F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Starting to see more in the wild
Extreme Powerhouse

07-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #23
328igt
Rep
Drives: 328i GT x-Drive

I have had my 328i GT for 2 months now in West Houston and today I saw the first "other" GT, but it was a 5 series! So I still have not seen even one 3 series in West Houston in 2 months. I would like to add that I'm very happy with my purchase.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #24
Germancarnut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2015, Audi Q7 2017

I've seen about 15 total on the street in the Boston area, 2 within the past week. Certainly more than 5 GTs. Seems to be a slightly bigger market here than elsewhere.

I don't mind that they are still relatively rare though.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #25
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335ix GT

Fellow 3er GT lovers- take heart for BMW will carry on with it! They have spent a lot of engineering talent on first creating the stretch wheelbase sedan for China and second reworking that model into our GT. Even if only a modest success here they get more out of that original expense. And they are committed to fill every market niche. I do not know how well the Audi A5 5 door is selling in Europe, but they certainly have a (better) competitor in that segment. A question for Europeans and European Delivery customers: how common is the 3er GT there?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #26
ELNch
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320iGt xdrive M-sport

Here in Norway I have seen quite a few, even as school learner cars, but nowhere near as many as the f31 or f11.

After testdriving the x3, f11 and the f34 I decided that the rear legrom was what I needed for my child seat. And that i really like the look of it especially With the M-sport pck. I also think it hadles a bit better than the f11.

( A side note that might be interesting: sedans like f30, f10 are bought by older drivers usually. The touring or in my case the Hatch is considered the more sporty look among younger people)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #27
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for that information. I was thinking Europeans are buying more GT models. Hatchbacks were never an American style vehicle. Americans equate hatchbacks with imported cheap boring cars. Touring, or "station wagons" as they are termed here, have a more interesting history. As the name implies, they replaced the horse drawn wagons originally used to collect passengers and baggage from train depots and deliver them to hotels. Through the 1940's the passenger body section was framed out in real wood. (Ford had at one time a lumber mill and factory in the Northwest to provide this essential component!) By the 1950's station wagons were all steel but had fiberglass and vinyl appliques to mimic the original beautiful real wood paneling. They lost this rugged image then as they became suburbanite vehicles. There are no station wagons produced by American car companies today. The SUV has taken its place since it now provides that same rugged image, only now it comes from the "go anywhere" Jeep concept. As for me, I see the GT as the perfect cross between the best of the station wagon, hatchback and SUV concepts! I have an order in to pick up a 335 GT via European Delivery in October. I can't wait to amaze my friends when I show them all its features!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #28
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Ive only seen a handful in the DC metro area. My favorite was a 335 Estoril blue m-sport I saw a few weeks back in the Fair Oaks area.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #29
sooz
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEssad View Post
Same here. Saw a couple in NJ and just saw one yesterday on the upper west side in NYC.
It was me.

As soon as I got an Alpine White 328i GT, a couple of days later, someone else in my development got one. Just like mine!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #30
llscaz
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix gt

so many negative derogatory remarks from 3 series lovers
that unfairly despise the 3 gt looks. Many of us like the look
and love the space the gt gives us. The nitch market may
bring more first time buyers and fans, like myself, into the
BMW family. I love my 335ix gt!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #31
mattu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 14 335GT, 21 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by llscaz View Post
so many negative derogatory remarks from 3 series lovers
that unfairly despise the 3 gt looks. Many of us like the look
and love the space the gt gives us. The nitch market may
bring more first time buyers and fans, like myself, into the
BMW family. I love my 335ix gt!
The 3GT is excellent for what it's meant to be: a compromise car for people who want driving dynamics comparable to the F30, but need SUV-like utility and space.

I don't know...Are 3 series "lovers" that hate on the GT trying to act like they drive a "real" or "pure" BMW? If so, they aren't. The F30 is the same size as an E39 5 series, has electric steering with little feedback, and a "sport" mode that you have to turn on. These people need to go buy an e30 325is or e46 ZHP if they want a "real" 3 series experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #32
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGBMW View Post
There are no station wagons produced by American car companies today. The SUV has taken its place since it now provides that same rugged image, only now it comes from the "go anywhere" Jeep concept. As for me, I see the GT as the perfect cross between the best of the station wagon, hatchback and SUV concepts!
Couldn't agree more. In fact, if anyone asks me why I don't buy American, I simply have to point out that I didn't abandon the American car manufacturers, they abandoned me when they stopped making (sporty, fun) wagons. The GT is a great compromise between a wagon and a SUV. There isn't one SUV I like. They're basically a high center of gravity station wagon with black plastic cladding to make them look rugged. It is nothing more than a product of Madison Avenue's ("Mad Men") advertising. And I'm not a lemming, I like to think I can think for myself and not follow the crowd (over the cliff). Ok, that's enough ranting.

Back to the subject. I saw a white 328GT at a retirement home near my home earlier this summer that was visiting from Columbus, OH (according to the license plate frame). I see a white 5GT once in a blue moon here in town. However, they too might be visiting from out of town. Referring back to my lemming comment, this makes me very happy, I do not want to drive something everyone else drives.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #33
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep

Ireland first, then Germany

We're visiting relatives here in Ireland, and then going on to Munich to pick up our 335 GT via European Delivery. I brought the US brochure to show the people here the car I'm buying. As many in the US, they haven't seen one. I'll report back from Germany on both how many GT's we see as well as my first driving impression. Delivery day is Friday and the weather is reported to be sunny and 75 degrees!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #34
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge View Post
Referring back to my lemming comment, this makes me very happy, I do not want to drive something everyone else drives.
Very well said Mark, my thoughts exactly.
I have yet to see another one in the North of Scotland . . . I love the exclusivity

Ron,
Good luck with the ED pick up, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
I'll be in Barcelona next week, so if you want to bring it down to Spain, I can take a look

Lets see lots of pics when you get home.
      10-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #35
limal45
Rep
Drives: 2014 mineral grey 328iGT

living in jeddah - saudi - not seen another here yet - i might be the first!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #36
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattu View Post
The 3GT is excellent for what it's meant to be: a compromise car for people who want driving dynamics comparable to the F30, but need SUV-like utility and space.
Except that the driving dynamics are nowhere comparable to an F30. Between the 1/4 second lag when starting out and the way the car "wallows" on the freeway, my 335xi GT (with MPPK) drives more like a rented Impala than "the ultimate driving machine.". Other tban the interior space, it's vastly inferior to the 2004 Acura TL that I drove for the previous 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #37
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Except that the driving dynamics are nowhere comparable to an F30. Between the 1/4 second lag when starting out and the way the car "wallows" on the freeway, my 335xi GT (with MPPK) drives more like a rented Impala than "the ultimate driving machine.". Other tban the interior space, it's vastly inferior to the 2004 Acura TL that I drove for the previous 10 years.
Sorry you dont like your car - did you test drive it before buying? Also, could you elaborate on the 1/4 second lag - is that turbo lag or the ASS system?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #38
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
drives more like a rented Impala than "the ultimate driving machine."
Nothing drives like the F30 - having said that I don't feel any lag anywhere...

Quote:
it's vastly inferior to the 2004 Acura TL
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #39
mattu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Except that the driving dynamics are nowhere comparable to an F30. Between the 1/4 second lag when starting out and the way the car "wallows" on the freeway, my 335xi GT (with MPPK) drives more like a rented Impala than "the ultimate driving machine.".
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Nothing drives like the F30 - having said that I don't feel any lag anywhere...

The GT on the autobahn at 120 mph felt rock solid; no "wallows" that I noticed. I must disagree that it doesn't drive similar to a F30 xDrive...Sure it feels heavier with more roll in the corners (it sits higher so that's expected), but I think it is comparable. Now RWD F30 w/ sport suspension...OK the xDrive GT isn't comparable to that. I admit getting the adaptive suspension was a mistake though...I think it's worse than the stock setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #40
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've been driving my Audi S5 more often recently before I put it away, so to speak, for the winter. The one thing I've noticed going back and forth between the Audi and the BMW is the steering feel of the BMW, the Audi is much better. The GT, on the other hand, is really light, almost '70s Buick light! Definitely noticeable.

However, I haven't noticed a lag time or wallowing and I, too, have the MPPK installed. Living in SE Ohio, we have some really nice winding country roads and the GT takes them almost as good if not as good as the Audi S5.

I'm overall very pleased with my purchase. The GT rides very well, handles well, and is fun to drive. It also meets my space requirements.

However, with that being said, some of the BMW's idiosyncrasies are beginning to wear on me. Starting the car is like starting an airplane with all of the buttons that have to be pushed. For example: Start, turn off AC, open outside mirrors (which should automatically open when you put the car in "Drive"), and drop transmission to "Comfort-Pro" (something I usually do but doesn't have to be done). These are the steps I basically do every time I start the car. I know I can have the dealer code the AC off feature and might see about having that done. With the Audi, I start the car, put it in drive and go. If the AC was off when I turned off the Audi, it remains off when I start it next time. The Audi remains in the Drive Mode I set it to in the MMI. BMW could learn a thing or two from Audi how to set up the iDrive.

Oh, one other idiosyncracy, why on earth does BMW have a semi-automatic AC?! Why do I have to adjust the fan? All I should have to do is adjust the temperature and the system does the rest. But, no, I have to set the temperature and the fan speed! (If you haven't noticed, the GT is my first BMW )

OK, enough bitching.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #41
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge
I've been driving my Audi S5 more often recently before I put it away, so to speak, for the winter. The one thing I've noticed going back and forth between the Audi and the BMW is the steering feel of the BMW, the Audi is much better. The GT, on the other hand, is really light, almost '70s Buick light! Definitely noticeable.

However, I haven't noticed a lag time or wallowing and I, too, have the MPPK installed. Living in SE Ohio, we have some really nice winding country roads and the GT takes them almost as good if not as good as the Audi S5.

I'm overall very pleased with my purchase. The GT rides very well, handles well, and is fun to drive. It also meets my space requirements.

However, with that being said, some of the BMW's idiosyncrasies are beginning to wear on me. Starting the car is like starting an airplane with all of the buttons that have to be pushed. For example: Start, turn off AC, open outside mirrors (which should automatically open when you put the car in "Drive"), and drop transmission to "Comfort-Pro" (something I usually do but doesn't have to be done). These are the steps I basically do every time I start the car. I know I can have the dealer code the AC off feature and might see about having that done. With the Audi, I start the car, put it in drive and go. If the AC was off when I turned off the Audi, it remains off when I start it next time. The Audi remains in the Drive Mode I set it to in the MMI. BMW could learn a thing or two from Audi how to set up the iDrive.

Oh, one other idiosyncracy, why on earth does BMW have a semi-automatic AC?! Why do I have to adjust the fan? All I should have to do is adjust the temperature and the system does the rest. But, no, I have to set the temperature and the fan speed! (If you haven't noticed, the GT is my first BMW )

OK, enough bitching.
In my E90, the fan speed adjusts automatically depending on the temperature I set with the knob. There is of course a separate button to adjust fan speed, but I don't have to adjust it too often. Did this change with the F generation cars?

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #42
mattu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
In my E90, the fan speed adjusts automatically depending on the temperature I set with the knob. There is of course a separate button to adjust fan speed, but I don't have to adjust it too often. Did this change with the F generation cars?
No, there is automatic mode in the F30...It's a round button that reads "AUTO" inset in the left temperature dial. In the manual, there is a section about controlling how fast the cabin air is circulated, but it's still part of the automated climate control. Maybe he's talking about the vent temperature setting at the top of the dash? BMW's have had that radial temperature switch at least since the E46...my ZHP had it. I could see how someone new to the brand would find that annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #43
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattu
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
No, there is automatic mode in the F30...It's a round button that reads "AUTO" inset in the left temperature dial. In the manual, there is a section about controlling how fast the cabin air is circulated, but it's still part of the automated climate control. Maybe he's talking about the vent temperature setting at the top of the dash? BMW's have had that radial temperature switch at least since the E46...my ZHP had it. I could see how someone new to the brand would find that annoying.
The E90 has an 'Auto' button as well. But depending on the internal temp of the car, the fan blows faster or slower depending on what temp I dial in. If I hop in on a summer day and start the car with the Auto button pushed, the fans run very fast, but as the temp levels out, they slow down. Maybe you're right, and he was referring to the dial built into the dash near the vent? The auto climate control works pretty well for me, but I agree, it could be a lot simpler.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #44
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, looks like I'm going to have to check out the fan speed complaint. I was positive the fan did not change speeds automatically by adjusting the temperature. Hopefully I am wrong (wouldn't be the first time and probably won't be the last time).

I have to go out today to see if I can find a paintless dent repair in my area, someone banged my rear passenger door on Saturday (not a happy camper right now ). I'll do some testing of the auto temperature control while I'm out.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0