F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Window Tinting - How to choose brand and color?
ARMA SPEED

04-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Window Tinting - How to choose brand and color?

We are heading into the hot months of the year and after a mild winter, many are preparing for a possible Bermuda Summer (hotter than normal) which seems common during the El Nino conditions. To be proactive (my argument) I am considering window tinting and have the typical window tinting questions. I am from Michigan and they prohibit applications with a solar reflectivity greater than 35% . So working within the legal limits, the questions I am seeking answers to are:
  1. What brand is the best tint & why? 3M, Huber Optik, ???Or what brand to stay away from!
  2. What color/tint would best for Black Sapphire vehicle? (I know this may be subjective so it may also be phrased as what color/tint to stay away from)
  3. I have seen pre-cut and hand-cut, which is better and why?
  4. What does one look for when choosing an installer? It appears this can be as important as the tint itself, looking for tips in seeking a quality installer
  5. Does any specific tint or tint color affect OEM settings? Such as Climate Control or lighting (like turning on the headlights during the day?)
  6. Any other hints for those of us who are seeking a "Tinting for Dummies" guide

Any and all comments are appreciated!

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
I know people are happy with SunTek, but I'm no tint expert, just do some research on the film the installer you find uses. The installer is much more important than the film in my opinion. Some installers can hand cut the tint incredibly perfectly, and do an amazing job, some people can't. There are some people who say the dot matrix's on BMW windows cant be tinted right, but a good installer can do it, catch my drift here yet? It's all about the installer. Find someone trusted, good reviews, etc. Ask them these questions, they should be able to provide you with great answers. Last but not least, don't go somewhere and get a $125 tint special, I guarantee it won't be what you want long term.
      04-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

I just had my F32 tinted this past Fri with Llumar CTX which will greatly reduce the heat transfer through the windows. It was tinted by Advanced Glass Tinting in VA Beach. It cost a bit more (about $290) but it looks really good and also has a lifetime warranty.

I went with the legal limits (50 front windows and 35 for the rear corner-type windows and back window). It's still in the curing phase and all the tiny bubbles should be gone within a couple days. Great installer who knows his job well. He definitely understood how the BMW window goes down a little bit when you open the door so he "tricked" the door with it open so the window was all the way up.

It has a slight blue hue to it, but looks good with the Estoril Blue paint.
Appreciate 0