F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Service Manual
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
nth_79
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Service Manual

What's the best service manual for the 2014 3 series GT? (in particular the 335 GT?) Can we buy the BMW factory service manual?

I have squeaky brakes when I backup, and want to see if adding brake quiet will help. I've done the rear brakes, which helped, but I think the front brakes are still squeaking and the dissassembly looks much more complicated and a service manual would help me figure out if this is something that I can do myself.

Also, it'd be helpful to have a clear guide on how to get to the battery in the back right of the trunk in case there are hidden catches. It's getting close to that time that the batteries may start dying in our model year 2014 versions.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
499
Rep
1,936
Posts

Drives: 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

I wouldn't be concerned about brake squeal when backing up. The pads take a 'set' in normal braking when going forward, so they're a bit off going backwards.
Service manuals aren't the greatest, as they assume you know what you're doing. Youtube videos are better.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
nth_79
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I wouldn't be concerned about brake squeal when backing up. The pads take a 'set' in normal braking when going forward, so they're a bit off going backwards.
Service manuals aren't the greatest, as they assume you know what you're doing. Youtube videos are better.
Have you found youtube videos for the front brakes or battery? That'd be really great.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
499
Rep
1,936
Posts

Drives: 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

I haven't looked for them. I could do a brake job in my sleep, and don't expect to need a battery swap for at least another three years.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
bimmer456
Second Lieutenant
24
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nth_79 View Post
What's the best service manual for the 2014 3 series GT? (in particular the 335 GT?) Can we buy the BMW factory service manual?

I have squeaky brakes when I backup, and want to see if adding brake quiet will help. I've done the rear brakes, which helped, but I think the front brakes are still squeaking and the dissassembly looks much more complicated and a service manual would help me figure out if this is something that I can do myself.

Also, it'd be helpful to have a clear guide on how to get to the battery in the back right of the trunk in case there are hidden catches. It's getting close to that time that the batteries may start dying in our model year 2014 versions.

Thanks!
The Bentley Manuals are a popular resource or even YouTube. Battery replacements can be tricky but it seems like it's easier on the f30 than the e90. There's only one hold down and the power distributor doesn't bolt directly on top of the battery but is off to the side with a positive battery cable that connects to the battery, like a conventional setup. You still have to code the battery, however. DIY can save you a couple hundred bucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:54 AM   #6
nth_79
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
The Bentley Manuals are a popular resource or even YouTube. Battery replacements can be tricky but it seems like it's easier on the f30 than the e90. There's only one hold down and the power distributor doesn't bolt directly on top of the battery but is off to the side with a positive battery cable that connects to the battery, like a conventional setup. You still have to code the battery, however. DIY can save you a couple hundred bucks.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
smithie
New Member
United Kingdom
1
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: F34 GT Msport
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: europe

iTrader: (0)

battery change

Hi all,

Just a word of warning - you DO need to register the battery. Its part of the process when you hook up the car to ISTA. I'm assuming its the same in the US on AGM batteries (stop starts)..

It can send things a bit haywire if you don't register the battery, overcharge etc...sadly, not like the old cars where you just replace the battery....

It was defo the other way round - E90 easier to swap batteries...didn't need registering...


rgds
Smithie

Last edited by smithie; 03-15-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bmw service manual brakes battery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 PM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST