F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Healthy meal suggestions?
GetBMWParts

02-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #23
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Why? Meal timing has no relevance on body composition.
I eat several small meals throughout the day.. why.. because I am one that finds it easy to over and I find it prevents me from "binging" or just eating more then I want if I space them out every few hours. I'm never really "that hungry" so I can easily pass on any junk food or snacks throughout the day. That's the only reason I do it. I also find it easier to increase or decrease calories as needed when I eat this way.

So, from that standpoint - in that I would eat more calories then I need if I ate only 3 times a day - I eat 5 times a day.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #24
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
I eat several small meals throughout the day.. why.. because I am one that finds it easy to over and I find it prevents me from "binging" or just eating more then I want if I space them out every few hours. I'm never really "that hungry" so I can easily pass on any junk food or snacks throughout the day. That's the only reason I do it. I also find it easier to increase or decrease calories as needed when I eat this way.

So, from that standpoint - in that I would eat more calories then I need if I ate only 3 times a day - I eat 5 times a day.
And that is fine. I'm sorry if I was vague; it is not my objective to prove people wrong, just looking to educate.

To reiterate, my point of meal timing being irrelevant is to squash the idea of it lowering your metabolism, or preventing the body from consuming itself.

02-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

What do you guys think about sushi as a good "trimming down" food? Its my all time favorite and I can eat it anytime..

For lunch I will usually get a shrimp roll and a salmon and tuna roll..

Its hard to tell the calorie count on a roll..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #26
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post
What do you guys think about sushi as a good "trimming down" food? Its my all time favorite and I can eat it anytime..

Do you eat out a lot? Maybe pre-plan your meals for the week?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #27
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Once again, it's not about one meal, it's your total caloric intake on a daily basis. You can fit pizza, hamburgers, etc. into your daily requirements.

I stick to Sashimi when I have sushi FWIW.

I see where you're going with this though.

Try this for breakfast...

Breakfast:

English Muffin
Peanut Butter (2tbs)
Banana
= ~425 cals

The only way to be the most accurate with your daily caloric intake is to prepare the meals for yourself - not eating out and guessing.

Try to make all of your own meals for two weeks straight, no cheating.
      02-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #28
N2Nalgas
New 2 BMW World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe 6MT White\Red

I also have a desk job and what you guys are saying makes alot of sense.
Good thread.

My eating habits are not as nutritious as they should be but i do no exercise at all.
All i did one time is keep eating as i normally do and just add jogging and sprints to my week. After 2 weeks i noticed a noticle difference.

What im trying to get at is that maybe some folks just need to add some type of work out to their life and results will take shape. Obviously once you see the reults of just adding exercise then move on to eating healthy.

Just my opinion. This process worked for me. Now i eat healthy and am fit.
      02-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #29
N2Nalgas
New 2 BMW World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe 6MT White\Red

^^^ sorry for the errors using iphone, on train ride home.
      02-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #30
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmthree View Post
Do you eat out a lot? Maybe pre-plan your meals for the week?

Kind of the reason I made this thread, I always go out to get lunch. I was looking for some ideas of healthy but good tasting stuff to make at home.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #31
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
Once again, it's not about one meal, it's your total caloric intake on a daily basis. You can fit pizza, hamburgers, etc. into your daily requirements.

I stick to Sashimi when I have sushi FWIW.

I see where you're going with this though.

Try this for breakfast...

Breakfast:

English Muffin
Peanut Butter (2tbs)
Banana
= ~425 cals

The only way to be the most accurate with your daily caloric intake is to prepare the meals for yourself - not eating out and guessing.

Try to make all of your own meals for two weeks straight, no cheating.
I know but giving my self a specific meal a day that is low on calories will help with the rest of the day is what I was getting at,

I bought some fruit for breakfast and some baby carrots with (low fat) dip for lunch. Still deciding on dinner.

I'm going to try as hard as I can not to eat out at all during the weeks anymore and maybe just once on the weekend.

I honestly rarely go over 2000 calories a day, I think my metabolism is just completely shot lol trying to figure out some kind of exercise I can do before I go to work, gf has an elliptical but I feel that does not give me a work out when I do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #32
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know but giving my self a specific meal a day that is low on calories will help with the rest of the day is what I was getting at,

I bought some fruit for breakfast and some baby carrots with (low fat) dip for lunch. Still deciding on dinner.

I'm going to try as hard as I can not to eat out at all during the weeks anymore and maybe just once on the weekend.

I honestly rarely go over 2000 calories a day, I think my metabolism is just completely shot lol trying to figure out some kind of exercise I can do before I go to work, gf has an elliptical but I feel that does not give me a work out when I do it.
I know it sounds like a weird concept, but you don't need a jump rope to get the cardio effects. Try just doing the motion...

I like to have a larger breakfast and eat lunch a bit early - this prevents a lunchtime binge.

Regarding dinner, try a serving of Fish, Steak ( I usually go Round Eye cooked rare), or Chicken. I'm not a fan of pork, just don't like the taste.

Add heaps of broccoli and maybe try making your own Sweet Potato Fries.

PS. Do not be scared of eating fat (Olive Oil, Cheese, etc.) Eating fat does not make you fat. A caloric surplus does.

You should be consuming .45g-1g of fat/lb each day.
      02-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #33
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
I know it sounds like a weird concept, but you don't need a jump rope to get the cardio effects. Try just doing the motion...
Seems a bit awkward but ill give it a try lol
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #34
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Here's a great insight on a healthy eating lifestyle: http://robbwolf.com/
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #35
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

You have to eat foods high in nutrients. A calorie is not a calorie. In other words you have to eat foods that are dense in essential nutrients; you can eat less of these foods than say some sort of empty calorie food.

Make a list of food that you like to eat that is high quality in the protein/carb/fat area and stick to those foods. Make sure you get your phytonutrients in as well. Fish/Chicken/leanbeef/broccoli/spinach/olive oil/almond butter/Ezekiel bread/bananas/brown rice/wild rice/

Also I would not recommend eating just 2 times per day as when you get hungry you tend to 'binge' which obviously is not a good thing. Drink plenty of water in between meals and keep some almonds in your desk drawer and an apple each day for small break food.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #36
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
My new job requires sitting at a desk all day and ive gotten a bit out of shape ( 5"10 170, minimal muscles lol ) and the excessive amounts of beer I consume probably doesn't help. Anyways without having much time to exercise do you guys have any suggestions for healthy meals or how I should be eating to shed a few pounds.

I usually will eat a bagel or a granola bar for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and pasta/rice/stirfry for dinner. I eat a lot of soy and not that much meat because my gf is a vegetarian. I also cut beer and am sticking with liquor for now.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Cut the pasta before bed. That will probably do it right there. Replace it with salmon and tuna recipes with some mixed veggies.
      02-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #37
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Why? Meal timing has no relevance on body composition.
With the exception of eating high-glycemic carbs (ie pasta) right before bed. That can screw up your fat loss and even muscle building.

http://www.illpumpyouup.com/articles...before-bed.htm
      02-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #38
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Eat whatever you want (within reason of course).

Just work harder than you eat and you'll be ok.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #39
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

portion control ftw
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #40
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Try reading stuff from Lyle McDonald.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #41
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

If you are stuck in an office during the day, some things I have done to keep myself from gaining weight is to try and take a walk everyday at lunch. Also, most restaurants will provide calories and other health information to their food either at the restaurant or on their web site. That way you can see what is available within walking distance of your work and plan a meal accordingly. Lots of place have healthier options if you look, there really is no reason to fall back on the old fast food wagon.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #42
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

Another thing I do is to take a multivitamin daily. I find that I am less likely to have cravings and/or binges when I am making sure I get all the vitamins I need.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #43
serge_chez
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i E90

Chicken Breast, brown rice, broccoli. And just remember, if it taste good, spit it out, it's not healthy.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #44
Evolved M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Like others have mentioned, start cooking your own food. I've always worked out and ate healthy most of the time. Surprisingly this year i got my gf into it to...which makes it a ton easier for me to eat healthy since i don't have to hear her complaining that we can never go out to eat lol lucky her, she has an amazing metabolism anyway.

But here are some things we cook, maybe some will catch your attention.

Tuna fish with a little light mayo and throw in some sugar free sweet relish and banana peppers, really good once you get sick of just plain tuna.

Turkey burger. Got mine from Costco and looks like this: 200 cal, 6g fat, 2g carb, 30g protein.

Salmon burger. Also from Costco if i recall correctly. 170 cal, 9g fat, 2g carb, 20g protien.

Put a piece of low fat or fat free american cheese and your good. No bun though. You can even get a little salad and bring the cooked cut up burgers to work, warm them up and throw em in your salad.

Also chicken sausage. The ones i get are about 130 cal, 7g fat, 2g carbs, 15g protien. Get some good tomato sauce, and cook the sausage with some peppers and onions in it. Or just eat them like that or whatever you wanna do with them.

Chicken. You can do countless things with chicken. Get some of the McCormick seasoning and just throw it on the grill or george foreman. Or cut it up and make a nice stir fry with some veggies, onions, garlic etc. (little soy sauce and some red pepper). And whatever else you can think of with chicken.

Scallops are banging. Just let them cook in some white wine with some onions and garlic, add little fish bouillon, and let them cook. Can even throw in some chicken in there too.

And for side dishes we get some veggies together and some sweet potatoes/yams.

These are just some examples of what we have recently cooked. In the passed it was hard eating healthy cause i was eating mostly eggs, salad, and tuna. Which after a while is not too appetizing. This time around me and my gf actually are cooking some good dishes and trying different things out. Most we just throw together ourselves and just modify as we need till it taste good and is healthy.

And also get some work outs in. I personally love working out. Its such a good stress reliever and i love pushing my body. I feel like crap if i don't work out. If you start eating healthy and getting some work outs in (both cardio and with weights), you'll start seeing some changes and that should motivate you to keep going. Good luck.