F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tires need replacing 13' F30 Msport Sapphire Black
Extreme Powerhouse

04-10-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
G-Money1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Msport

Tires need replacing 13' F30 Msport Sapphire Black

Hey guys need some advice. I need to replace my tires on my F30 Msport Sapphire Black. I have an all stock setup but since its gonna cost me $2,000 to get the same Conti Staggered replacements from the dealer... I wanted to see what else I can get for around that same amount. Its my everyday commuting car in LA just want to see what you guys recommend for options at that price range. I always enjoy reading these forums, lots of great info! Thanks!

-G.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 12:36 AM   #2
danieliskander
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB2 328i MSport

It depends. Do you want run flats or not? I would recommend non run flats as they are a lot cheaper. For example, the Conti run flats cost about $1200-1300 from TireRack, while non run flat Michelin Pilot Super Sports (I think it is safe to say they are considered the best tire at the moment) are somewhere in the $700-900 range. You can also pick them up at Costco and I think their installation is under $100. If your worried about going flat you can pick up BMWs air compressor which is also under $100. They have it in all their M cars because they all run Pilot Super Sports. BTW the Michelin example is one of the most expensive non run flat tires as they are considered the best, you can find a lot of even cheaper alternatives.

Note: I still have my original conti run flats as I have not needed to exchange them yet. So I am giving you information based on my research and not what I've actually done. BTW how long did your tires last? Just curious so I have an estimate on how long mine will last.

Hope this was helpful!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 01:31 AM   #3
G-Money1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Msport

The Michelins sound great! I don't really need runflats. Better tires and cheaper sounds like a no brainer. What about Alignment? Is Costco as reliable as a BMW dealer? My original Conti tires have lasted i'd say about 33k miles mainly freeway and side street driving in LA.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:33 AM   #4
danieliskander
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB2 328i MSport

Just tried to search this up and I figured out that they do not offer an alignment, just installation. However replacing tires should not effect your alignment. If you still want one just incase, I'm sure you can ask BMW or any other wheel/race shop. Shouldn't be too expensive, probably under $100. I would do more research first if I was you, I haven't had to o any of this myself yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieliskander View Post
Just tried to search this up and I figured out that they do not offer an alignment, just installation. However replacing tires should not effect your alignment. If you still want one just incase, I'm sure you can ask BMW or any other wheel/race shop. Shouldn't be too expensive, probably under $100. I would do more research first if I was you, I haven't had to o any of this myself yet.
Costco may not do an installation if your vehicle came with RFTs and you want non-RFTs now.

Also, count on the alignment easily exceed $100. The prep for it is a lot more labor intensive than a standard alignment.

I did a writeup here: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...37&postcount=9
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Please do not go through the dealer. I recommend calling Temple City Auto Repair - lowest prices installed. Have your tire sizes ready when calling
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
Please do not go through the dealer. I recommend calling Temple City Auto Repair - lowest prices installed. Have your tire sizes ready when calling
I bought my tires via TireRack and had my dealer install them.

$40 per tire to mount/road force balance for a total of $160. Zero scratches or tool marks on the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816
Quote:
I bought my tires via TireRack and had my dealer install them.

$40 per tire to mount/road force balance for a total of $160. Zero scratches or tool marks on the wheels.
$40 is seriously double the industry standard.. In any case, glad you got them mounted.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
$40 is seriously double the industry standard.. In any case, glad you got them mounted.
I haven't seen anything under $25 per tire in MD or on TireRack's recommended installers that uses an automatic tire changer (ie. http://www.hunter.com/tire-changers/revolution) and does a road force balance.

You can take a look for yourself: http://www.tirerack.com/content/tire...tallation.html Zip code: 21237.

I've been to places that did a road force balance but didn't bother to mention that their tire changing equipment + operator skill needs serious work. I've received wheels back with a lot of tool marks. These places charged $20-30.

I'm fine with paying the dealer premium in this case.
Appreciate 0