F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 335i M Performance Power Kit INSTALLED (Review)
proTUNING Freaks

05-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #837
irishbrahmin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocso1606 View Post
Tonights news for me....is.... they need the car 2 more days. Im also a new dme and 6mt.
Could I ask what estimate did your SA give you (parts + labor)?
      05-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #838
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbrahmin View Post
Could I ask what estimate did your SA give you (parts + labor)?
1100 and 2hrs
      05-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #839
NewBM
'13 335i AT Msport PPK. '06 911S 6MT sadly gone
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
"WOW" $3375 AUD. BMW AUSTRALIA what a disgrace you are.
Hi, I'm new here. Quote I got was $4700+, which include Stage 2 (intercooler/fan/intake), looks like yours gonna be a "Bargain"!! pls reply my pm, thx.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #840
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
Wow thats a lot of money down under!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #841
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBM View Post
Hi, I'm new here. Quote I got was $4700+, which include Stage 2 (intercooler/fan/intake), looks like yours gonna be a "Bargain"!! pls reply my pm, thx.
Just curious, but what's the current exchange rate between USD and Australian currency?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #842
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Initial Thoughts on MPPK + MPE + 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
Just got off the phone with my SA...My car is finally finished! No CEL, no more faults, MPPK is good to go and all is well....picking it up around 5:30-6ish tonight. The weather is PERFECT today...I was planning to take my bike out on the twisties in the hills of northern Kentucky after work....looks like I'll be taking the F30 instead! I'll post feedback this evening, seems to be a distinct lack of MPPK reports with the 6MT.
I tried to post a few thoughts last night, but I was having trouble accessing the forum, so I gave up. Anyway, I picked the car up Tuesday night around 5:30pm. No charge for installation, as promised. (for those who don't know from previous posts, my DME install was a real mess, I dropped off on 4/15 and picked up on 4/30). Just a few details, I have 9000+ miles on the car, it's a 6MT, and I've had the M Performance exhaust on the car for 8000+ miles.

-My initial impression when I drove off the lot: "meh....feels the same...maybe even slower than I remembered pre-MPPK" Keep in mind I hadn't driven the car for 15 days...I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get a chance to do a same day back to back comparison...oh well. The first mile or two, I was thoroughly disappointed and even wondered "was the software update even completed? Is the car exactly the same?" This was rush hour, and traffic sucked, so I wasn't getting many chances to play around and test it out as I made my way from the dealership to the highway. Also keep in mind, while the car has been stuck in the shop for 15 days, I have been riding my motorcycle (2013 Triumph Daytona 675R) constantly...so I'm a bit desensitized to speed and rapid acceleration...

-Once I got on the highway and the traffic opened up, I was able to play around a bit more, it definitely pulls harder when you are at highway speeds...35mph-90mph full throttle there is a very noticeable difference.

-As I approached downtown (where I live) I took a slightly different route so I could drive through a short, curved, one lane tunnel as you exit I-71 into downtown...I slowed down as I approached the tunnel, dropped into 2nd gear and mashed the throttle...and it was f-ing awesome. The sound and the acceleration were very impressive...this is where I started to appreciate the differences. I drove around downtown for awhile testing out the "real world" light to light driving, with the windows down...you can really hear the exhaust and the intake noises reflecting off of all the buildings downtown, the overrun burble is more pronounced in Sport/Sport+, and of course the high-pitched "pshh" of the recirculating valve is more pronounced, but what I really noticed was a more intense "growl" from exhaust and intake when mashing the throttle in first and second gear between 2500-4500 RPM...it sounds pretty mean and accelerates very nicely. If the car is at a standstill, in neutral, and rev the engine, the exhaust burbles/pops are intense...you can sort of feel it shake the car a bit as the engine roughly settles into idle dropping from 2000rpm down to idle. (is that normal?)

-As much as I was enjoying the F30 with the MPPK, the weather was just too nice to be in a car, so I went home and changed into my riding gear and took my bike out until it got dark.

-I went back out again in the F30 after dark with empty roads and experimented a bit more, I tried Comfort mode for about 1 minute, but didn't notice any difference, but I have very little to compare it to because I never used Comfort previous to the MPPK (seriously, NEVER...no more than 1/4-1/2 mile in 9000+ miles).

-This morning's commute was more of the same...in the city it sounds great, and accelerates from light to light very nicely. The highway passing ability feels noticeably stronger...it’s subtle, but noticeable.

-Overall, I am very happy with the MPPK, but not thrilled. I think maybe I was expecting a somewhat more dramatic change in performance...on top of the fact that after 15 days of waiting it just turned into a real headache...and I just wasn’t excited any more. However, I am more satisfied with the M Performance Exhaust now, I don’t think I will be swapping it out for the Remus or Eisenmann any time soon. I still have my Blizzak winter tires on the car, and I'm sure that is coloring my experience…especially now that it’s warmer outside and the soft rubber spins up and loses grip so easily…I will get my summer tires back on this week and do some more experimenting and provide another update after I get more wheel time.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #843
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Just curious, but what's the current exchange rate between USD and Australian currency?
It's basically at par

1.00 AUD = 1.02849 USD

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/...rom=AUD&To=USD

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #844
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
I tried to post a few thoughts last night, but I was having trouble accessing the forum, so I gave up. Anyway, I picked the car up Tuesday night around 5:30pm. No charge for installation, as promised. (for those who don't know from previous posts, my DME install was a real mess, I dropped off on 4/15 and picked up on 4/30). Just a few details, I have 9000+ miles on the car, it's a 6MT, and I've had the M Performance exhaust on the car for 8000+ miles.

-My initial impression when I drove off the lot: "meh....feels the same...maybe even slower than I remembered pre-MPPK" Keep in mind I hadn't driven the car for 15 days...I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get a chance to do a same day back to back comparison...oh well. The first mile or two, I was thoroughly disappointed and even wondered "was the software update even completed? Is the car exactly the same?" This was rush hour, and traffic sucked, so I wasn't getting many chances to play around and test it out as I made my way from the dealership to the highway. Also keep in mind, while the car has been stuck in the shop for 15 days, I have been riding my motorcycle (2013 Triumph Daytona 675R) constantly...so I'm a bit desensitized to speed and rapid acceleration...

-Once I got on the highway and the traffic opened up, I was able to play around a bit more, it definitely pulls harder when you are at highway speeds...35mph-90mph full throttle there is a very noticeable difference.

-As I approached downtown (where I live) I took a slightly different route so I could drive through a short, curved, one lane tunnel as you exit I-71 into downtown...I slowed down as I approached the tunnel, dropped into 2nd gear and mashed the throttle...and it was f-ing awesome. The sound and the acceleration were very impressive...this is where I started to appreciate the differences. I drove around downtown for awhile testing out the "real world" light to light driving, with the windows down...you can really hear the exhaust and the intake noises reflecting off of all the buildings downtown, the overrun burble is more pronounced in Sport/Sport+, and of course the high-pitched "pshh" of the recirculating valve is more pronounced, but what I really noticed was a more intense "growl" from exhaust and intake when mashing the throttle in first and second gear between 2500-4500 RPM...it sounds pretty mean and accelerates very nicely. If the car is at a standstill, in neutral, and rev the engine, the exhaust burbles/pops are intense...you can sort of feel it shake the car a bit as the engine roughly settles into idle dropping from 2000rpm down to idle. (is that normal?)

-As much as I was enjoying the F30 with the MPPK, the weather was just too nice to be in a car, so I went home and changed into my riding gear and took my bike out until it got dark.

-I went back out again in the F30 after dark with empty roads and experimented a bit more, I tried Comfort mode for about 1 minute, but didn't notice any difference, but I have very little to compare it to because I never used Comfort previous to the MPPK (seriously, NEVER...no more than 1/4-1/2 mile in 9000+ miles).

-This morning's commute was more of the same...in the city it sounds great, and accelerates from light to light very nicely. The highway passing ability feels noticeably stronger...it’s subtle, but noticeable.

-Overall, I am very happy with the MPPK, but not thrilled. I think maybe I was expecting a somewhat more dramatic change in performance...on top of the fact that after 15 days of waiting it just turned into a real headache...and I just wasn’t excited any more. However, I am more satisfied with the M Performance Exhaust now, I don’t think I will be swapping it out for the Remus or Eisenmann any time soon. I still have my Blizzak winter tires on the car, and I'm sure that is coloring my experience…especially now that it’s warmer outside and the soft rubber spins up and loses grip so easily…I will get my summer tires back on this week and do some more experimenting and provide another update after I get more wheel time.
If you read my first review in the first post in this thread, then the one from about 250 miles later you'll notice my mood is a lot like yours. It gets better with more drive cycles and obviously miles....and congrats! from a fellow MT, and (motorcycle rider as well). You'll be able to get the f30 into tight "motorcycle pockets" on the highway now.

Check your sport displays when you get a free moment, glad another 6mt I can compare it with. My HP peaks at 320 but torque flattens out at 300, and shop foreman at dealer and I took a long drive yesterday and he's contacting BMW and inquiring about calibration issues with PPK and 6mts.

Last edited by Dinh335; 05-01-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #845
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
Thanks for the update. I havent heard from service yet today, im scared to call. LOL. Hoping there is a chance I can get the car today, but who knows, atleast we have a loaner.
      05-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #846
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:

Glad to hear that you finally got your car back man!

The more miles you put on the car, the stronger it will feel. There definitely is an adaptation period. The more aggressively you drive, the better the adaptation process will go.

Do a few more 50-75 runs if you get the chance. Your M-PPK-tuned 335i should be nearly a half-second quicker than stock (a pretty dramatic improvement).

Congrats!
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #847
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

It's Done!! Going To Pick It Up Now!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #848
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Glad to hear that you finally got your car back man!

The more miles you put on the car, the stronger it will feel. There definitely is an adaptation period. The more aggressively you drive, the better the adaptation process will go.

Do a few more 50-75 runs if you get the chance. Your M-PPK-tuned 335i should be nearly a half-second quicker than stock (a pretty dramatic improvement).

Congrats!
Did you go to a track or have a Vbox?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #849
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
It's Done!! Going To Pick It Up Now!!
Oh well isnt that great, just great. haha. Cool, let us know what you think.
      05-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #850
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Did you go to a track or have a Vbox?
That information is straight from BMW. In all likelihood, it's a conservative estimate.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #851
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
That information is straight from BMW. In all likelihood, it's a conservative estimate.
Do you have a link? I am looking for some real world data. I have a couple of friends looking at the PPK and I am trying to show them the difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #852
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

So I picked it up from the dealership, they said the install was done flawlessly overnight. They said BMW finally is learning how to program these things quickly. The shop foreman said the actual programming by BMW only took 0.5 hrs! He also said that the actual DME installation took 1.5 hrs. I ended up paying 288 with 10% BMW CCA discount. It was in the shop for a total of 3 working days. They didn't put the stickers on because he thought it'd be more of a sleeper car without them. They returned all the other parts to me.

So anyways, I drove it back home 25 miles along Pacific Coast Highway. The first thing I noticed off the bat was the steering in comfort mode. I do 90% of my driving in comfort and it was pretty loose, they definitely stiffened it up, although not as much as sport mode which is perfect for me. I'm liking it now, just right in my opinion because I didn't like how stiff sport mode was in parking lots but enjoyed it on the freeway.

Driving back I noticed that the Comfort mode throttle is more responsive now. This is also great as I've been wanting something in-between sport mode and comfort for most of my daily driving. Again, I don't believe it's as sensitive as sport but it's the perfect balance for me.

Once I got a good feel for my comfort mode which was all great, I decided to switch it to sport mode. I let all the cars go past me so I had about a 5 mile stretch all to myself. The temp. wasn't fully up to 250 degF but I decided to test the throttle anyways. The suspension stiffened up as normal, and the steering became even more weighted than comfort. I slowed to a stop, then smashed the pedal, the thing pulled way harder than I was expecting, with constant power all the way up to 80 mph (I didn't go any faster because the speed limit was 60 mph). The sport display pegged out at a hair shy of 320 hp and 350 torque. I'm very pleased to say the least.

Well, there is my account and I just got the thing. I'm sure it'll get even better with time. I can't really noticed the burble yet though.

P.S. I also noticed that when I picked it up the exhaust note is louder and the exhaust switching valve opened very early while just idling. The recirculating valve is so loud now that it's on the verge of annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #853
FotiosF90M5
///M Specialist South Shore BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp BHG/Silverstone

Quote:

I think it's so rediculous that the manuals are less powerful. You would think they would be the same especially since the manual is supposed to be the sportier one. My MPPK change was dramatic and felt faster than my bms tune. It should get a bit quicker as time goes.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #854
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a link? I am looking for some real world data. I have a couple of friends looking at the PPK and I am trying to show them the difference.
See the information below which is in bold, italicized, and underlined.

Or, see this link at post #11:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Yesterday, we brought you news of the availability of the F30 335i M Performance Power Kit (PPK) [full details].

The PPK increases the 335i's horsepower from 300 to 320hp (official factory quoted figures) on all models. Automatic transmission models will experience a +32 lb-ft peak torque increase (to 332 lb-ft), while manual transmission-equipped models benefit from a +17 lb-ft peak torque increase (to 317 lb-ft). 0-60mph acceleration is improved 0.2 seconds compared to standard 335i models, while 50-75mph times drop by a full half-second.

Well, these figures are conservative, as they often are from BMW. The following video shows the E90 335i N55 PPK (also factory quoted at 320hp 332 lb-ft) producing 336 bhp / 377 lb-ft torque on the dyno (performed by Dinan and at a 15% drivetrain loss).

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #855
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
So I picked it up from the dealership, they said the install was done flawlessly overnight. They said BMW finally is learning how to program these things quickly. The shop foreman said the actual programming by BMW only took 0.5 hrs! He also said that the actual DME installation took 1.5 hrs. I ended up paying 288 with 10% BMW CCA discount. It was in the shop for a total of 3 working days. They didn't put the stickers on because he thought it'd be more of a sleeper car without them. They returned all the other parts to me.

So anyways, I drove it back home 25 miles along Pacific Coast Highway. The first thing I noticed off the bat was the steering in comfort mode. I do 90% of my driving in comfort and it was pretty loose, they definitely stiffened it up, although not as much as sport mode which is perfect for me. I'm liking it now, just right in my opinion because I didn't like how stiff sport mode was in parking lots but enjoyed it on the freeway.

Driving back I noticed that the Comfort mode throttle is more responsive now. This is also great as I've been wanting something in-between sport mode and comfort for most of my daily driving. Again, I don't believe it's as sensitive as sport but it's the perfect balance for me.

Once I got a good feel for my comfort mode which was all great, I decided to switch it to sport mode. I let all the cars go past me so I had about a 5 mile stretch all to myself. The temp. wasn't fully up to 250 degF but I decided to test the throttle anyways. The suspension stiffened up as normal, and the steering became even more weighted than comfort. I slowed to a stop, then smashed the pedal, the thing pulled way harder than I was expecting, with constant power all the way up to 80 mph (I didn't go any faster because the speed limit was 60 mph). The sport display pegged out at a hair shy of 320 hp and 350 torque. I'm very pleased to say the least.

Well, there is my account and I just got the thing. I'm sure it'll get even better with time. I can't really noticed the burble yet though.

P.S. I also noticed that when I picked it up the exhaust note is louder and the exhaust switching valve opened very early while just idling. The recirculating valve is so loud now that it's on the verge of annoying.
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts! Congratulations on the tune! Enjoy my friend.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #856
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750360
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #857
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts! Congratulations on the tune! Enjoy my friend.
Thanks!

I also forgot to mention that the ASS was still programmed as remember last and the remotes for my gate and garage still worked!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #858
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
See the information below which is in bold, italicized, and underlined.

Or, see this link at post #11:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820502
Thanks!
Appreciate 0