F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Five Fingers Shoes
Extreme Powerhouse

12-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Five Fingers Shoes

Does anyone have these? I have read about 20 reviews and all are very positive.

I am a barefoot, whenever possible, kind of guy and they say these are as close as it get's. Great for running, gym and hiking etc.

A bit weird looking but I could care less.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/indexNA.htm
      12-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I kinda of have gone a little wild with these shoes.
First i bought the vff KSO'S they feel weird at first. In my opinion the one purpose these serve is to provide minimal protection. Their is no suppport, and def no luxury. It take some ease to run distance in them. On my first couple 2 mile runs, the pads of feet became sore. The only discomfort i felt was from ethier running on a rock(which you feel quite well) or my toes becoming fatigued. Of all the things to get fatigued, it was by toes. My stride change alot because i was afraid of striding out and hurting my foot. The ksos didn't hurt my ankles/knees/hips.
Next i bought the vff bikilas. These felt completely different, they had a little more support and traction. A key note for these the toes especially your big toe will feel more tight than with the ksos. Your toes and feet dn't become as fatigued as fast, and the extra padding on the sole provides more protection from rocks and other debris. i've been able to run greater distances with these.
Lastly, the Army has told me that i'm no long authorized to wear the vff shoes because of lack of support. In a complete bull shit double standard you can wear nike frees, which are the same concept of shoes. The shoes were banned because people don't like the way they look. I have by passed this dumb ass rule and have bought the Evo | Terra Plana.

My suggestion is to avoid the vff, and get the evo's. You will get all the benefits of the barefoot support without looking like a trendy douche bag... Just my two cents
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

my mom dad and brothers have those shoes and they love them!! my mom has back problems and she say that walking with those shoes is amazing
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The Treksport was the model I thought would suit me and actually last. Funny the Nike Free was mentioned. I have had a pair for years now and are the most comfortable shoes I have. The new Free is not the same as my old ones. Just chunk them in the wash and they look nearly new.

Which one is a douche choice?

These caught my eye and need to go to REI and try them on. One review strongly urged not ordering online for your first pair. Some models are much tighter on the toes etc..
Attached Images

12-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

the vff were never really made to help fix old people with hip/ankle/knee problems. They were meant to offer barefoot runners the minimal protection to actually run. they have become overly popular for people who really have no clue why they are wearing them, besides the fact that they look cool and they are trendy.

The vff work for runners by correcting their foot strike and causing you to land on the front part of your foot, making your feet and ankle stronger. The proven fact is, current running shoes just cushion your improper foot/heel strike. I fail to see how these would help a non runner other than placebo effect, unless they are walking miles everyday.

the vff are the douche bag choice, and yes i'm lumped into the category. If you actually want the barefoot experiance without wearing the same shoes as 50 yr old women with back pain buy the evo's.

sorry for the rant, but it bothers me that such a sport specific item as the vff have gone mainstream and are worn by people who don't run in them. I would venture to say more poser wear these than the actually athlete who is trying to improve himself.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

So what's your opinion on people who use them for gym exercising?
      12-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

they are serving no purpose while doing curls or bench press. I could see using them while conducting olympic lifts or cross fit(which is when i wear mine in the gym) I mean to each their own, genericly people will not reap the benefits, other than fittting in with the current trends.
I'm really not trying to be a dick. Do the research on the foot wear and its positives and negatives. From there form your own opinion on its benefits and its specific purpose. Than watch all the people using them for everything else.

Last edited by pwdrtoastman; 12-10-2010 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

They look smelly...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Good for squats
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
They look smelly...
OMG do they smell
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
san~man
Tired
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
Good for squats
That was actually what I was considering them for, and deadlifts.
      12-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One review was a from a hiker that also liked them in the gym.
He said while doing squats/Smith Machine/dead lifts etc, his feet felt really glued down if you will. His regular training shoes would slip at times and these don't.

Because of my shin splints I am no more of a runner than low miles on a good tread at the gym. I like to do old school routines I did waaaaay back in high school when I wrestled. We have to wear shoes and I hate wearing them when I/we do the routines. I can't grip near as well as when I am bare foot.

I also golf alot and hate every golf shoe ever made. The Adidas something or anothers I have now cost me 250 I think and are heavy as lead. I sneak them off but eventually a Marshall busts me and tells me to put them back on. These would pass and allow me to get my monkey toes more connected to the grass which is how I like it and play best.

I just need to move to Costa Rica where I would be accepted for who I am.
      12-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
san~man
Tired
Rep

^ ^
Thanks for the info. I would use them more for exercising than running, so that's good to know.
      12-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #14
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
I have them and use them all the time for jogging, treadmills, elliptical, etc. I love 'em. (As an aside: I have fallen arches, and have no issues with arch support while wearing these.)

(They're also comfy for long drives.)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

I wouldn't wear this in the gym, incase a weight rolled off and fall on ur feet...with regular shoes the force will be evenly distributed...with these shoes, it's gonna hit that once crucial toe and then ur fucked...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Have a pair of KSO treks under my tree. I'll tell you how much I love them later.
      12-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #17
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

recently got some vibrams. they aite. i can't really wear them out though. all my friends have made fun of me for wearing them. i don't really care what they think, but i wouldn't wear these out to dinner or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
I wouldn't wear this in the gym, incase a weight rolled off and fall on ur feet...with regular shoes the force will be evenly distributed...with these shoes, it's gonna hit that once crucial toe and then ur fucked...
be careful wearing these shoes while hiking too. one of my friends had a neighbor who swears by vibrams. he's an avid hiker but he broke his toe wearing these on a hike once. very little protection for your feet. and it freaking hurts when someone steps on your goes. you only have a bit of fabric on top of your feet for protection.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #18
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't doubt these are effective - but man they look so retarded. Excuse my language.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

hence my recommendation of the evo's
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #20
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Wow, you guys are a bunch of old ladies. Don't bother going to the gym, you might break a nail.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #21
EOE90
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
2006 3  [0.00]
i wouldnt wear those in my pool, check out the new nike air max 360s, great for runnin anywhere
      12-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #22
Chadd
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 335

They are gayer then a pocket full of rainbows.

My shoe of choice is the adidas barricade 6.0.
http://www.shopadidas.com/product/in...39&shopGroup=R
Appreciate 0