F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > What's the best protine power out there?
proTUNING Freaks

11-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
bethebestj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06, 330xi

What's the best protine power out there?

I'm new to here, just need some post to be able to PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
thatsosm
Miracle Whip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 AW335i

are you looking for a weight gainer or post workout. I use Gold Standard 100% whey for post workout and used True-Mass for weight gainer
      11-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
The term "best" is very subjective when talking protein or any other supplement for that matter.

When you say "best" are you referring to most protein per serving, calories per serving, sugar per serving, other ingredients in the protein, I could go on and on.

I will give you my recommendations based on what I know.

I have used ON (optimum nutrition) for years and have received, what I would call "decent" gains from it, and I say decent because I also take other supps along with the protein, and also ingest loads of proteins from my daily meals, therefore not REALLY knowing the full results from the protein powder itself directly.

I would recommend it as a good protein as the R&D behind it goes back for years and it has seemed to change with time, meaning they havent just derived a powder and stuck to it, they have revised their ingredients based on results.

I do not recommend Muscle Milk, although prolly the best tasting protein on the market. It carries, or used to I should say, I havent looked into it for quite a while, but it used to have loads of sugar and calories in it.

Isopure is another GREAT protein formula!

You really need to figure out what it is you want to gain from taking it and just research each product. It has taken me years to compile my archive of information pertaining to the said topics.

Two questions to ask yourself.
Are you looking to bulk up (and cut down fatty tissues later) or are you looking to build lean muscle mass, the answer to this will tell you a lot about which formula to take.
      11-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
What's a protine power?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
bmwmike335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4

Gold Standard seems to be a very favorable and well liked product.. its huge among the entire bodybuilding.com forum.

they have awesome deals you can get 1 pound to try it out for only 11 bucks.. they go all the way up to 10 pound tubs.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
2013 535i (RIP), 2014 535i (RIP)
2013 e92 M3 interlagos blue
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

+1 on Gold Standard. Chocolate flavor tastes delicious when mixed with low fat milk.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
SaviorSelf
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
What's a protine power?
Protein...OP probably should focus on his brain muscle before his biceps
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geby-E90 View Post
Protein...OP probably should focus on his brain muscle before his biceps
uuh.. ok...

i use jay robbs. its good shit and wholefoods sells it
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
Two questions to ask yourself.
Are you looking to bulk up (and cut down fatty tissues later) or are you looking to build lean muscle mass, the answer to this will tell you a lot about which formula to take.
It's good that I saw this post of yours man.

I recently just started working out (Oct '10). I currently weigh 155 lbs with 19% bodyfat (I have a small gut due to my beer drinking days). Anyway, my goal is to build lean muscle mass and gain about 8-10 lbs of muscle with about 11-12% bodyfat by August of next year. I bought true mass for my weight gainer and gold standard 100% whey protein for my post workout. I also have been eating healthy. No FRIED food, no fast-food (McDonalds, KFC), and I also cut down my sugar and salt intake. My first question: Do I need to bulk up first? Or am I on the correct path since I am now trying to build lean muscle mass?

I have been working out the big three's (Back, shoulders, and chest) for 4 days a week, and do a cardio exercise once a week. Within that whole week of working out (including the cardio day), I squeeze in 2 days of rest. Recently, I read an article in a workout magazine that stated that if your goal is bulk up or gain lean muscle mass, you should TOTALLY skip the cardio. Am I reading that right? So do I have change my workout routine to 5 days a week (no cadio at all), and squeezing 2 days of rest in between? My second question: Do I need to totally skip the cardio? Or do I need some sort of cardio at least once a week?

All comments welcome.

Thanks in advance guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #10
Emerson
:)
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 BSM 135i

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike335 View Post
Gold Standard seems to be a very favorable and well liked product.. its huge among the entire bodybuilding.com forum.

they have awesome deals you can get 1 pound to try it out for only 11 bucks.. they go all the way up to 10 pound tubs.

+1

ON whey is some good stuff
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #11
bmwmike335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4

u need cardio for general health purposes and over fat reduction.

basically, if u want abs .. u need to do cardio, not crunches
if you want ripped muscles.. u need cardio

if you wana be big n bulky you can do like 4 workout days and 2 light cardio days and rest for 1 day. i wouldn't recommend totally skipping cardio because if you do that for a while u turn into this big ol machine with muscles that are 1. no flexible, 2. poor stamina and 3. so big n heavy you can barely run a lap. it all depends on your priorities, but if your working out, seems like health is your priority and cardio is important to health. dont believe the "cardio makes you loose muscle" myth, its the biggest BS lie in the bodybuilding world. it only does when you stop lifting completely and run every single day.
2013 535i (RIP), 2014 535i (RIP)
2013 e92 M3 interlagos blue
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike335 View Post

I take all products that get huge followings at ******* with a grain of salt. ON and Controlled Labs seem to rule to the roost there.

I personally don't care for ON. Not that it's a bad protein, but just doesn't have that "amazing taste" everyone talks about. I get a strong chemical taste each time I've tried it.

Not to mention anytime someone brings up negatives about the largely supported companies on there they end up get deleted and closed.

I like Dymatize.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

Cheap protein would be ON Whey
I use Metabolic Drive (lo carb). Probably the best tasting protein out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
What's a protine power?
protein POWER!!

obviously off-topic, but reminded me of the video.
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Optimum Nutrition
100% Whey post workout
100% Cassein Before bed

And True Mass is a GREAT weight gainer....but it WILL give you a gut if your cardio isn't in line.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #16
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

ON Pro Complex during the day
Universal Torrent post-workout
ON Casein before bed
      11-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #17
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

fuck protein powder...

not sure your agenda but a PWO shake is much better then protein powder...torrent is best....after you workout and you body is just weak and spent you need a PWO (post workout) shake...that PWO shake should be 2:1 carb to protein ratio....your muscles with eat that shit up like a sponge...people think they should run for an hour or spend an hour lifting weights and walk out the gym with a 60gram muscle milk shake and they will turn into fucking arnold...not true homie...you need carbs after they gym more so then protein...

if you are just looking for a protein supplement throughout the day to keep your intake upwards of 150grams then so be it...i used isopure...they seem to be the best...but then again your body can only utilize a certain amount of protein per meal...if you take 3 mega scoops of your protein with mike and it amounts to 90 grams of protein, i think you are wasting alot of protein...diff bodies are different but your are much better served by getting protein by whole foods then shakes....

there are 2 types of protein...whey and casein...casein is slower digesting, usually found in eggs whites and dairy products...most protein junkies will take a casein shake before bed to get protein throughout the night...my bedtime snack used to be a bowl of cottage cheese and jelly haha...

whey protein is fast absorbing and will best be served after a workout or before a workout....if you really want to gulp something down after you rack your weights id suggest a PWO like torrent anyday then just mixing a shitload of Whey Protetin anyday...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #18
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
ON Pro Complex during the day
Universal Torrent post-workout
ON Casein before bed
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #19
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rookie View Post
fuck protein powder...

not sure your agenda but a PWO shake is much better then protein powder...torrent is best....after you workout and you body is just weak and spent you need a PWO (post workout) shake...that PWO shake should be 2:1 carb to protein ratio....your muscles with eat that shit up like a sponge...people think they should run for an hour or spend an hour lifting weights and walk out the gym with a 60gram muscle milk shake and they will turn into fucking arnold...not true homie...you need carbs after they gym more so then protein...

if you are just looking for a protein supplement throughout the day to keep your intake upwards of 150grams then so be it...i used isopure...they seem to be the best...but then again your body can only utilize a certain amount of protein per meal...if you take 3 mega scoops of your protein with mike and it amounts to 90 grams of protein, i think you are wasting alot of protein...diff bodies are different but your are much better served by getting protein by whole foods then shakes....

there are 2 types of protein...whey and casein...casein is slower digesting, usually found in eggs whites and dairy products...most protein junkies will take a casein shake before bed to get protein throughout the night...my bedtime snack used to be a bowl of cottage cheese and jelly haha...

whey protein is fast absorbing and will best be served after a workout or before a workout....if you really want to gulp something down after you rack your weights id suggest a PWO like torrent anyday then just mixing a shitload of Whey Protetin anyday...
So did you make the switch from cottage cheese to casein? Have you seen any benefits from it?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rookie View Post
fuck protein powder...

T H I S. I've had much better results after following this than when I used to down as much protein as possible after my workout. Torrent tastes amazing too - I've got the green apple

Cottage cheese is fantastic as well. I usually eat that before bed but I absolutely hate the taste of it so sometimes I'll just drink a casein shake
      11-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #21
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
So did you make the switch from cottage cheese to casein? Have you seen any benefits from it?
working out isnt about instant gratification. its more of a lifestyle to adapt. you wont see benefits immediately but you will def notice muscle growth if your diet is right. if you spent 4 months training hard and then just stopped hitting the weights, but remained on the same high protein diet, your muscles will slowly dissolve back to the pre workout size. i stress slowly because as long as you feed your body protein then your muscles will not loss mass. its is very hard to gain mass and very hard to loose mass....thats why it might take some time in the gym to see results.....

hands down diet is key. you spend 1 hr in the gym but the rest of the day eating. i hate fuckers who would go to the bar and eat wings and beer after training...def defeats the purpose ya kno...

if you live in the northeast we have wawa and they have these little bullshit cottage cheese snacks with jelly on one side and cheese on the other side...has alot of sugar but def worth the taste...i dont think the taste is thatttt bad...just a couple spoonfuls before bed will make me happy...

cottage cheese is just a form of casein protein...so are egg whites...casein protein is the best before bed because the 8 hrs of sleep will deplete your intake...the slow digestion will help...

also, dude, sleeep!!! sleep is def crucial to muscle growth. take naps man ha...your muscles will grow in your sleep...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
T H I S. I've had much better results after following this than when I used to down as much protein as possible after my workout. Torrent tastes amazing too - I've got the green apple

Cottage cheese is fantastic as well. I usually eat that before bed but I absolutely hate the taste of it so sometimes I'll just drink a casein shake
haha yea man that greet stuff is amazing!!! i would take that to the gym with me and mix in the locker room...easy to mix...never clumped up or anything...would never use anything else!
Appreciate 0