F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Cilajet, Modesta, Opticoat ?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Eyenerd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi GC and 2012 3.5 X3

Cilajet, Modesta, Opticoat ?

How would you guys rank these coatings?

I have a new car on delivery so trying to decide what's best to have done, as well as getting the best price from the dealership if I do decide Cilajet is worth it if its much cheaper than doing the other two.

I've seen mixed reviews on Cilajet, but one pro for it is that with the lifetime warranty the dealership will re-do it if I ever have a problem, vs the others I dont think any detailer will do it again for free..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
snj49er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyenerd View Post

I have a new car on delivery so trying to decide what's best to have done, as well as getting the best price from the dealership if I do decide Cilajet is worth it if its much cheaper than doing the other two.

I've seen mixed reviews on Cilajet, but one pro for it is that with the lifetime warranty the dealership will re-do it if I ever have a problem, vs the others I dont think any detailer will do it again for free..
Not familiar with Modesta or Cilajet, but you might want to include CQuartz Finest in you consideration. IMO, much of the final appearance has to do with how well the paint is prepped and I'd be reluctant to rely on a dealership to handle that. While it's possible that they contract out for this service, you'd probably be better served to use a detailing shop with a good reputation in your area.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Eyenerd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi GC and 2012 3.5 X3

Thanks for the input, I think I'll do the Xpel film on the front half of the car, and then try and do one of these on top as soon as I can when I have the cash.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
Exterminador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyenerd View Post

I had the cilajet done to my car and was not impressed at all. Unfortunately I just totaled it and ordered another.

I will detail it myself.

1. Wash
2. Clay bar
3. Polish with porter cable (menzerna with white pad)
4. Sealant (klasse)
5. Wax (p21s)

Can't go wrong
Appreciate 0