F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > xDrive Suspension
proTUNING Freaks

02-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Banksy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

xDrive Suspension

I have read a lot of comments on the forum about the lack of sport suspension on the xDrive models. The configuration still allows selection of adaptive suspension though which will presumably include sport mode. so is this really the case? Is the handling and body roll compromised by xDrive? Will be test driving in due course but feedback in the meantime would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

When I test drove the 320i xDrive I was impressed. I like firm suspension and it is just that, but not overly so in my opinion. I'd read motoring press talking about needing the adaptive suspension to make it the best car in class handling wise, but the dealer actually told me not to waste the cash and I have to agree with them. The car is supposedly still lowered by 10mm and with sports suspension according to the specs. It drove great to me and I didn't want to splash out on adaptive suspension that would perhaps just give me the option for a softer ride i don't want.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
gavmobile
Rep
Drives: V70 D5

I'm certainly expecting my m-sport xdrive to have m-sport suspension. I decided not to choose adaptive as was happy with the ride in the RWD MSport I tested. I was also a bit suspicious that the three dealers I was talking too all told me it wasn't worth it.

Anyway, although the standard suspension won't be catastrophic in my opinion I'll be a bit disappointed that it wasn't pointed out to me
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
When I test drove the 320i xDrive I was impressed. I like firm suspension and it is just that, but not overly so in my opinion. I'd read motoring press talking about needing the adaptive suspension to make it the best car in class handling wise, but the dealer actually told me not to waste the cash and I have to agree with them. The car is supposedly still lowered by 10mm and with sports suspension according to the specs. It drove great to me and I didn't want to splash out on adaptive suspension that would perhaps just give me the option for a softer ride i don't want.
I think I would check the dealer is telling the truth as BMW confirmed is is not 10mm lower and does not have the sport springs, I had a good test drive of X Drive before committing to new car and have gone with RWD and get set of winters , have to say great grip but this also loses some of the driving experience for me, but I think it depends what you have been driving before, the ride height and lack of sport spring put me off slightly tbo , but then I was not even looking for AWD until it was an option
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavmobile View Post
I'm certainly expecting my m-sport xdrive to have m-sport suspension. I decided not to choose adaptive as was happy with the ride in the RWD MSport I tested. I was also a bit suspicious that the three dealers I was talking too all told me it wasn't worth it.

Anyway, although the standard suspension won't be catastrophic in my opinion I'll be a bit disappointed that it wasn't pointed out to me
If I was you I would do a back to back review and as my post above I got conformation no sport springs in X Drive
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

It's amazing how things can get to you, I started looking into this following this thread then thought "hang on, I test drove it and was happy with the ride and handling so why am I bothered!".
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
It's amazing how things can get to you, I started looking into this following this thread then thought "hang on, I test drove it and was happy with the ride and handling so why am I bothered!".
That's why it's so important to take a long drive and buy what meets your needs not what the dealer thinks as a lot have little knowledge in some areas as its not there hard earned buy it, have to say the X Drive was softer the F31 I drove with standard m sport set up and it was still compliant and firm with little body role
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
gavmobile
Rep
Drives: V70 D5

The lack of a delete MSport suspension option on the configurator does seem to confirm it. Strange then that the adaptive suspension option is cheaper on an MSport xdrive vs a Luxury xdrive

It's not a deal breaker for me and the deal as long been done. I've owned BMWs of both rock hard MSport variety and SE. Both entertained me way more than any of their rivals

I got xdrive as I've wanted one since I saw a 325ix e30 in the US about 25 years ago. Didn't buy it for winter specifically and coming from a Volvo something that isn't akin to driving an armchair will be great
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

It's definitely lowered by 10mm though isn't it? It certainly handled well and was flat through corners with good control. I'd guess the engineers know what they're doing!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
I think I would check the dealer is telling the truth as BMW confirmed is is not 10mm lower and does not have the sport springs, I had a good test drive of X Drive before committing to new car and have gone with RWD and get set of winters , have to say great grip but this also loses some of the driving experience for me, but I think it depends what you have been driving before, the ride height and lack of sport spring put me off slightly tbo , but then I was not even looking for AWD until it was an option
I have a F31 Xdrive 330d with adaptive suspension on order. Dealer and their quote does not say anything was different about the suspension compared to that fitted to the standard car and logically I cannot see why it would be different.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Banksy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

It's a bit cheeky that the same £1845 premium for xDrive applies for the MSport if the suspension is being downgraded to a standard set up found in the SE.

I wonder why Audi and Mercedes can offer a lowered sport suspension on their AWD models and BMW can't.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorroone View Post
I have a F31 Xdrive 330d with adaptive suspension on order. Dealer and their quote does not say anything was different about the suspension compared to that fitted to the standard car and logically I cannot see why it would be different.
If you check this out BMW have confirmed on this site that its not the same as cant go lower for the angle of the drive shafts causing problem so that was one of the reason for me to stick RWD just check two with same wheels with a tape measure
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
It's a bit cheeky that the same £1845 premium for xDrive applies for the MSport if the suspension is being downgraded to a standard set up found in the SE.

I wonder why Audi and Mercedes can offer a lowered sport suspension on their AWD models and BMW can't.
It's because Audi starts as FWD and BMW still drive rears and add shafts for front with 60|40 split so completely different set up transverse engine as well
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I guess it's a heavily revised front suspension set up for the xDrive anyway, as BMW state, so perhaps the outcome is that it's a firmed up ride anyway over the SE.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you check this out BMW have confirmed on this site that its not the same as cant go lower for the angle of the drive shafts causing problem so that was one of the reason for me to stick RWD just check two with same wheels with a tape measure
I sent an email to dealer last night. No reply yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I sent an email to dealer last night. No reply yet.
The info on the site was confirmed by BMW direct I will be supprised if your dealer is aware of this but please up date me when they reply dealers can be good at telling us what we want to here
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The info on the site was confirmed by BMW direct I will be supprised if your dealer is aware of this but please up date me when they reply dealers can be good at telling us what we want to here
All very strange. I noticed on the USA forum a thread on the same issue. It's not very clear, certainly on the BMW UK web page.

Thanks for bringing this forward. I will let you know what I get back from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #18
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
All very strange. I noticed on the USA forum a thread on the same issue. It's not very clear, certainly on the BMW UK web page.

Thanks for bringing this forward. I will let you know what I get back from the dealer.
Not a problem I'm not trying to put you off as I think it will be great car and the American section had said lots had been told the e90 X Drive could be fitted with m sport springs , just good if the dealer had the info most won't car and just want AWD but I did research and you can get 90% of the grip with winters on RWD and the extra 10% with winters and AWD as braking won that not helped with AWD without winters
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

90% of Xdrive grip on a RWD with winters? How does that conclusion come about?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #20
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
90% of Xdrive grip on a RWD with winters? How does that conclusion come about?
That was based on test done by BMW I believe it's the tyres not the AWD that contact the road , I was very keen on the X Drive remember how many times over the years I have been to Glenshee and Avimore with the Beemer and always got there and back
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #21
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Agree that tyres are the key, my choice would be an Xdrive on 18" winters, should be a pretty sure combination.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #22
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Agree that tyres are the key, my choice would be an Xdrive on 18" winters, should be a pretty sure combination.
Have to agree with that , yes the X Drive and 18'' would be ideal for certian times of year for sure. We get so little snow near the coast, know ive gone and done it will likely snow next week
Appreciate 0