F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Seat Swap Coding Help
Extreme Powerhouse

06-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
DSH7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Seat Swap Coding Help

Hi all, I need some advice with coding. I've coded a few times with success, but I'm definitely an amateur and it's still intimidating to me.

I recently did a seat swap from heated manual to heated electric w/memory. The wiring and install went very well and everything worked except for the memory function and drivers side heat which I hoped coding would fix.

As per the guide I was using I added 459 and coded FEM and HU. The memory and drivers side heat still doesn't work and now my AC panel shuts on and off and my idrive is glitchy. I have know idea what went wrong.

Question #1 is how to fix the errors? Should I re code from scratch? (Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => R-Click ECU (itself NOT CAFD below) => Select CODE)

Question #2 Anyone know the proper procedure to get the memory working? There seems to be a ton of VO for different seat configurations. I have the same seats as the guide I was using and it says "add 459 to VO and VO code FEM and HU. In some cases, CAFD injection to SM/SM2 may be also required" Which ECU would that be under?

Thanks to anyone that can offer some assistance.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSH7 View Post
Hi all, I need some advice with coding. I've coded a few times with success, but I'm definitely an amateur and it's still intimidating to me.

I recently did a seat swap from heated manual to heated electric w/memory. The wiring and install went very well and everything worked except for the memory function and drivers side heat which I hoped coding would fix.

As per the guide I was using I added 459 and coded FEM and HU. The memory and drivers side heat still doesn't work and now my AC panel shuts on and off and my idrive is glitchy. I have know idea what went wrong.

Question #1 is how to fix the errors? Should I re code from scratch? (Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => R-Click ECU (itself NOT CAFD below) => Select CODE)

Question #2 Anyone know the proper procedure to get the memory working? There seems to be a ton of VO for different seat configurations. I have the same seats as the guide I was using and it says "add 459 to VO and VO code FEM and HU. In some cases, CAFD injection to SM/SM2 may be also required" Which ECU would that be under?

Thanks to anyone that can offer some assistance.
SM2 is its own module.

There is a cheat sheet that gives you all the information on here.
      06-12-2020, 08:51 PM   #3
DSH7
Private First Class
Rep

There's nothing in the cheat sheet about seat memory coding...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:48 PM   #4
DSH7
Private First Class
Rep

Hoping someone can help...

The guide I used for coding seat memory said: "In some cases, CAFD injection to SM/SM2 may be also required"

I'm not showing an sm or sm2 module. Even after VO coding seat memory. Is there a trick to get those modules to appear?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
Matador_cro
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

So, you definitely have to see the SM/SM2 module on the list, and of course a green dot next to it, and if not, you have to inject the latest CAFD or the CAFD that is best matching to your current i-step...
One of the reason that it doesn`t work, is the type and year of the Seat Module (SM/SM2)...there are two types, till 07/2013 and after 07/2013...so, check please the date on your big white module under the drivers seat. If it`s not matching your car`s product year, you have to change the module. The older module is CAN, and the newer is CAN2...
If everything above is ok, check please your wiring, fuses, grounding cables, because it`s not plug and play, some things have to be changed...like for example, after swaping the el. seats, the drivers seat is not controlled via LIN any more, it`s controlled via K-CAN, new 12v wire should be connected from the fuse box under the hood...and so on...which i hope that you already have done...
And yes, if you get it done working, and the SM module apears on your list with a green dot CAFD, you have to VO code FEM, HU, REM and ACSM
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 01:16 AM   #6
DSH7
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the response, but I got everything working last week. New seats are 2017 so KCAN2. I spliced in behind the head unit and everything's mint.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 08:38 PM   #7
olaslover
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Z4 seat swap question

If I replace seats in a 2010 Z4 35i with seats out of a 2011 Z4 35i would they have to be recoded or reprogrammed??
Thnx to anyone that knows the answer.
Appreciate 0