F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > How to get cut?
Studio RSR

03-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #23
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I never measured my bodyfat (I really should get a measurement) but I am definitely lean. I'll get a pic up in a bit and maybe you can judge.

Are cereals considered processed foods? I'm having some lightly sweet shredded wheat cereal with lowfat milk right now before I hit the sack. Is this a no-no?
      03-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #24
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Lost a lot of muscle since I broke my arm....I used to have a lot more mass but what are you gonna do.

Last edited by TiAg335i; 03-23-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #25
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

SFD, pump iron, bike, sprint and hard sex.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #26
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

U need to bulk not cut
      03-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #27
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
U need to bulk not cut
Can't lift too heavy, arm was broken recently. So bulking is outta the question. Don't want to risk breaking it again.
      03-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #28
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Well it's 110% your diet. I don't advise going lower than 145 because you're just going to be a twig with abz (chicks dont like that shit)

I know it's hard with your broken arm, but see what you can do...

If you really do want to lose weight, try eating ~200 cals below your maintenance and track your progress closely.

Also, this is a BMW forum; the exerpt below is taken from the Nutrition Section of BodyBuilding.com. A lot of the advice people give in this Health Section of OT is garbage.

Quote:
Estimating Requirements
The simplest method of estimating needs is to base your intake on a standard 'calories per unit of weight (usually kilograms)'. Typically:
- 26 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [12.0-14 kcal/pound]
- 31 to 37 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [14-16 kcal/ pound]
- 38 to 40 kcals/kg/day for those involved in vigorous activity and highly active jobs [16-18 kcal/ pound].
For those involved in HEAVY training (eg: athletes) - the demand is even greater:
- 41 to 50 kcals/kg/day for those involved in moderate to heavy training (for example: 15-20 hrs/ week training) [18.5-22 kcal/ pound]
- 50 or above kcals/kg/day for those involved in heavy to extreme training [> 22 kcal/ pound]

Then a number of more complex formula which calculate BMR can also be used - which is then multiplied by an 'activity variable' to give TEE.
To go over a few BMR calculations:
1/ Harris-Benedict formula:
Particularly inaccurate - It was derived from studies on LEAN, YOUNG, ACTIVE males in a COLD lab MANY YEARS AGO (1919) and is notorious for OVERESTIMATING calorie requirements, especially in those that are overweight. IF YOU WANT AN ACCURATE READING, DON'T USE IT!
For MEN: BMR = 66 + [13.7 x weight (kg)] + [5 x height (cm)] - [6.76 x age (years)]
For WOMEN: BMR = 655 + [9.6 x weight (kg)] + [1.8 x height (cm)] - [4.7 x age (years)]

2/Mifflin-St Jeor:
Developed in the 1990s. More accurate than the above as it is more realistic in todays lifestyle settings. It still does not take into consideration the difference in metabolic rate as a consequence of high BF%. Thus, once again, it also overestimates needs in highly obese individuals. So - be warned it can OVERESTIMATE your needs.
For MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
For WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

3/Katch-McArdle:
This is considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean and who have a good understanding of their bodyfat %.
BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)
Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

To convert to a TOTAL requirement you multiply the result by an Activity Factor. THIS IS BASED ON MORE THAN JUST YOUR TRAINING! Your job/ lifestyle is important in this!
1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)
(note: these activity factors generally include your LIFESTYLE (work) as well as your EXERCISE (gym/ sport) and a TEF of ~ 15% - which is an average mixed diet).

How Accurate are they?
Although these (sometimes) give rough ball-park figures, they are still 'guesstimations'. Most people still OVERESTIMATE activity, and UNDERESTIMATE bodyfat & end up eating TOO MUCH. So - use these as 'rough figures' and monitor your weight/ measurements for 2-4 weeks. IF your weight is stable/ measurements are stable, then you have likely found maintenance.

Using the Above to Recalculate Based on Goals
You will need to DECREASE or INCREASE intake based on your goals (eg: lose or gain mass).
And instead of using 'generic calorie amounts' (eg: 500 cals/ day), this is calculated on a % of your maintenance. Why? The effect of a given calorie amount on an individual is going to be markedly different based on their size/ total calorie intake. For example - subtracting 500 cals/ day from a 115# females 1500 total intake is 1/3rd of her total cals but 500 cals/ day for a 215# male on 3500 total intake is only 1/6th of their total... And it will result in markedly different effects on their energy levels and weight loss.

Generally:
- to ADD weight: ADD 10-20% calories to your total from above
- to LOSE weight: SUBTRACT 10-20% calories from your total from above
Then monitor your results and adjust as required.

NOTE: IF YOU ARE LESS THAN 18 YRS OF AGE - THESE FORMULA WILL NOT BE ACCURATE!
There is an energy cost associated with growth / inefficient movement / high surface area:mass ratio. Look HERE for alternatives.
As a teenager I would also STRONGLY suggest you don't obsess on calories and macros! Eat well, exercise regularly, and have fun while you can!

Macronutrient Needs
Once you work out how many CALORIES you need you need to work out how much of each macronutrient you should aim for. This is one of the areas that is MOST often confused - so to try to make it as simple as possible:
First rule: This should NOT be based on a generic RATIO of total calorie intake such as '30:40:30 or 40:40:20 Your body doesn't CARE what % intake you have for macronutrients. It works in terms of SUFFICIENT QUANTITY per LEAN MASS or TOTAL MASS. And calculations are generally as follows:

1. Protein: Most studies out suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS then the following protein intakes are sufficient:
STRENGTH training -> 1.2 to 1.6g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
ENDURANCE training -> 1.4 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)
BUT they also acknowledge that protein becomes MORE important in the context of LOWER calorie intakes, or LOWER carb intakes.

Anyway - you can see that the general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area (1g / pound) is nearly double this! And although the evidence out to suggest a NEED for this requirement is scarce - some general 'bodybuilding' guidelines would be based as follows:
If bodyfat UNKNOWN but AVERAGE = 1-1.25g per pound weight
If bodyfat KNOWN = 1.25-1.5g per LEAN weight

If you are VERY LEAN or if you are on a LOW TOTAL CALORIE INTAKE then protein becomes more important - so stick toward the higher levels:
Average bodyfat, lower calorie intake = 1.25-1.5 x pound total mass
Bodyfat known, lower calorie intake = 1.33-2 x pounds lean mass

If you are VERY OVERWEIGHT, VERY INACTIVE, and NOT on a lower calorie diet then you should stick closer to, or decrease slightly BELOW the above levels:
protein = something around the 1 x total weight (down to 1 x LEAN MASS).

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation.

General guides:
Average or lean: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.45 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.45 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.35g/ pound.
Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

3. Carbs: VERY important for athletes, HIGHLY ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS - Carbs help with workout intensity, health, and satiety (and sanity). But there are no specific 'requirements' for your body. Carbs are basically used by most as 'the extra stuff'.
If you are an athlete - I would actually suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for these:
moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
highly active: 6.5 - 9 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)

But for 'general folk' to calculate your carbs you just calculate it from the calories left over from fats/ protein:
carb calories = Total calorie needs - ([protein grams as above x 4] + [fat grams as above x 9])]
carbs in grams = above total/ 4
      03-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #29
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Also try this site if you are having trouble following what I posted:

http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/

It can calc the number for you
      03-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #30
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Thanks dude^ I'll take a look at that. I decided I should just lift as heavy as I comfortably can in the gym (already doing 45 lb chest presses, compared to 65 lbs before), as well as eat as much as I can (only clean foods). Personally, whenever I lift heavy and eat a lot I get pretty cut as well - not just bulky. I probably shouldn't cut my calories because I am already light as it is for my height. And I definitely don't gain weight easily at all. It really wouldn't make much sense to cut.

But thanks for all of that.

Last edited by TiAg335i; 03-23-2011 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #31
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

And don't worry about this "clean food" bullshit. Its cals in vs cals out (within reason of course) while hitting your P/F
      03-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #32
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
And don't worry about this "clean food" bullshit. Its cals in vs cals out (within reason of course) while hitting your P/F
Wrong, the nutritional value of those calories is important too. Try building muscle without good quality sources of protein in those calories.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #33
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Wrong, the nutritional value of those calories is important too. Try building muscle without good quality sources of protein in those calories.

What food item would you consider dirty?
      03-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #34
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What food item would you consider dirty?
Anything with a transfat or sugar ..

What would you consider to be a good source of protein from food to support muscle growth?

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #35
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Anything with a transfat or sugar ..

What would you consider to be a good source of protein from food to support muscle growth?
Are you asking me what specific food I consider a good source of protein?

McDonalds French Fries have no transfats or sugar. Thoughts?

03-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #36
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Are you asking me what specific food I consider a good source of protein?

McDonalds French Fries have no transfats or sugar. Thoughts?
Yeah I was interested in what foods you would eat to get protein for building muscle.

McDonalds french fries? Well I know I like to eat them! I wouldn't say they are a food you should never eat, but I'd be pretty careful about eating 500 calories (large serve) from one serve because you chomp it down and you don't usually feel satisfied. That kinda makes it hard to meet your daily calories.

Even their self reporting shows they contain saturated fats (3.5g) out of 25g of fat. And 350mg of sodium. So if I wanted to be lean I'd steer clear, but in general I'd consider a large serve of those to be something I'd eat every now and then if I felt like it. I'd have to re-arrange my daily calories to fit in though, if you follow my drift.

And if I used 500 calories on those, and out of that I got 6 g of protein, then I'd be thinking to myself .. where am I going to get the rest of that day's protein without eating too many calories.

I guess you have to balance being flexible with trying to eat as well as possible to support your goals. If you're interested in building a better body then I'm not sure McDonalds is top of your list. On the other hand it's not healthy to fixate too much either and a serve of fries once every now and then might give you a taste that allows you to eat well most of the time.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #37
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

I can respect that response.

For protein (for me): loads of red meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, whole milk, PB, etc.

I also crush Chipotle Burritos and Subway like no tomorrow.

However I do not count cals; it would drive me insane (and I party too much).

Me 3 weeks ago 5'9 162:

Some pics from my meals:

Bison Burger

"Loaded Scrambled Eggs"

Pre-Workout Meal:

03-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #38
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

That's making me hungry! I wish I could still eat like that any stay lean but the older you get the harder it is!

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #39
smokinHawk
623lb puller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340I XDrive MT Black

Quote:
I can respect that response.

For protein (for me): loads of red meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, whole milk, PB, etc.

I also crush Chipotle Burritos and Subway like no tomorrow.

However I do not count cals; it would drive me insane (and I party too much).

Me 3 weeks ago 5'9 162:

Some pics from my meals:

Bison Burger

Pre-Workout Meal:
looks like your about 14% bodyfat, i have no problem eating like that and staying at 13%
to get down to the 9% I am now i had to clean it up and reduce calories.
I am now eating about 1500-1800 cals a day as i am still cutting trying to get to 8% by summer, and keep as much muscle as I can. The less salt you have the less water you hold which also makes you look leaner.
my diet consists of
breakfast:
2eggs cooked in olive oil
protein shack

snack 1: bananna,
nuts and raisins up to lunch

lunch: chicken breast and .5 cup of brown rice

optional snack 2: either nuts and raisins or a TBL spoon of peanut butter

dinner: chicken breast and .5 cup of brown rice

optional snack 3: protein pudding and a glass of milk.
weekends i eat normal, but keep calories under 2500.
this diet helps me lose fat pretty quickly

for my exercise routine, i do very little cardio, but am starting to run more like 2 miles on saturday.
I following a heavy powerlifting style workout working all my muscle groups, lifting about 2 times a week, but will go back up to 4 days a week once i break from school.

last summer i bulked up to 195lbs @14%, then cut down to 180lbs at 10% by the end of fall, rebulked up this winter to 200lbs @13%, now am at 183lbs @9%, trying to get to 8% by summer, then will slow bulk up to 190lbs hopefully at no more then 11%. I am 5'8"

diet is very important, but if you dont have any muscle there, which most dont at 140ish lbs, your abs arent going to be that sharp.
I do heavy ab work, like incline situps with a 50lb dumbbell or other exercises that are heavy. I also do deep heavy squats which helps the abs.
with my at 14% my abs show better then some at 12%
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #40
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow Hawk that's super low to cut on at your weight, holy shit. You should re-do some math -

Do you know what your maintenance is??

You should be aiming for 1-1.5g of protein and .5g of fat per LBM. It's up to you if you would like the rest of the cals to come from carbs; most do.
      03-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #41
smokinHawk
623lb puller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340I XDrive MT Black

Quote:
Wow Hawk that's super low to cut on at your weight, holy shit. You should re-do some math -

Do you know what your maintenance is??

You should be aiming for 1-1.5g of protein and .5g of fat per LBM. It's up to you if you would like the rest of the cals to come from carbs; most do.
my maintenance is about 3000. this diet allows me to lose fat quickly.i drop about .25-.5" off my stomach per week if i follow that during the weekdays.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #42
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Ah I remember the days when I was cut lol.

Lucky you guys

I've gained about 60lbs of straight fat in the past 3-4 years.

went from a size 32 180lbs 10% body fat
to a size 36/38, 240lbs, god knows my body fat...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #43
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
my maintenance is about 3000. this diet allows me to lose fat quickly.i drop about .25-.5" off my stomach per week if i follow that during the weekdays.
That's way too fast IMO. No need to starve yourself to see results. If that is your maintenance, try to keep cals ~2500 and see the results after 2 weeks.

Are you working out too?
      03-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #44
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
I've got a decent cut going as of now, you can definitely see that I have a 6 pack, it's just not a RIPPED 6 pack. I'll be honest and say upfront that my diet isn't strict at all. I don't eat garbage but every now and then I'll have some ice cream or pie, but mostly I eat pretty good; lots of healthy protein like eggs and chicken and carbs like whole wheat bread and oatmeal.

I've been doing sub 8 minute mile runs after my workouts at the gym, as well as various ab exercises, but was wondering if anything else should be done. Obviously diet is important, what kind of diets are beneficial for ripped abs/midsection? Any suggestions on workouts/cardio are welcome too...
http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/carbcycling.htm
Appreciate 0