F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW F30 3 Series Q&A and FAQ. We Answer Your F30 Questions
Studio RSR

11-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW F30 3 Series Q&A and FAQ. We Answer Your F30 Questions
COMMENTS
Name:  P90081951.jpg
Views: 29301
Size:  108.0 KB

We recently asked our members to submit any questions relating to the F30 you may still have. We had the chance to get some answers for you from BMW during our F30 test drive in Barcelona last week, and here they are below.

If your question hasn't made it to the list it's probably because we don't have an answer (yet).
UPDATED on January 20th, 2012

Will the U.S. receive any diesel models?
There's no official yet word on this. BMW feels that the Active Hybrid 3 attracts different buyers than a diesel F30 would, so they're considering it. However, the E90 335d hasn't exactly been a sales success in the US, so they may be considering a different diesel engine offering this time.

Oliver Ganser: "We will not have a diesel for the model year 2012, but our last outgoing model (e90) was very successful with the diesel so we’re thinking about it."

When will xDrive be available?
Both 335i xDrive and 328i xDrive will be available as of July 2012 production.

Will xDrive be available with manual transmission?
For some models.

Will the xDrive model have an available sport suspension?
Yes, you can have sports suspension for the xDrive models now. The car will not be be lowered, however.

Is the wagon coming to the US?
There's no official date yet but the F31 wagon is coming to the US. Paul Ferraiolo confirmed this with us: "It's coming, we're not gettting rid of it, we love it", Ferraiolo said when we asked about the next generation 3 series touring. More from Ferraiolo: "The touring buyers - in terms of their passion for their touring model - they love it and feel very strongly about it."

Any Alcantara coming to the US?
No alcantara (and no cloth) in the US. This goes for the M-Sport package as well.

Electric or Hydraulic steering?
It's EPS, which is BMW's term for their electric power steering.

What generation runflat tires does the F30 use?
We use the latest generation RFT on the F30 now. It's a huge step forward in ride comfort, tread life, and noise reduction.

Is the PDC and Rearview camera the same set-up as in the 5 and 7?
Yes, same technologies flow down from the 5 series. There is front and rear PDC, rearview camera with parking guide lines, top down view, and front fender side view cameras.

Will a double clutch transmission be available?
No, BMW says a double clutch transmission adds no advantage over their newest 8-speed automatic. This obviously does not include the upcoming M3.

Will there be DCT option for M package 328i (N20)?
No, see above.

Why no staggered wheels standard for 328i?
Staggered wheels are available as optional wheels.
[Note: As far as we can tell, this applies to M Sport models only.]

Any plans to bring the uprated 315hp N55 in the 335i (as recently launched in the 6 Series Gran Coupe)?
No. The F30 N55 engine is the same engine as in the outgoing E90 model. We just decided that the 6 and 7 series will have the uprated N55 engine to 315hp. This won’t flow down to the F30. The uprated power in the 6 and 7 series comes from software only.
[Note: However, we were told during our F30 test drive in Barcelona that BMW is considering bringing the 315hp N55 to the F30 at some point (perhaps as a Performance option)].

Will there be BMW Performance parts for the F30, and if so, when?
Yes, BMW is currently working on their Performance parts program for the F30. This includes cosmetic parts (wheels, carbon fiber parts, etc.) and also performance options like a power upgrade for the 335i's N55 inline 6 (no power upgrade kit for the N20 inline 4 in the 328i). If everything goes well, the BMW Performance Program for the F30 will be available in late 2012.

Oliver Ganser: "You will see Performance parts soon."
[Note: Some BMW Performance and M Performance parts for the F30 have already been spotted [pictured right], via some photos taken at a recent dealer presentation - see the images here]

Will the M-Sport package include suspension updates?
Yes, the M Sport suspension is part of the M Sport package. There's also stand alone options for adaptive or non-adaptive M Sport suspension for cars not equipped with M Sport package.

Will xDrive come with electric or hydraulic steering?
Previously (as in the E9x and F10 models), BMW couldn't fit both xDrive and an electric steering rack due to packaging issues. They've now solved this, so xDrive models will have EPS (electric steering) as well.

Will the M Sport suspension will be available for on xDrive models?
Yes, adaptive and non-adaptive M Sport suspension options will be available for xDrive models, but it will not lower the car.

What about fixed-piston calipers?
The 335i comes standard with 4-pot fixed piston calipers front and floating calipers rear. The 328i has floating calipers on all four wheels.

What's the M Sport brake option?
The M Sport brake is a brake upgrade with 4-pot fixed piston calipers front and 2-pot fixed piston calipers rear. Rear brakes are 17 in. on both models while the front brakes are increased by one inch. Calipers will be painted blue (like the ones of the F10 M5) and will reduce unsprung weight.

What's the drag coefficient?
0.29 Cd for 328i and 0.30 Cd for 335i.

Each F30 model has been optimized for minimum drag and turbulence and to create directional airflow. A neat example - there are plastic aerodynamic sculpted sleeves on each rear control arm / wishbone to increase downforce and reduce turbulence on rear axle/suspension.

Are the aerodynamics of the F30 improved by the M-sport package, or is it only a cosmetic difference?
M Sport Package has same drag coefficient (Cd) value as the base models – 0.29 Cd for 328i and 0.30 Cd for 335i.

Is the F30's torsional stiffness higher than the E90's?
The F30 steel unibody's torsional stiffness is 30% higher than the E90.

When will the M-Sport package be available?
Production will begin July 2012 for September delivery. It can be ordered prior to July.

Will there be a power bump for the M Sport 335i?
No. We have increased cooling capabilities for the M Sport and Sport Line model, but no power bump. Many customers like the M Sport Package as just an aerodynamics package; that’s why we separated things like the Adaptive Sport Suspension and Sport Steering as options apart from the M Sport package, so customer can make choices between aesthetics and functional enhancements.

Why does the US M Sport model on display have no fog lights, unlike the European model?
For improved race capability. We need the air intakes for air. That’s why the fog lights are out. Because you have more driving on the racetracks than in Europe and you have different climate zones (some places are hotter). European models will keep their fog lights.

Will Adaptive Sport Suspension be standard on M Sport models?
Not standard, it will be an option.

Will M Sport brakes be included as part of M Sport Package for the US?
BMW have not decided this yet, but they will have the decision soon. The M Sport Package soon – July Production for September delivery. It can be ordered prior to July.

What is the default mode? Eco/Comfort/or Sport?
The F30 always defaults to Comfort mode.

When will Active Hybrid 3 be available, 9/2012?
Will also be offered in the same time frame.

When will Individual colors (exterior and interior) be available for the F30?
The suggested BMW Individual colors and combinations have not yet been released.
[Note: Remember, from our interview with Matt Russell last year at the NYIAS, any dealer can submit individual orders for you].

Latest status on F30 Front license plate mounting base:
The latest from BMWNA (as of 1/19) is that the first batch of 3 Series Sedans will be delivered to BMW Centers across the US with (but not necessarily attached) the large front license plate bracket shown in some recent photos. That is the reason we see it installed on some recent production cars. [Preproduction cars will still continue to be seen with it of course.]

As of last Thursday however, BMW production facilities have begun manufacturing a new license plate bracket that is smaller than the ones previously seen.

So, this means that some of the very early F30 cars will have the large front license plate base come with the cars, and the others that come after it will have a smaller plate base.

A front license plate holder will not be installed on US bound F30 models. A front license plate holder will be supplied for all cars in case it is bound for a State that requires front license plates. Sorry for any confusion that may have come from our previous posts on the matter. We were relaying what we found out and were told by BMW.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

"Rear brake discs are 17" " say what??? 17inch rotors in the REAR???

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
MR///M3
e90post veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: '12 M3, '09 335

the brake option for the msport models is pretty cool!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Why no power upgrade for the 328i?
      11-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000 View Post
Because I don't think the point of the 328i is for it to go 'fast' per say. BMW is using the N20 to lower it's fuel consumption across it's line.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

.26 CD, slippery. DCT has no advantage over the 8 speed? I suppose the DCT will shift faster, but it's disadvantage is a relatively tight high gear leading to less than the best highway fuel consumption.
      11-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke View Post
Sorry, I've changed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000 View Post
The stock output of the 328i is the limit of what BMW considers safe for this engine (at this point).

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Nater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Briskly

I'm curious if sport suspension will be availible on the F30 in the North American market. I understand that there is an adaptive suspension, but what about just a plain, non- adjustable sport suspension? This question may have been answered though I have obviously not seen it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater View Post
I'm curious if sport suspension will be availible on the F30 in the North American market. I understand that there is an adaptive suspension, but what about just a plain, non- adjustable sport suspension? This question may have been answered though I have obviously not seen it.
In england, they have this...sport suspension and adaptive m suspension...from the us ordering guide it looks to be the same.
      11-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
mofbb
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke View Post
LOL! 17" brake disc with 18" wheels, Perfect match !

E9X Picture Game: 2 points (Slow sign, Leaves)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

torsional stiffness up by 30% over E90.

I dont even... what the hell?!
      11-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Uggh, what the hell BMW. A sports suspension for xDrive that doesn't slightly lower the car? What's the point...if you're not going to go all the way with a sports suspension, why bother
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
Uggh, what the hell BMW. A sports suspension for xDrive that doesn't slightly lower the car? What's the point...if you're not going to go all the way with a sports suspension, why bother
Its better than nothing
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #14
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Why not just go aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Really interested in learning more about the M-Sport suspension and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Its better than nothing
It's not...why would I want a stiffer suspension that doesn't lower my center of gravity and doesn't improve the aesthetics of my car? It's absolutely pointless

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Why not just go aftermarket?
I'd rather not but I guess I'll have to if I choose to go with xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
It's not...why would I want a stiffer suspension that doesn't lower my center of gravity and doesn't improve the aesthetics of my car? It's absolutely pointless

I'd rather not but I guess I'll have to if I choose to go with xDrive.
Did you not get the sport suspension on your current xi? It's been the same for E46 and E90 xi cars, nothing new about this, unfortunately.

Thanks for the update though, very well done.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Did you not get the sport suspension on your current xi? It's been the same for E46 and E90 xi cars, nothing new about this, unfortunately.

Thanks for the update though, very well done.
There is no such thing as a sport suspension for xDrive cars. If you had chosen the sport package on the E90 with xDrive, it did not come with a revised suspension. This is the first time BMW is offering a stiffer sports suspension with an xDrive-equipped vehicle.

I'm just upset that it won't lower the car at all to give it a sportier look. You would think if someone checks off the "Adaptive M Suspension" option on their order sheet, they're going to expect that it's going to lower the vehicle to give it a more athletic stance
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

why would you expect a lower suspension on an xDrive car? that's like saying i want a BBW with a six pack
      11-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #20
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
why would you expect a lower suspension on an xDrive car? that's like saying i want a BBW with a six pack
Or an M version of the X5 and X6!

Oh, wait...
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #21
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
Because it only makes sense. I would not offer a lower xDrive suspension on a standard xDrive car. However, if a car is specifically outfitted with the M Adaptive Sport Suspension, it should come with a lowered ride height like it does on the RWD models.

If you buy a Benz C300 Sport sedan with AWD, it has a lower and firmer sport suspension than the C300 Luxury sedan with AWD. If you choose the Sport Package on an A4 with Quattro, it comes with a lowered sport suspension. I don't understand why BMW doesn't get this. Anyone actively choosing a sport option will sacrifice a half inch of ground clearance for a sportier look.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #22
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
There is no such thing as a sport suspension for xDrive cars. If you had chosen the sport package on the E90 with xDrive, it did not come with a revised suspension. This is the first time BMW is offering a stiffer sports suspension with an xDrive-equipped vehicle.

I'm just upset that it won't lower the car at all to give it a sportier look. You would think if someone checks off the "Adaptive M Suspension" option on their order sheet, they're going to expect that it's going to lower the vehicle to give it a more athletic stance
The idea is that if you are getting AWD you need the extra ground clearance in the winter. Stiffer springs still help handling.
Appreciate 0