the IC is to connect the IC directly with NBT through another pair of fibre cable.

If the ZGW plays a role in detecting the IC (aka, Kombi), ZGW is not connected in the MOST ring...

I'm thinking to loop back the two fire cable in the trunk where Combox is connected, and chain the Kombi into the current fire connection rather than just unpluging the green-and-black old cable back in NBT and plug in the new one..

Shawn, would you please shed some light on me if the analysis about ZGW's role in Kombi detection makes sense? I'm kind of worried there can be only one master in the MOST ring. Some document I collected suggests that the ZGW is the master (shooting out the red light), but from what I see NBT is also shooting out the red light, I don't know if NBT and ZGW would conflict...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #41
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sorry, but I really don't know. I am not an expert on all the Bus topology.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #42
mougwai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfxsh View Post
My car did come with MOST ring before though - it used to have a Combox, but it's removed during NBT retrofit, but now I just lave the optical cable open in the trunk. So when I install the cluster, I just added a new pair of optical cable and unplugged the old optical cable from NBT which I *think* is useless anyway. The car is a basic model of 328, it doesn't have other fancy MOST nodes such as CD changer, Video module or Amp. It does have the dock circuit for mobile phone such as iphone ( I don't know the professional name for that part), but I don't think it has anything to do with the MOST ring connection, does it?

mougwai, are you sure now the FEM is the root cause? Have you tried swap back the old middle line FEM? I heard others suggesting it might be conflict with some kind of "gateway" , is it the FEM? sorry, I'm pretty newbie on this...

Please help! I'm really appreciated!
Sorry, i did not swap back my fem, i did a lot of retrofit in the car (HUD, NBT, FLA, Harman Kardon, Kafas, APPS, xenon...) and i am afraid to put back my old fem

replacing my FEM solved my problem of 6WA: with old FEM, it was impossible to see KOMBI in the ECU list, I spent a long time to understand that the problem come from the FEM.

in F30 all the gateway are managed by the FEM, it is all built inside: it seems that FEM high is able to link Most ring with PTCAN, it is the only way to see kombi in ecu list.

My car did come with MOST ring before though - it used to have a Combox, but it's removed during NBT retrofit, but now I just lave the optical cable open in the trunk.

It is better to close the most ring in the trunk with this

So when I install the cluster, I just added a new pair of optical cable and unplugged the old optical cable from NBT which I *think* is useless anyway.
Yes, if you wired directly the cluster to the NBT, the most ring from the combox is useless, but it is not the correct way

Please, be sure that the most ring is not reversed, IN and OUT: check again.

CLUSTER IN to NBT OUT
and NBT IN to Cluster OUT.

The car is a basic model of 328, it doesn't have other fancy MOST nodes such as CD changer, Video module or Amp. It does have the dock circuit for mobile phone such as iphone ( I don't know the professional name for that part), but I don't think it has anything to do with the MOST ring connection, does it?

DOck is not connected by MOST but by HSD cable for USB and Snapin, and some wires for power supply and aux input. you should re wired snap to your NBT using HSD cable for NBT (different from combox) it is optional...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:55 AM   #43
nfxsh
Rep

Thank you for your response, mougwai!

Yes, I've double checked the link of IN/OUT is correct as you described. Beside physically check with my eyes , I can set time in NBT and it's shown on the Cluster. Without optical cables, I can not do that. I do plan to loop back the open ends of the optical cables in trunk in next trial...

So, with the FEM high, did you just connect Cluster to NBT like you described below?

CLUSTER IN to NBT OUT
and NBT IN to Cluster OUT.

If so, the Cluster and NBT then makes a close loop with no other node in the loop. But, if FEM is not in the MOST ring, how can the FEM "link Most ring with PTCAN"?

What confused me is I do see several successful story that people with even lower configuration such as F35 320Li basic model retrofit the Extended IC and NBT successfully, and comment from them is like a snap, "just connect the IC to NBT with extra optical wires, do a quick coding, then you're all set..". F35 320li basic mode doesn't have Combox, but mine does. Could it because their FEM is high version while mine is low? Gee...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:14 AM   #44
nfxsh
Rep

As my car originally uses CIC and Combox, I'm kind of worried that it's bus layout is like this old solution used in F01 basic model. I think I can close the ring with some connectors to chain in Kombi. What worries me is , I heard CIC is not a MOST master, i.e. it doesn't generate the red light, probably it's the ZGW that generate the red light? anyhow, now I have NBT shoots out the red light, if I loop in ZGW, Kombi and NBT, there are two masters in one ring!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0